First Timer Advice

KevinG24

KevinG
Hey guys I don't really know how to work this forum thing because this is the first forum website I've ever created an account for. My name is Kevin and I'm turning 19 years old this November. I'm new to this and I feel like I'll be using these forums for a very long time since music is my passion and it's all I ever think about throughout the day. I've also read a lot of the beginner forums here and I've picked up A LOT of helpful tips from them, and some of the information I kinda already new too. I've looked at hundreds, literally, HUNDREDS of interviews of my favorite producers and rappers and I'm pretty good at flowing on beats, and my lyrics aren't terrible. I started rapping about 3 years ago for fun just making funny rhymes during rap battles at school with my friends and stuff. But people have told me that I should really consider doing it seriously. So just this year I started putting out music to the public, but I was basically just rapping over popular hip hop instrumentals. First of all, the production for the music is definitely not the best. I could've edited my vocals way better but I wanted to put my music out so fast, so I rushed it and it kinda sounds mediocre to be honest. So once I realized that rapping over beats won't cut it for too long, I decided to grab all of my brother's production gear (monitors, MIDI's, Beat Pad, microphone) and I started trying to produce my own sound. This was in early September, so for the first month, I was watching a ton of tutorials, and I played with the sounds on Logic Pro X and made basic beats. But over the past 2 months, I feel like my beats aren't that bad! I've been making some beats from scratch and others by sampling. My friends think the beats are pretty good for a beginner as well! However, their opinions could be somewhat biased because they are my friends and they support me in whatever I do. But even my brother, who has over a year of experience in making beats, says I'm picking up fairly quickly and he tells his friends he sees a lot of potential in me. I really love making music, and I really look up to Chief Keef and Bobby Shmurda... (I'm totally kidding!! My major influences are J. Cole, Kanye West, Kendrick, and Logic, in case you're wondering!)

Anyways, the point I'm trying to get to here is that I LOVE music, with a passion. If it wasn't for my dad practically forcing me to go to college, I would spend all day/night making beats and trying to progress in music. I know school is important, but I take 12-15 units every semester and the work is very time consuming. I just feel like I could be putting all that time into chasing my dream, something that really makes me happy rather than aiming for degree in a career I would live miserably for the rest of my life with. But I'm also starting to realize how much sacrifice I have to make if I really want to dedicate myself, and I'm 100% ready for it. I already quit going out and partying a month ago, I cut all social medias, and I'm slowly fading away from my friends... :/ However, I'm more concerned about my future and what I really want to do with my life. I'm just asking for advice or opinions about what you think of the situation I'm in. Should I try and fully dedicate myself to my dream? Or is 19 too old to be considering anything with music? I'm progressing fast, which is the biggest thing pushing me right now. I've also been doing everything on my own, in my room, without a team... So can someone give me some feedback? Ideas? Comments? Thanks, and sorry for writing a whole story here I'm just really concerned. If you want to hear some of my raps, I can link the YouTube channel. The editing isn't the best... so I'm kind of embarrassed to show you guys lol. Plus, I'm more focused on my beats since that's the foundation for my raps.

And I apologize if I'm using this whole forum thing wrong, it said post forum so I clicked it lol.

welcome and know that you are in good company

ask questions that are bothering you but expect that some folks will not play nice (it is their nature to be tricksters)

There is nothing wrong with staying in school and working on your productions during your free time. Just follow your heart.

Stay in education, it's always good to have a way of bringing home money, as music isn't reliable. If you put your heart into it, and you believe in yourself there's no reason you can't make money

Think of it as your learning process

Study, eat, work on writing and getting to grips with everything, sleep

repeat

When you have finished your studies you may have more time to work on it, there will come a point where you really think your life should be focused on it.

Don't rush, take your time, learn everything! listen to everything! there is always something new to learn when it comes to writing music and producing.

I've been playing and writing for 15 years, yet only recently I actually believe in myself enough to consider pursuing it full time, BUT I know I need some money behind me, so I'm gonna plod on, work, save up, then when the time comes I'm going to go for it. And hell if it fails, at least I can say to myself that I tried, and I learnt a lot in the process. And the worst that can happen is I have to cut making music down to when I'm not in work ;) not such a bad thing

Also learn to be your biggest critic, if you can sit back and listen to something you created, and point out why it's weak, you can progress and make it better. Be a perfectionist.

good luck to you

Also if you think 19 years old is too old to be making music you need to rethink that.

Best gig I ever saw was Swans live this year. Their frontman / leader / main songwriter is Michael Gira. Dude is 60 years old and the last 2 albums of theirs have been double albums, rammed full of intense, walls of sound and low grooves. If he can do it, you can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm gonna slightly disagree and say if you're really serious about it then go for it now. once you do college, get a job, get a family, get old etc etc then the chance to pursue it full on then will have almost gone. the ideal time to try to break in is when you have the energy & hubris of youth together with the time to dedicate to it with no ties pulling you back. although, i can't disagree with the advice re education as it is never a bad thing - its just i would focus on the music more for now if you're serious but not stop studying altogther

Back