headphone for monitering

Letthebeatbuild

Okay so I've just recently been messing around with FL Studio and getting the feel of the interface a bit. I think I'm ready to start practicing putting together some better sounding beats. I don't have the ideal place for my home studio so for now I'm looking for a decent pair of headphones rather than monitors. I don't need top line stuff but I think I need a better pair than the Samsung headphones that came with my phone. Lol

Budget is around $100.

I would like to stay around 50-60 but if the extra money is a big quality jump than I can make it work.

Thanks

There's a lot of posts on the forum about that.
First, for good stereo representation, you want monitor speakers to mix. Certainly if you're gonna do even a half ass atempt at mastering (which I can understand. Unless you're earning bucks with what you do, or are on the verge of, it's a ***** to be paying for mastering your tracks).
Anyway, check this post, https://www.futureproducers.com/for...s-need-solid-replacement-478001/#post49800232
That's the last post I replied in where headphones been discussed. I still swear by the GMP 8.300D, It's a pitty a lot of you guys come from America, but I'd definitely can advise you to get a pair shipped, if you also live in America. Otherwise, check the topic.
Beyederynamics 770 and Sony HD25 are about the beez neez around payable prices. Just check the topic or use the search function on the forum.

Last edited:
I use Sony MDR's (7506) and they are reliable and surprisingly accurate. (As accurate as headphones can get...)

They fold, come with a protective bag and if they broke, I'd buy another set.

Oh yeah, they'll run you about $100.

Not to mention tons of studio dwellers use them..

How much is the sound from interface better than from computer? I know it depends on interface, but I have scarlett 2i2 and how much is it better? Also BC, would you notice the difference as experienced engineer?

difference will be the difference in stock audio drivers for a mobo soundcard that may be just barely acceptable and custom driers for the interface designed to maximise performance of the interface

as for whether I could hear the difference at the level of a scarlett 2i, maybe maybe not

Mostly it's all about drivers? Thank you, I didn't know that.

One question: I use asio4all drivers. Would be better to use original drivers of my interface. (I suppose yes, but I have never did that)

Last edited by a moderator:
drivers and shift in processing from on-board to off-board

as for using asio4all vs native drivers for the interface - asio4all was developed and designed specifically to provide asio functionality to mobo based soundcards - if you are not using a built-in soundcard you should not be using asio4all

I'm with SFRTAXX, I use SONY MDR7506s as well. I got mine for a little over $90 a year or so ago and they are absolutely fantastic. They have a great frequency response; really lets you hear those bassy frequencies pretty well. My personal opinion is that they can be just a tad bright around the 3-4k range, but it's definitely no deal breaker.

I use the headphones a majority of the time, but I master using them and speakers. You cannot properly finish a track by using headphones alone. If you have speakers now and they're halfway decent, I'd say you should be perfectly fine with getting good headphones as well. However, if you have neither, your goal should be to get both good quality cans and speakers.

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the 7506s. Should be here Thursday. Found them on amazon new for $84 which seemed fair from the reviews. Thanks again.

And to add.... yeah I plan on getting monitors as soon as I move here in a few months. I think the headphones will be a good start since right now all I'm doing is getting used to my DAW and getting comfortable putting together my patterns. Again thanks for all the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Figured I'd give a follow up since I don't see to many. I got my sony 7506s today. Before this I've had normal 20$ pairs or ones that came with my phone. These things are amazing compared to them. Sound is crisp, you notice so much more. I'm not to experienced but I'd recommend these to any beginner. That soind way different and you'll pick up little things that your not use to. Thanks.

Back