Hardware = more appealing!?

Blappy Mason

http://allthingsbeatrelat
ok, so I have come to the conclusion that software is easily way more customizable, and probably better at adapting to the many different ways people make and play music, but for some reason I dont find it nearly as engaging.

For some reason I find hardware production equipment really inspiring. My setup is basically just a mpc 3000, a turntable and random sound modules. Every time I look at any hardware I instantly want to make beats. Is that retarded? lol

Of course its not retarded. Software is primarily about flexibility, portability and overall convenience. These three things although extremely important, may not necessarily inspire you or bring out your creativity. Every person is different, and should look to have a unique setup that caters to their personality and musical needs. There are some that find alot of comfort in the conveniences of software and cannot fathom working any other way today. Dont worry about making your setup look like anyone elses, just make sure the pieces of the puzzle make sense for who you are as a musician.

Of course its not retarded. Software is primarily about flexibility, portability and overall convenience. These three things although extremely important, may not necessarily inspire you or bring out your creativity. Every person is different, and should look to have a unique setup that caters to their personality and musical needs. There are some that find alot of comfort in the conveniences of software and cannot fathom working any other way today. Dont worry about making your setup look like anyone elses, just make sure the pieces of the puzzle make sense for who you are as a musician.

great post

Those are good pints "Focused". I agree completely, that is very sound advice. I'm not really looking to have a setup that looks like somebody elses or not, I'm more concerned with the fact that I know there is probably some software out there that offers way more options but I would much rather use my 3k as the brain of my setup, lol. Your assessment was spot on.

Ya I am starting to feel the same way. I mean I look at my computer and it makes me feel like I'm going to write a paper or some shit and not really give me that music making vibe. I think part of it for me is that a computer can do so many things its insane. That's why I'm looking all over ebay to try and find me an mp at a decent price (college student here)

Yeah, I think eventually something will come out that is a dedicated groovebox that can run independent of a computer that is just as appealing as some of the hardware of yesteryear, but it just seems like nobody sees the value in that.

Software does tire me a bit, been thinking about gettin a 505 and taking a walk on the hardware side of things, can't really get that grimy sound on software that I want (but I can get close though)

Hardware more inspiring but keep open mind

I've had a ASR-X, and MPC4000, and MPC500 and SP-303 to include the Sonic Cell but now I've narrowed down to the MPC500 SP-303 and Sonic Cell for smaller footprint and adequate power. The 4K is more than I'll ever need based on my style of music but it was a gift so I tried but could not get past the bulkiness and bloated features I don't need. I have some keys (Axiom 25) as well and it's plenty for me. I do plan to integrate the Sonic Cell and some VSTs with DAW but we'll see. Again, keep and open mind and go where your inspiration takes you.

If your hardware is what inspires you to be creative then thats all that matters.

Personally I try not to get caught up on which medium i choose. Use everything that is avaliable too your advantage.

Agree with Statixx... do you and remember one thing about music it aint the gear its the techniques u use to create a distinct sound and feel that at least u feel is your own

when im using software the sounds are usually there but getting to them is a pain and i lose interest and the feeling of making a beat. When im my motif everything is quick and i could make something just like that but the lack of sounds is what gets me. And i could always get more hardware but its just so pricy and does take up a bit of room and then there is another machine i gotta learn.Thinking about getting the next mpc when it drops or hopefully the linndrum 2 when it drops.

Akai's next MPC will be a controller software version like Arturia recently released or like the Maschine. I'm betting the days of seeing a self contained hardware model from them is over. It'll be a VPC or XPC name or some thing like that. Long live the MPC and the history it made

Last edited:
Kev Brown was sayin that Akai might not make MPCs anymore, hope that makes them cheaper on ebay lol! What's Ensoniq gonna do in 2011, when the demand for hardware is basically a niche thing

Ensoniq hasnt made anything since 1998 lol. I dont see Akai coming with another mpc anytime soon either. The demand just isn't there when people think they are just Mpds without computers lol.

Haven't you heard dude? Ensoniq is supposed to come back in 2011!!! Look it up!!!

I believe it is a mistake for Akai not to keep up the MPC tradition. They would be best to keep the hardware and expand it into compatible software/hardware. I just keep on dreaming.

Haven't you heard dude? Ensoniq is supposed to come back in 2011!!! Look it up!!!

Ensoniq has not made any official announcement. Its just a rumor. There is an ensoniq.com site up now that just has all the parts people have been scooping off of ebay for years lol.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

I believe it is a mistake for Akai not to keep up the MPC tradition. They would be best to keep the hardware and expand it into compatible software/hardware. I just keep on dreaming.

yeah I dont see why akai dropped the ball with the Machine concept that people were asking about almost 10 years ago. Now Machine is probably the most talked about drum machine on the market based on what people begged akai for as recent as 2003-2004.

Back