Freeware for tr-808 sounds

Lighthead

Acid and dnb enthusiast
Does anybody know of a freeware for a virtual tr-808 (analog drum machine) instrument? Does anybody know of a good one? Important: no zip file or .dll file; my computer doesn't like 'em. I prefer .exe files. Thanks.

Thanks. I've actually tried googling it, but maybe I'm not searching for it the right way. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Also if anyone has any personal knowledge of one would be great. In other words either they themselves have used a good one, or they know of someone that has. Like I said before, no .dll or zip files. Only .exe files.

Like I said before, no .dll or zip files. Only .exe files.

There are no plugins that actually run in .exe format, except maybe standalone versions of commercial ones - most of the time the .exe is simply an installer that'll copy the .dll (the actual plugin file, that is) to the correct folder. And ignoring .zips is even sillier as it's simply a compressed archive that'll contain...the installer .exe or the .dll.

There are no plugins that actually run in .exe format, except maybe standalone versions of commercial ones - most of the time the .exe is simply an installer that'll copy the .dll (the actual plugin file, that is) to the correct folder. And ignoring .zips is even sillier as it's simply a compressed archive that'll contain...the installer .exe or the .dll.

The only freewares that I've been able to find are just .dll files w/o any trace of .exe files. Do you know of any zip freewares like the ones that I mentioned that are easy to install? Because the ones that I've come across have been total nightmares.

---------- Post added 08-10-2012 at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-09-2012 at 11:58 PM ----------

If they're all good to you, tell me which one you like the most.

The only freewares that I've been able to find are just .dll files w/o any trace of .exe files. Do you know of any zip freewares like the ones that I mentioned that are easy to install? Because the ones that I've come across have been total nightmares.

Well, yeah, because the .dll is the plugin, be it freeware or commercial. And zipping is just a way of making the files a bit smaller - the actual content is still gonna be a .dll (or an .exe that installs the .dll).

I just use samples & actual drum machines for my stuff, but Audiorealism's ADM and d16's Nepheton are both pretty great. Both commercial, but not terribly expensive. As a free option E-Phonic's Drumatic3 & Drumatic VE I recall being pretty decent.

Thanks. I'll try that. :)

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

That last one was to Krushing.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

i got one recently was called either tromine gt or z
Thanks Zukatoku. I might try that one too. To rayzer, did you have a vst plugin for that tromine? I remember installing that one, but not being able to open it.

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

Drumatic3 & Drumatic VE I recall being pretty decent.
What program do you use to open that? I don't know if you're using the computer that Cheech stole from outer space, but files like that don't open automatically for me.

To rayzer, did you have a vst plugin for that tromine? I remember installing that one, but not being able to open it.

was just a dll file but it worked perfect for me in reaper and FL

was just a dll file but it worked perfect for me in reaper and FL
Do you think that files look yours and all the ones mentioned could be opened in Audacity? That seems to be similar to Reaper.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

I haven't been very fortunate trying any of the instruments suggested. None of them have any .exe files (I've become an expert at looking for .exe files, not to say it's that hard). Call me an old stupido, but all the ones mentioned are just .dll files. I'm still open to suggestions.

Do you think that files look yours and all the ones mentioned could be opened in Audacity? That seems to be similar to Reaper.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

I haven't been very fortunate trying any of the instruments suggested. None of them have any .exe files (I've become an expert at looking for .exe files, not to say it's that hard). Call me an old stupido, but all the ones mentioned are just .dll files. I'm still open to suggestions.

The .dll files are the plug ins though. Even exe files just install the plugin and places the .dll file into a folder. Don't click on the .dll file when you get one. Just place it in the folder with the other .dll files.

Btw what program are you using?

I downloaded all the ones suggested. None of them have any trace of .exe files. (If that's what you're asking.) So, the folder I'm assuming you're talking about is the VSTplugins folder. When you dump it in that folder, how do you access the files? Like, I said, in the various programs suggested, I didn't see any .exe files. Just .dll and text files (instructions obviously).

The best thing to do is learn how to make them imo. Its possible on most synths. Its really a matter of getting the adsr right and choosing the right oscillators.

Here are a couple videos on creating drum patches that may help get you started.

what DAW are you using Lighthead
copy the dll file to the VST folder,way easier than installing from exe.
I think you said Reaper
youtube is a powerful tool FP Fam.
I hope this helps because I never heard of a computer having a hard time with dll files only a user not placing the dll files where should be and not knowing how to direct their DAW to find/scan for them so they show up in their DAW
these videos should have you on your way to a TR-808 wetdream sir

please comment on my soundcloud if you have one I return the favor
thanks in advance

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

If I'm using Rosegarden (I'm trying to use as free stuff as possible), how do I open drumatic ve in Rosegarden? I extracted drumatic to Rosegarden, but I have no idea how to play it there. If you could help me. I don't have Reaper by the way. I'm trying to use all freeware. Not because I'm trying to support free products, but because I'm cheap. Haha.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Actually, let me ask: What's a good freeware DAW to open something like drumatic VE with, and how do I do it? Can you do it with just any DAW? And if you're getting annoyed by my questions, where can I go to get my questions answered. That video was good. But I don't have Reaper. It costs too much. It doesn't seem to be the same with every DAW, because I saw that Rosegarden doesn't seem to have a plugins folder.

Well, pretty much anything other than Rosegarden, which uses a different architecture (DSSI instead of VST) for its plugins than anything else (I think the only other DAW that supports it is Renoise). I think there is a DSSI-to-VST wrapper around that would make it possible to use regular VSTs in it, but frankly, I'd just take one step beyond cheap and cough up the grand sum of $60 for Reaper. Well worth it.

since you say youre using rosegarden im assuming your also running some linux os. try and get windows version of reaper to run through wine in 2003 > xp settings and it should work. youll have to install it to a usb drive from a windows machine first then copy paste it in your os. then just type in reaper.exe and right click, open with wine program loader it to open it.
then just drag in all the plugins you want and they shold work fine

Back