FIFA World Cup 2014 Brazil

As I've said from the start it is almost as if there has a been a conscious decision to avoid injuries by penalising hard to begin with: good for the players and ultimately the game

Liked the Germany game a lot and glad to note that my estimation of Portugal was not wrong, unlike Spain's performance which was totally out of character

about to watch Russia/Korea in an hours time

in addition the penalties for shirt pulling have been consistent in spite of what Tim Cahill might say - if you impede a player by pulling his shirt so that he cannot reach the ball you are guilty of a penalisable offense. In Cahill's case in the AusvChile match, he was holding teh Chileans shirt first and so was deemed to have committed the offense before he was subsequently impeded - i.e. you can't claim attackers advantage if you are deliberately impeding the defense simultaneously to or prior to being impeded yourself

Last edited:
Well, Brazil didn't play well today. But this is something that we, brazilians, got accostumed to watch. I just think that if the team keeps playing like this, they'll fall pretty soon.

On a side note, tomorrow we have Holland vs Australia. I'm sorry, but Australia will lose. 5x0.

What did I tell y'all about Chile?

Spain is helpless.

Goodbye Spain and congrats to Chile!

Last edited by a moderator:
watched the Aus-Ned match on delay - much better performance by the Australians and a more subdued performance from the Dutch. But Australia is still fragile in defense and the first goal was almost a carbon copy of the first goal Chile scored against them. Penalty whilst soft looking was legit as the arm was moving toward the ball as it hit it and then rebounded as they do

A shame they crumbled in defense at the end yet again

2018 in Russia will be far more interesting though given what has happened in Group B so far

I am now confidently backing Netherlands to win next match and all remaining matches

have not yet seen the Spain-Chile match but sounds like Spain have combusted internally

Currently observing the Cameroon-Croatia match which makes group A look very interesting if either wins - Brazil will probably win through but Mexico is gone unless they can find a win against a rampant Croatia (who I tipped to move through the group stage begin with)

I am now confidently backing Netherlands to win next match and all remaining matches

I'm mostly with you here, but I want to see Germany play again before picking Holland with complete confidence. And despite the 0-0 to Mexico, I'm still expecting Brazil to march through to the later, much later rounds.

so Costa Rica v Italy

denied penalty just before the goal - should have been as he was pushed from behind while in control of the ball inside the box (ref waved it as a side by side shoulder challenge

Goodbye to England and interesting final game for Italy and Uruguay

Spain and England being gone this early is unreal.

And man, we just got destroyed by France.

And I don't see Brazil nor Argentina making it very far this year. Both got some great players but their teams aren't what they used to be.

And I don't see Brazil nor Argentina making it very far this year. Both got some great players but their teams aren't what they used to be.

Both teams are heavily dependant on their players Neymar and Messi.

I think Brazil will get to the semi-finals, and Argentina to the quarter-finals.

I also would like to point out that Brazil never played an "awesome" football, but they always grow up as a team when facing a more challenging team like Holland, or Italy, or Argentina.

If you're in US, hand this over to your boss :cheers:

BrAmejCCcAAXf4q.png

becoming more disillusioned as the tournament progresses - some big teams failing to live up to expectations and some minnows punching above their weight totally (yeah i know mixed metaphors but there is little that can be done about that)

becoming more disillusioned as the tournament progresses - some big teams failing to live up to expectations and some minnows punching above their weight totally (yeah i know mixed metaphors but there is little that can be done about that)

I disagree: this cup is more exciting than the previous one, IMO. Also, I think some of the bigger teams kind of thought they're be succesful by just their names. This goes to Spain, Italy, Portugal, Brazil (they will fail to classify to the semi, IMO) and Argentina.

Today I'm wearing my Germany shirt, and on the way to work, people was looking at me as I'm some kind of alien beign. Pretty funny, since I have some european traits (descendant of ukrainians, italians and polish people).

I will be blunt I think that some of the coaches have gone into their second games with strategic decisions to draw or lose so as to knock other teams out in the process, and this has backfired on Italy and may still backfire on USA and Germany

Russia and Algeria have to play for the win today

I will be blunt I think that some of the coaches have gone into their second games with strategic decisions to draw or lose so as to knock other teams out in the process, and this has backfired on Italy and may still backfire on USA and Germany

To be honest, yes, this may happened. I'm guessing there will be a draw between US and Germany today.

The rules are tht you need to get through - not necessarily with winning every match. There might be some scheming going on with other teams, but I don't think the USA coached or planned their way into this position on purpose. They just let up an awful goal vs Portugal. That, if anything, will be what backfires for USA.

The rules are tht you need to get through - not necessarily with winning every match. There might be some scheming going on with other teams, but I don't think the USA coached or planned their way into this position on purpose. They just let up an awful goal vs Portugal. That, if anything, will be what backfires for USA.

Since Klinsmann is the head coach of the US team, and is somewhat a superstar in Germany... Well, there will be a draw.

I'm not suggesting collusion with other teams but conscious decisions to play a certain way to ensure other teams do not get through (or have a tougher time doing so)

I'm not suggesting collusion with other teams but conscious decisions to play a certain way to ensure other teams do not get through (or have a tougher time doing so)

I don't thinks that Costa Rica, for example, played to give other teams a hard time. And now they have to face Greece in this next round, which I think it's a pretty easy game for them. If so, then they may face Holland in the quarter finals, and probably will lose the game. Unless, of course, Holland share the same curse as Spain and Italy (and probably Portugal as well).

Back