Guitar Center and the end of big box retail

Guitar Center is cool but they are always trying to upsell you. They always try to push the extended warranty on you or get you to buy some overpriced crap that you know you don't need. I like to browse GC and then find the cheapest price online. I also like the 30 day return policy so i can try stuff out and if i don't like it i can take it back or buy it elsewhere for cheaper. All that being said, i hope they don't close because it gives me somewhere to go while my girl is spending 7 hours picking out a shirt in another store.

That sucks. I used my credit card from them to by stuff and help build my credit. But I shop on Sweetwater, eBay and Amazon now since there isn't a GC near me. Sad to see it go, but I will get over it.

Maybe I get a different experience because I'm black(see, sometimes bigotry works in your favor). Everytime I go to GC to buy something, they ignore me for other customers until I find what I want and tell them I'm ready to be rung up. They never try to upsale me and brush over the warranty crap everytime. I can't complain, lol.

But, I'm like, man, I thought they did okay. I'll miss being able to just drive out to grab something when I need it. I hate waiting on gear in the mail.

Guitar Center is cool but they are always trying to upsell you. They always try to push the extended warranty on you or get you to buy some overpriced crap that you know you don't need. I like to browse GC and then find the cheapest price online. I also like the 30 day return policy so i can try stuff out and if i don't like it i can take it back or buy it elsewhere for cheaper. All that being said, i hope they don't close because it gives me somewhere to go while my girl is spending 7 hours picking out a shirt in another store.

the first part is standard selling procedures in any high end store (Electronics/auto/etc)

the fact that you admit to using gc as a hands on test center and then buy it elsewhere is probably why they are seeing a softening of their financial position - you can't be the only one doing that - but then they also contribute to that by not insisting on some form of commitment from customers

30 days is way too long for "return for refund", it also makes it much more difficult to sell the returned item as it cannot be sold as new and so they take a hit on the profitability of the resale.

I am certain that if they could do it "return for store/chain credit" would eliminate some of the return issues they have.

That and a "if you find it cheaper elsewhere we will refund the difference plus 5%" policy would all but eliminate the return to buy it elsewhere cheaper problems completely - unless you are getting free shipping on your cheaper alternative, you will be spending more than the cheap price anyway, so finding it and getting the 5% discount for having it in store has to be good for business

Don't have the issues with gc here in Australia, but most music stores now are either family chains or individual mom/pop ventures. The one big chain (out of 3 big chains (Palings, Allans, Billy Hyde) that folded/merged over the last 40 years) almost went under but was rescued by a few industry heavyweights (read mega-successful recording and touring musicians) who realised that if they let if close there would be little to inspire new musicians - so there is hope that gc may enter a similar rejuvenated state

Last edited:
From Eric Garland said:
Guitar Center be broke, and they are hoping that the economy gets better so people buy more guitars.
This reminds me of Dave Chappelle's part in Con Air when he was explaining the escape plan.

Maybe I get a different experience because I'm black(see, sometimes bigotry works in your favor). Everytime I go to GC to buy something, they ignore me for other customers until I find what I want and tell them I'm ready to be rung up. They never try to upsale me and brush over the warranty crap everytime. I can't complain, lol.

But, I'm like, man, I thought they did okay. I'll miss being able to just drive out to grab something when I need it. I hate waiting on gear in the mail.

I'm the same way. But then again, they know me at my GC. They know I know my shit, and they know I know exactly what I want.

They also know I spend money too. So when I come in, they instantly tell me the new cool toys that they just got in.

Yup. They never approach me as well. But I also give off the "I'll talk to you when I'm ready" vibe...

...I pretty much use GC as a hands on testing center as well. The only things I purchase new through them are things that I need now and are better bought new. (eg: headphones, pop filters and the like.) Let's be real, with so many people on CL in my area selling gear for up to 60% off retail (sometimes more) the decision isn't hard.

.....As with buying anything second hand tho you've gotta know what to look for so you don't get played because a lot of people will sell ish that's fcuked up...

I remember my first purchase at GC.. right when the mo6 was new, DAMN like what, 8, 9 years DAMN!! They sold me a bran new model that they just sat out on the floor, and a pair of Bx5A monitors all all the wires/ cables / manuals. also a midi interface for something like $1,100.00 total.

They didn't try to push me into anything, I told em straight up what I was working with and what I wanted to do, so they showed me several options and equipment combos I could have bought.. I didn't know hardly shit back then, so I thought that was cool as hell giving me additional discounts and shit, because all that shit I got was well over worth 1,000 dollars in my mind.

Also bought some mics and mixers later on, they cut more deals. Like a lot of money saved. I know they have room to wiggle but I thought every time they had good deals in the store.

I'm the same way. But then again, they know me at my GC. They know I know my shit, and they know I know exactly what I want.

They also know I spend money too. So when I come in, they instantly tell me the new cool toys that they just got in.
Know what, I honestly assume they don't remember me, but it may be this. Now i feel bad for playing the race card, lol.

Well, if the guy's info is accurate, then GC's "junk bond" status is telling... But there seems to be a disconnect here-- in my town, they are building a brand new Guitar Center, twice the size of the one already here, and as far as I know, they aren't closing the first one. Plus, they are still hiring new people, so what up wit dat???

I hope they don't close. Most (well, just about all) of the locally owned "mom & pop" music stores are gone. I like looking at and trying out gear live and in-person, and I like talking to someone knowledgeable that knows me and my needs (my local GC actually has such a person that I trust, believe it or not). I buy a lot of stuff on-line, but only the used/pre-owned variety. Anything new comes from GC, and I like their price-matching.

Plus, I can research gear (read: hang-out in the store for hours without buying anything) there until I'm actually ready to pick it up or order. I would hate to have to become an "on-line exclusive" shopper.

GJ

guitar center these days is complete trash..i like schooling their employees about music stuff, they always wanna sell me the wackest stuff,,,half the stuff on the discount table dont even work...it is a truly over-priced, poorly managed place...they should of dropped their prices 3 years ago...

UpnComer-- The trick is to find somebody in the store who is actually knowledgeable and somewhat personable; there's got to be someone that works at your local GC who fits the bill. Then only deal with that one person. Advanced tip-- they most likely don't look "young and hip," and he (most likely "he") probably has some grey hair.

As to being "over-priced," you do know that they'll price-match if you can provide proof, don't know? That's why so many of the stores have regulated prices; it's like buying gas for the car now.

It's not that I love "big box" stores so much, but with the "Walmartization" of America fully in-place as the "Digitization" of America continues to creep into retail, I just can't stomach the alternative. All of my old haunts are gone. GC is like the last vestige. At least we still have a couple of cool record shops that actually sell physical product in my town...

GJ

I do factor in shipping costs when considering a purchase at Guitar Center. I also frequently use their coupons when they have them and I've spent more than my fair share of cash at GC over the years between DJ equipment and production hardware/software. The unfortunate reality for retailers is that they have to compete for my dollars with Amazon and Amazon doesn't give a crap about profits (watch a Jeff Bezos interview if you don't believe me). They just want me to use their website. I also consider the price matching. All that being said, I got kids and bills n sh*t so I don't feel any obligation to try to keep my local GC, or any other retailer for that matter, open and in business. They have to be competitive in this economy or they'll go extinct. Also, the employees at my local GC encourage using the 30 day return period as a time to try products out... So I do!

OK, fair-enough, H&H, but I've got kids and bills too and still see the advantage of a place like GC. Not necessarily trying to convert everybody, so here's a final thought from me-- Sometimes it's just more advantageous having somebody local. It's the same with mixing, mastering, session musicians, art and graphics and printing services... It's a factor that an acquaintance of mine used to call "having someone within strangling distance."

It's nice that Sweetwater, for instance, has a file on the people they work with and can ask me "Hey, how did that Veeblefetzer 6000 work out for you? What you should look into now is the Veeblefetzer 6000 A1 Expansion Pack." That's not the same as having an actual relationship with someone that could include dressing them down in public if things aren't right; there is additional leverage when returning gear or other product when the person is actually "within strangling distance."

And trust me, interview-schminterview, Amazon is into profits. They are just using the "undercut the competition and make it up in bulk volume" model; if all brick and mortar retail ceased tomorrow, do you think prices at Amazon would stay so low? If so, you probably think gas prices will eventually go back to $1 per gallon or less (not-gon-happen).

Just some things to think about...

GJ

I agree with everything you said, GJ. I see the advantages also but if I can save $20-$30 by going with Amazon or another internet seller and then with that money I saved buy my daughter a Yo Gabba Gabba doll and be her hero for the day... It's a no-brainer. I like GC but not enough to throw my hard-earned money away by paying extra. If they can compete price-wise then they will continue to get my business.

And your point about Amazon's prices is well taken but again, I'm not in the financial position to pay extra based on principle. $20 is a half tank of gas (almost). I do use the price matching when possible but GC may not price match depending on who is selling the product i.e. Amazon or a third party selling through Amazon. I hope GC stays open, though.

Dig HH; be the hero, time flies man. My kids are growing like crazy; my oldest is in his second year of college. Dang, that was fast...

GJ

Back