Hands down best hip hop producer, There can only b 1!!

Kevlar070

In dis post I wanna open up a discussion dat might have been a debate 4 years, way b4 a couple of u reading dis were alive probably.
2 b fair imma keep it 2 90's producers dat influence de generation of 2days great producers n rappers.
Maybe som research might need 2 b done by som of u, so dat ur replies cud sound educated, but i'll put it out n see wah feedback u guys giv me.

My top debated producers fo de #1 spot in no particular order are: Pete Rock
DJ Premier
RZA
I know som wud ask, "y isnt dre in there"?
Well after research on his critical acclaimed releases i realised dr dre gets alotta help, from warren g, daz dillinger, mel man, scott storch, dj quick n de list goes on.

R.I.P J-Dilla shud b there 2 actually but we'll keep it to the living legends of hip hop, although his music does liv on.

Let me know which 1 u tink out of the 3 shud b @ de top.

PS: If u tink someone else shud b in der also like dungeon family(Outkast, Goodie mob) for example. Then ur welcome 2 add whoever u tink n motivate y u tink they shud b numba 1, they do need 2 b from early nineties and have an impressive track record like de 3 i mentioned.

Last edited:
If I was stuck on an island with one producer's discography, it would be a damn tough choice.Primo and 9th Wonder are always in my top 5. The other 3 switch depending on my mood. Alchemist, Havoc, Madlib and Khrysis. Today it would be a toss up between 9th wonder and Havoc. I just copped 9th Wonder's latest beat tape Bladey Mae and it was fire. Havoc got that heat too though!!! Havoc wins by a close margin.

No dre u crazy. You're excluding the NWA years, plus most great cats work with people. For example, most of Quincy best stuff came working with other cats.
Finally, dont forget about Marley Marl

Pop Wansel is one of my favorite producers. I know he's mainstream but this guy is a creative mastermind. He samples and plays the keys really well.

Talent recognize talent

Skrillex is just noise.

I'm attempted to always put DJ Premier at #1 cause of his name i guess and his ill scratch-cuts which is just the definition of Hip-Hop.
But talking about the best beatmaker i would say Pete Rock & J Dilla are better musicians.
Nicolay from the Foreign Exchange is in my top 5 to cause he does Hip-Hop/R&B/Dance all that in one.

1 DJ Premier
2 Pete Rock
3 J Dilla
4 Dr. Dre
5 Nicolay

Gotta throw Large Professor and Kanye in there.

But picking one is..man, you'd have to study their entire discographies, but Premo is probably the one.

Plus Premo been making Classics as late as 2011. That born in the trap was a hip-hop classic.

Last edited:
Skrillex is just noise.

I'm attempted to always put DJ Premier at #1 cause of his name i guess and his ill scratch-cuts which is just the definition of Hip-Hop.
But talking about the best beatmaker i would say Pete Rock & J Dilla are better musicians.
Nicolay from the Foreign Exchange is in my top 5 to cause he does Hip-Hop/R&B/Dance all that in one.

1 DJ Premier
2 Pete Rock
3 J Dilla
4 Dr. Dre
5 Nicolay

Black text owns joo :p

No particular order

Primo
Pete Rock
Madlib
Wax Tailor (though he may not fall into this completely)
Nicolay (overlooked a lot)
Alchemist

This is not a category that is easy to narrow into one person only (as my black text stated)

How come sample based producers always get more recognition?

I have a theory on that and it goes like this...

People want new and creative music, but at the same time they want something they can identify with that is familiar. This can be a chord progression that reminds them of something they have heard before or a sample of an old familiar tune. Music takes time to progress moreso than any other art because of this.

For examples of this look to people like Capt. Beefheart, Mike Patton (and his many projects) and even Tom Waites to a degree. To many this is just noise with no definable familiarity to relate to or a difficult rhythm to wrap their heads around. Now take those same groups and mix it with a familiar or acceptable sample or rhythm and you get an entirely different creature that appeals to a much wider audience easily.

Probably not the greatest explanation of my theory but I have thought about this quite a bit.

Hip hop was started with using samples so let's get that out of the way. I'm sure there's a youtube clip dat cudda told u dat. Most of the suggestions given were mostly producers dat cant compete wid de catalog of atleast de 3 i gave.
I can fo sure accept Havoc and defeinitly large Professor they influenced almost every producer directly r indirectly.

I also like de DJ Quick suggestion caus he did his ting n produced alot fo 2nd 2 none n many other westcoast classics primarily by himself, did hav his own style n it influenced dat whole coast.

Marly marl did his ting in de 80's n datz a lil far back, not de golden era of rap but he does deserve utmost respect as a pioneer.

9th wonder n khrysis n nicolay r all from de same circle, i got respect 4 them, but they got poppin in 2000 so dey dont count, but they r defeinitly direct students of Pete Rock and RZA, Dj Premier, Havoc and Large Pro. Same thing with madlib and alchemist, if u listen to their sound u can tell they channeling atleast 1 of de 5 producers.

Dr dre shud b in there also but if u look @ his catalog of the 90's its very suspect, there's 2 much outiside influences in his production. Scott storch was a understudy of dr dre n he had a nice run but wasnt consistent fo a long time. he started out with the roots n all da but his produceing career was short.

So we got : Dj premier, Pete Rock, RZA, Large Professor, Dj Quick and Havoc.

I wouldnt start a thread 2 discuss top 5 we gotta try narrow it down to 1. I kno its hard datz y i threw it out there 2 get som help from u guys n i luv de feedback n got respect 4 all who put their input.

Back