google's new youtube comments blow...

as long as they continue to allow you to opt out it is not a problem; when they force you to change then it becomes an issue of your right to privacy being dictated to you (you have no choice you must use the umbrella to use this service; means that you no longer say how your private data is used)
I believe that is coming. They have already imposed it on content creators. You cannot put your videos on YouTube without a + account

yes but you do not have to log in to view those videos once up.......

what they rely on is our inherent laziness to stay logged in (they get their tracking data not by stealth but by inaction on the part of users)

This guy makes a lot of sense to me. There is far too much hate and nonsense on the comments. People are keyboard cowboys out here.

This is why I hate democracy. The majority gets to decide...and the majority is usually wrong.

Who would support a character limit? They deliberately made it so you have to click expand comment, no one is forcing you to scroll through the star wars script someone has posted.

If the majority always got their way we would still be living in caves because the sensible thing, is to stay here where its safe and oppose all changes.

Are there things wrong with the new system, yes, yes there are. But not everything is wrong.

This guy makes a lot of sense to me. There is far too much hate and nonsense on the comments. People are keyboard cowboys out here.

spot on critique of the entire system of commenting anywhere - this why you need mods at fp and elsewhere to weed out the hate, the piracy, the viral loads/links and so

btw no amount of clever programming is going to fix issues with people posting stuff - I can think of legitimate reasons to talk about the sun cross (reversed or normal)[sup][1] [2] [3] [4][/sup], I can think of legitimate reasons to discuss historical and religious figures.

To limit what can be posted by using dumb programs to weed out unacceptable words and phrases will mean that a blanket form of censorship will descend on forums and social media sites and internet sites in general, stopping genuine historical inquiry, stopping inquiry based on curiosity and replacing it with a sanitised view of the world that is in no away a true reflection of the depth and breadth of human thought and emotion

Last edited:
This is why I hate democracy. The majority gets to decide...and the majority is usually wrong.

the majority is all about democracy - it is about the fair exchange of views and the correction of erroneous views through discussion and education until a majority or consensus (compromise) viewpoint is reached

Who would support a character limit?

you know there is a limit here at fp (albeit a very large limit)?

twitter deliberately limits you

text messages (SMS) deliberately limit you

They deliberately made it so you have to click expand comment, no one is forcing you to scroll through the star wars script someone has posted.

but then you are tacilty saying that you would allow such breaches of copyright?

That is the point of this part of his message, not that it is the script of a particular thing but that it is the breach of copyright in allowing it to stand

If the majority always got their way we would still be living in caves because the sensible thing, is to stay here where its safe and oppose all changes.

you oversimplify

Are there things wrong with the new system, yes, yes there are. But not everything is wrong.

Back