Few questions from a newbie

daniob

Since it's my first post here, first of all I wanted to say Hi to all you guys! :D
I got into EDM like two years ago, before that I was listening mainly to rock & metal... And well, I can easily tell that Im pretty much obsessed now :D I want to start producing, I finished FL Studio online course (pretty basic information tho), bought myself a MIDI piano, at the moment Im finishing Music Theory course (I've been searching for information a LOT on the webz and a lot people are saying that Music Theory knowledge helps a ****in lot with EDM Production), but I don't know, I still 'don't feel it'... Like everytime Im opening my DAW Im just ****in around for few minutes and Im back to reading manuals...
Any tips how to 'get into it for real'? Anyone had the same 'feelings'?
Another thing, I always wonder how 'the big guys' learned their DAW, did they used any books/tutorials/went to production school...? I can't find any information about this on the internet, is it some kind of super secret thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to learn and understand how to apply theory is by learning an instrument, practicing songs, and ear training, otherwise, you will NEVER feel it.

the secret to learning your daw is practice, practice, practice

the secret to learning anything is the same

Since it's my first post here, first of all I wanted to say Hi to all you guys! :D
I got into EDM like two years ago, before that I was listening mainly to rock & metal... And well, I can easily tell that Im pretty much obsessed now :D I want to start producing, I finished FL Studio online course (pretty basic information tho), bought myself a MIDI piano, at the moment Im finishing Music Theory course (I've been searching for information a LOT on the webz and a lot people are saying that Music Theory knowledge helps a ****in lot with EDM Production), but I don't know, I still 'don't feel it'... Like everytime Im opening my DAW Im just ****in around for few minutes and Im back to reading manuals...
Any tips how to 'get into it for real'? Anyone had the same 'feelings'?
Another thing, I always wonder how 'the big guys' learned their DAW, did they used any books/tutorials/went to production school...? I can't find any information about this on the internet, is it some kind of super secret thing?

We all go through the phase of wanting to learn. There are many steps in Audio Production, too many steps to be honest. From learning your DAW, to learning theory, to learning how to create sounds, to learning how to use a certain plugin, to learning how to mix, to learning techniques, to learning your own cool tricks through trial and error creating music. It's never going to stop, you're always going to be curious, you're always going to feel like you can learn one more thing to make your songs complete. Keep learning, but try to apply what you learn so it doesn't go from one ear out of the other. Everything you learn should be something you apply to your music, that's how your songs get better and more diverse over time.

You'll get into the mood of actually creating as much as you've been in the mood to read once you're comfortable. Keep reading, keep learning, keep applying, and you'll eventually be confident enough to spend days worth of time on creating a track. You need knowledge to properly develop a skill. Don't worry how the big guys did this or that, you're not them and your brain doesn't function like theirs. The best tip I can give is read the manual from front to back, or save time and read only what you're going to put to use, along with watching videos from various FL users.

I agree with all these guys.

But what I have to say is this. Get peaceful. Get elaxed on some energy pills maybe and take some gaba for smartness. WEll take one energy pill if necasary and safe. I learned Ableton Live mostly by the TIPS column.

Music theory is any way it basically sounds is how it is. If it sounds good, do it. If it isn't your style, work on it till it is.

Like they said, PRACTICE, LEARN the KNOWLEDGE, and get involved in instruments you like!

Good luck, take breaks too, its ok if you have DETERMINATION.

edm is like the hardest music to make... it's so much that goes into it... i wouldn't just make edm beats i'd do a lil of everthing cause learning your daw is going to be a big part of producing in general

edm is like the hardest music to make...
To be honest, it really depends on what sub-genre you are doing. When I started, I could finish a dark psytrance tune in about a week. But it was never my aim, I was doing it to learn more about production itself.

Now I'm more focused on producing drum and bass, and it's a pretty hard style to make, but not impossible. As bandcoach said, you need to practice, practice, and practice a little more. And when you feel you're ok, you'll practice.

To be honest, it really depends on what sub-genre you are doing. When I started, I could finish a dark psytrance tune in about a week. But it was never my aim, I was doing it to learn more about production itself.

Now I'm more focused on producing drum and bass, and it's a pretty hard style to make, but not impossible. As bandcoach said, you need to practice, practice, and practice a little more. And when you feel you're ok, you'll practice.

yea your right.. it depends how many elements you have to your music.. some producers just repeat a main sound throughout a song.. i don't so it takes awhile longer

Great post man!@Fidelity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any moron with a working set of ears can play the blues. Its just the minor pentatonic with a flat 5th over a twelve bar chorus.

This. I've played the piano for many years. Often blues,jazz etc. Even the hardest pieces aren't that hard..

I can easily jam for an hour, always sounds good. Try doing the same with DnB lol.. have fun :3

Back