Getting a MIDI Keyboard (Questions)

Vince Era

I have a few questions regarding a MIDI Keyboard.

1. I'm new to the MIDI and was wondering which one would be best for a beginner, as well has the most features. Has a record and play button. My budget is $250.

2. Can I make instrumetals just off the keyboard or will a software from my computer be needed?

3. Can you sample with a MIDI Keyboard? How can I plug in sounds into the keyboard? Drums and various key sounds.

Thanks in advance!?

1. The best one is quite subjective. I use an Oxygen 49 at the moment and it has some really basic features but not really the best keyboard out there. It somewhat does what I need it to but I'm still looking to expand. I would say for 250 you can probably get a pretty nice one with some functions that might come in handy once you delve into the world of midi and it's programming.

2. No, not with just a regular midi keyboard. You will need it to control an instrument in order to get sound from it.

3. I'm not sure. I'd say there are individual samplers for that, leave the keyboard to what it is and get a real sampler if you want that instead. All though you can probably hook it up to control the sampler in your day and get a similar effect.

When you are new to this, maybe you could try buying a use arranger-keyboard.
They are cheap but have great internal soundengine, so it does not effect your cpu usage.
Remember, a lot of the music yo hear and like was produces using top gear from back in the days.
In music old does not mean bad, old means nostalgic.
If you can find one, most hardware freaks never sell their best gear, your are lucky to own a keyboard that is MIDI controlable, has it's own unique sounds (at least 127 + drumsets) and great sequencer options. All of that without comsuming power of your computer. Stay away from the playstore keyboard! They are lousy at MIDI.

this is not strictly true - you can buy workstation keyboards that have MIDI transmission and receive capabilities but they cost significantly more than a standard MIDI keyboard controller

true, but, not if you buy second hand, and they will relieve your CPU a lot!!

VST is great, having a piece of hardware that is made just to make sounds is always way better, IMHO.

And who knows what secrets you might find hidden in that oldskool toy...:cool:

Back