FL Studio or Ableton?

Beatdoc5

Since FL Studio is available for mac now, which would you guys prefer? I have them both but Im finding difficulty leaning towards one for beat production. I only have ableton light so maybe thats whats keeping me in the middle? Also use Logic pro 9 and Logic Pro x but they aren't quite what I would use in beat production. I prefer them for live instrumentation.
Thanks for the feedback!

ABLETON RULE! No but seriously.. I'm a little tired of this same old conversation.

I use Ableton, that's all I have to say.

You can make music with both, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'd say, try both and see what suits you the best. At the end of the day you're the one that's going to decide which DAW you'll be using.

How is this relevant?
For me? In many ways. I can mention one - the one that made Dada Life (EDM) change DAW to Abelton Live:
The ability to program macros much easier. Macros that can be used to control a full build-up through all your tracks towards a drop with just a couple of X/Y pads or other controllers.

That is one. There are many more.

The point; every DAW has it´s strength and some really shine in special genres or parts of genres. Or for special tasks across genres.

Last edited:
Let's keep it real and say that 90% of the people that ask this DUMB question, yes there are dumb questions, are FL Studio users. It's like people have this odd idea that FL is not a serious DAW. I thought the same back when I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. A nice chunk of the Hip Hop , EDM, Pop songs you hear on the radio nowadays were produced right in FL. If you use FL and have actually learned the DAW, stick with it.

If you're on death row and have one final meal are you going to ask the guard what foods he likes, or are you going to go with what you're familiar with?

Time is precious, everyday there's new competition, if you want success in the music industry stick with what you know and don't complicate stuff. It takes years to master a DAW in and out, why start over?

For me? In many ways. I can mention one - the one that made Dada Life (EDM) change DAW to Abelton Live:
The ability to program macros much easier. Macros that can be used to control a full build-up through all your tracks towards a drop with just a couple of X/Y pads or other controllers.

Dada Life fan myself man, But i dont understand your response, Are you saying they Changed from Fl studio to Ableton Live for the Macros ?,,Now to answer the question. I use fl studio and Own Ableton Live 8. Alot of people are right, when you learn to Use FL properly it is Just as good as any other DAW, you will need vst's and samples(As do most Daws ). When you have your Neat collection and know how to use them you'll Produce the sound you want. Look at Avicii, Afrojack these guys use Fl like crazy.
Ableton is Awesome and the initial quality you get from a dry instrument (without Mixing and mastering) is better than Fl ! Which is why people think its better but truth be told you can get the same quality in fl with tweaking which is great cause you don't become lazy and actually learn how too make it sound right. I also hate the Piano Roll in ableton it's like Working on a piece of paper.
With enough time you can make any DAW sound awesome, I mean Calvin Harris Uses Logic !?,,Again Logic!?

P.s Skrillex uses Ableton as he uses alot of samples in his work, makes sense

They claimed they changed to Abelton for the macros. From what I don't know.
I was curious what genre the OP was into.
Sure, you can make great music in any DAW. :cool:

In my opinion Ableton is better to playing with loops and samples.
Fl Studio is better for drum proggraming.

For now I preffer Ableton :)

Dada Life fan myself man, But i dont understand your response, Are you saying they Changed from Fl studio to Ableton Live for the Macros ?,,Now to answer the question. I use fl studio and Own Ableton Live 8. Alot of people are right, when you learn to Use FL properly it is Just as good as any other DAW, you will need vst's and samples(As do most Daws ). When you have your Neat collection and know how to use them you'll Produce the sound you want. Look at Avicii, Afrojack these guys use Fl like crazy.
Ableton is Awesome and the initial quality you get from a dry instrument (without Mixing and mastering) is better than Fl ! Which is why people think its better but truth be told you can get the same quality in fl with tweaking which is great cause you don't become lazy and actually learn how too make it sound right. I also hate the Piano Roll in ableton it's like Working on a piece of paper.
With enough time you can make any DAW sound awesome, I mean Calvin Harris Uses Logic !?,,Again Logic!?

P.s Skrillex uses Ableton as he uses alot of samples in his work, makes sense

Some of this makes sense, some of it is utter nonsense. FL is probably just as good as any other, and yes you might want to have vst's and more samples than what comes in stock. Referencing some kids making mainstream (crap in my opinion) music is maybe not something you really want or need to know when you are trying to decide which DAW you are going to create your music in. There is no difference between the "initial quality" of Ableton and FL studio, if you'd import a .wav file in either, you'd get the very same sound, no difference there. So I highly doubt that anyone would think that Ableton is a better DAW because of this phenomenon that doesn't even exist. So, somewhere in your mind you think that people who use FL are actually in some kind of better disposition towards learning how to create music, because you need to make a greater effort to achieve what you want, using FL? Unless you are a serious fanatic using your mouse to create your music I don't see how the Piano roll in Ableton is any worse than any other. What exactly is it about it that makes you hate it? You can draw and erase notes in it, and edit pretty much any parameter using envelopes, what more could you possibly need?

That last comment is.. just ignorant. I'm not defending Skrillex in any way, but I hardly think he uses Ableton over any other DAW because it's more suitable for samples.

Last edited:
ABLETON RULE! No but seriously.. I'm a little tired of this same old conversation.

I use Ableton, that's all I have to say.

god. another "which DAW is better" question lol. can't blame the new guys since i was like that to. dude it doesn't matter what you use. its all about who's in the driver's seat. you can have the best tools in the world but it won't mean a thing if you can't use them right. they are both great DAWs. best on the market! so choose whichever one you feel is more your taste.

Fl studio, is simple to use.

Like hell it is lol. Maybe for you but if you have absolutely no skill whatsoever then you are going to be stressed the hell out asking us and yourself questions like why can't I hear my sub? How come my kick doesn't punch? How much EQ do I have to use? And one of my faves...wait all those are my faves Lol

Ableton Live is the new FL Studio
everybody was jumping on the FL Studio bandwagon
now they jumping on the Ableton Live bandwagon

Ableton Live has some amazing features that I wished were adapted into FL Studio by Imagine

maybe in FL Studio 13 lol

I love FL Studio period
I use to use Acid Pro 6 and FL Studio
but now FL Studio to me handles audio loops just as well as Acid Pro
use Edison to chop stuff up

-Coach Antonio/Saint Antonio
Following Christ not Social Norms

Last edited:
Ableton Live is the new FL Studio
everybody was jumping on the FL Studio bandwagon
now they jumping on the Ableton Live bandwagon

Ableton Live has some amazing features that I wished were adapted into FL Studio by Imagine

maybe in FL Studio 13 lol

I love FL Studio period
I use to use Acid Pro 6 and FL Studio
but now FL Studio to me handle audio loops just as well as Acid Pro
use Edison to chop stuff up

-Coach Antonio/Saint Antonio
Following Christ not Social Norms

Its become a popularity contest. These newcomers find out an artist they love to death uses this or that and now they have to get it. Impulse buyers lol

Back