General Acoustics Information and Studio Design

Professor John

Hey everyone,

I was really hoping there was a sticky on acoustics in this forum because I feel I will ask a lot of general questions, but I wasn't able to find the answers I needed through the search.

First off, I have my studio which include 2 KRK RockIts a Presonus VSL 22 Interface, MXL Condensor Mic, Keyrig 49, guitars, basses, and amps. Now that I say this it is a little embarassing, but I have no soundproofing or anything to help with the acoustics for the room. So I just have a few basic questions.

What kind of materials are needed to help with the acoustics? I have seen information on bass traps and foam and ect., but how should these things be set up in position to the monitors (i'm assuming that's really all the matters for positioning)? How much would it cost to have the room treated (i know this depends on the room, but just talking rough figures)?

Also, I plan on buying a house soon, so I would not want to treat the space I am in if it isn't able to be transported, so would these materials be able to be moved to a different room and still be able to effectively treat the new room?

Thanks for any responses, I really am just trying to get a general idea of acoustics and studio design because I do not know that much about. If you want to check out my mixes without the acoustic treatment, my soundcloud is in my signature and I really would appreciate any feedback.

Professor John

treatment is always room dependent, as you are trying to impact on the resonant freqs of a particular room, which is a direct result of room dimensions (there are 7 modes of resonance for any given rectangular room based on height, width and length). Each mode of resonance also has whole number multiples of the individual modes freq present.

bass traps should be designed to impact the first freq of resonance for each mode

other treatment options involve putting diffusers at the first reflection points in the room which are based on where your speakers are. Most designers will tell you to angle your near-field speakers so that you have a 60[sup]o[/sup] angle between your ears and the center of each speaker: your speakers are laid out so that they create an equilateral triangle if you project a ray/line from the speaker to your sitting position when mixing/tracking. Once you have that sorted you can then identify the points in your room where the first reflections (echoes/repeats/etc) will be initiated.

ask questions if you would like to know more

Last edited:
Hi there, I guess it may come handy to you as well, if you have time and money to buy it, the "master of acoustic" handbook By F.A. Everest
It helped me out a lot in the past
Google it.
Cheers
Diego

Back