FL Studio or Ableton?

When i started producing, i started with Ableton 9, my biggest problem was it wouldn't read my vsts... That's when i made the switch to FL studio 9, i haven't looked back since, and honestly, once you learn the basics of FL Studio, the possiblities are endless on what you can create, and once you learn how to mix, you can't really tell what DAW was used... The choice is yours and it really depends on your learning curve and preferences...

I have only used FL Studio and have never needed to look for a different program. In my opinion FL Studio is quite simple and easy to use and is very fun to make random and quick beats on.

Ableton allllllllllll the way. I switched from fl studio to ableton a couple of months ago and I'm glad I did. I love both daws but I prefer ableton's user interface. Fl is just to cluttered imo. But its really whichever you prefer.

i started out with fl studio,but did not like the work flow.My Daw of choice is ableton live i find it more organized to my taste but offcource there is minus and plus in every daw, its completly up to taste. would recommend trying both and see what you like.

Well, I have been saying this a couple times lately, but if you buy a new DAW now, especially if it's your first, at least wait a week and then try the Bitwig Studio demo. It's made by several of former Ableton programmers, and it does look like Live in some ways. But it also reminds me of Renoise (minus the tracker) and seems to be quite innovative, especially with some of the features planned for the future. But I haven't used it yet, so it may all be marketing hype. We'll know more in a week. But still, especially for EDM, I'd give it a test run before settling on a DAW that targets roughly the same market as Live and FLS.

Well, I have been saying this a couple times lately, but if you buy a new DAW now, especially if it's your first, at least wait a week and then try the Bitwig Studio demo. It's made by several of former Ableton programmers, and it does look like Live in some ways. But it also reminds me of Renoise (minus the tracker) and seems to be quite innovative, especially with some of the features planned for the future. But I haven't used it yet, so it may all be marketing hype. We'll know more in a week. But still, especially for EDM, I'd give it a test run before settling on a DAW that targets roughly the same market as Live and FLS.

why even create a new DAW at this point? people are only going to be interested in what their fave DJ and/or producers are using. but i suppose the same could be said about making new music. i mean even if we all stopped today you'd still discover something you've never heard before. but that's a topic for another day so back to the DAW wars. its a popularity contest just like anything else. i think its stupid as hell to go against the top leading DAWs though. you left ableton to make something called bitwig? smh good luck lol

Last edited:
i think its stupid as hell to go against the top leading DAWs though. you left ableton to make something called bitwig? smh good luck lol

I don't know why they left Ableton, but I assume they had a reason that they felt strongly enough about. They have never stated the reason, but they did work on Bitwig for half a decade, and hired some interesting people (like Claes Johanson/ShortCircuit), so I have some faith that Bitwig will cause some waves.

It's never a stupid idea to target the "top leading DAWs". Look at all those people who bounce around between different DAWs, liking different aspects of each. I'd be glad for a DAW that meets at least most of my needs, and judging by the feature list and the videos, Bitwig Studio may well manage to achieve this. But I haven't used the software yet, and while I'm likely to buy it, I want to see a demo first.

Innovation is a good thing. DAW innovation has been pretty stagnant for years, so something fresh may actually be good for the market. Competition benefits the customer. I can see why you'd have an issue if you're very invested in especially Live, but if you're happy with the software, why does it matter that something else comes out?

I agree that the name is silly. Then again, that's not uncommon with DAWs. :)

I don't know why they left Ableton, but I assume they had a reason that they felt strongly enough about. They have never stated the reason, but they did work on Bitwig for half a decade, and hired some interesting people (like Claes Johanson/ShortCircuit), so I have some faith that Bitwig will cause some waves.

It's never a stupid idea to target the "top leading DAWs". Look at all those people who bounce around between different DAWs, liking different aspects of each. I'd be glad for a DAW that meets at least most of my needs, and judging by the feature list and the videos, Bitwig Studio may well manage to achieve this. But I haven't used the software yet, and while I'm likely to buy it, I want to see a demo first.

Innovation is a good thing. DAW innovation has been pretty stagnant for years, so something fresh may actually be good for the market. Competition benefits the customer. I can see why you'd have an issue if you're very invested in especially Live, but if you're happy with the software, why does it matter that something else comes out?

I agree that the name is silly. Then again, that's not uncommon with DAWs. :)

Dude you make an incredibly valid point. I can't argue with you on any of that at all. I have benefited a lot from staying with my DAW of choice. And its paid off because they listen to our needs as well as help us get by our issues. So for me its not just the DAW but the community itself. We trade secrets, bond, and give insight.

Last edited:
I totally agree that community is important, and if you have a DAW that you know inside out and that works for you, there really is no reason to switch to anything else. Time spent on learning a DAW is time that isn't spent on making music. For me, I'd really like something that combines Renoise's DSP chains and "one window approach", but with a clip view, good midi support and also scripting support. Bitwig seems to get that right, but like I said, I didn't get in the beta test and I will wait for a demo before dropping cash. I really love Shortcircuit, so my interest spiked when Claes joined Bitwig -- before that, I was all "yeah, marketing hype, probably vapor ware". :)

Time spent on learning a DAW is time that isn't spent on making music.
duly noted.

one can never have enough man. if you want more you'll probably have to voice it back to your developers, which is what i do if it makes sense to them to for everyone as a whole, OR become a developer yourself. easier said than done of course. but at this point in time i'm more than happy with what i have. i can very well do anything that comes to mind. i always lacked control when i 1st started out. hell i didn't even know that me not having it is what caused so much problems for me in the beginning lol. so if your DAW whatever it is gives you that then stick with it.

Last edited:
i find FL great for learning and create stuff. espescially if your starting.. it is intuitive and fun to play with..

in an other hand, Live is more dynamic and more flexible to be creative.. if you have the discipline and the patience to learn how to use ableton it gonna be a more powerfull tool..

for myself, i use Ableton live but have learn the basic with FL

im not sure if i already saw this thread or if it's a new dude asking this but it seriously depends on what you like.

It basically comes down to a design thing man, which one are you faster with?one thing to know is that some daws have their playlist fused with the piano roll while other daws have the pianoroll in a seperate thing from the playlist editor, and this is where the drawing board comes.what im talking about is that can be a deciding factor right there, do you prefer stepsequencing your drums in the playlist or away from the playlist?

the effects for pretty much all the daws are the same with different design choices, which in turn means many people will prefer different workflow methods brah :/

Back