"Fake-Smart" Rappers

It's so subjective. Some people even consider Malcom X a fake smart dude. I applaud anyone who thinks for themselves even if I disagree with them. Some of the smartest people to me are those who may not even act smart. Jay Z P-Diddy Fifty cent & TI are a few who come to mind. They may not have extensive book knowledge but they are brilliant businessmen. I have an OG neighbor who laces me with unorthodox insight. He's very intelligent but he's also kinda wacky. He's a visionary who reminds me alot of Serena and Venus Williams dad. He has trained many successful athletes in track and boxing with revolutionary techniques. He taught me about "The Spook who sat by the door" It's actually a 70's blaxploitation movie about a Black revolutionary who works in Corporate America by day and trains revolutionaries at night. He appears to be this non threatening man when in reality he is something entirely different. That's how I feel about some of these rappers. In their videos, they may appear to be ignorant but in reality they're responsible intelligent young men. Many people who label someone a pseudo intellect are usually the ones who want to be viewed as intelligent themselves. Just because you disagree with someone doesnt make them fake smart. That's just their personality. Even with that said, Nas comes close to being fake smart because he can sometimes rub me the wrong way with his opinionated arrogance.

Last edited:
the term fake-smart doesnt mean the people are stupid. Its people who go out of their way to believe they are more intelligent than others and try to push their intelligence on to people

you can tell who is authentic in the knowledge that they have and the need to speak it

i wouldnt say Jay Electronica is fake smart, but he has a lot of tendencies of someone who is. Just Blaze however is very knowledgable within his realm

Kendrick is my nigga, but i would throw him in that category too, Ab-Soul however i would not and thats from having convos with these people

Nas.. fake smart.. Jay-Z suprisingly very intelligent.

Fake Smart people tend to be extremely over opinionated about politics, religion, and a lot of hot buzz topics without any real research beyond what they see on the internet, or seen in a documentary. They tend to go out and say things like "voting doesnt mattter" or "the government did 9/11" but dont really have much real research to go behind their theories.

like i said, doesnt mean somebody is stupid. But people dont really do a lot of their research before they go spewing off the mouth. I look at Lupe vs Bill O Reily and the first thing i thought was this guy sounds stupider than when Cam & Dame was on here. You cant run around calling Obama a terrorist

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

and for the record all my opinions are formed from people that ive actually met and had conversations with in person. So im not just judging off things im seeing on the net

^^^pretty much hit it on the nail. fake smart guys usually say stuff that sounds good on the surface, but when faced with scrutiny of the facts they claim it shows that they may really not know what they're talking about too well. It pretty much comes down to pride.

Last edited:
the term fake-smart doesnt mean the people are stupid. Its people who go out of their way to believe they are more intelligent than others and try to push their intelligence on to people

you can tell who is authentic in the knowledge that they have and the need to speak it

i wouldnt say Jay Electronica is fake smart, but he has a lot of tendencies of someone who is. Just Blaze however is very knowledgable within his realm

Kendrick is my nigga, but i would throw him in that category too, Ab-Soul however i would not and thats from having convos with these people

Nas.. fake smart.. Jay-Z suprisingly very intelligent.

Fake Smart people tend to be extremely over opinionated about politics, religion, and a lot of hot buzz topics without any real research beyond what they see on the internet, or seen in a documentary. They tend to go out and say things like "voting doesnt mattter" or "the government did 9/11" but dont really have much real research to go behind their theories.

like i said, doesnt mean somebody is stupid. But people dont really do a lot of their research before they go spewing off the mouth. I look at Lupe vs Bill O Reily and the first thing i thought was this guy sounds stupider than when Cam & Dame was on here. You cant run around calling Obama a terrorist

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

and for the record all my opinions are formed from people that ive actually met and had conversations with in person. So im not just judging off things im seeing on the net

Now this is the type of response I was looking for.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

would you add Public Enemy to the list Lilro???

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

The people I named are not on my list of fake-smart people. As far as PE, I dunno. Griff seems a little out there, and he says so much stuff that's hard to believe, it's difficult to filter what could be true and what's just him talking shit. Flav is an idiot though, from what I know. Keep in mind I'm only 22 so PE was a little earlier than I can remember.

Now this is the type of response I was looking for.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

The people I named are not on my list of fake-smart people. As far as PE, I dunno. Griff seems a little out there, and he says so much stuff that's hard to believe, it's difficult to filter what could be true and what's just him talking shit. Flav is an idiot though, from what I know. Keep in mind I'm only 22 so PE was a little earlier than I can remember.

yeah we are ten years apart in age...in the early 90's everyone was on the Black Power/restore our Black Community(from Drugs=mostly crack and violence=mostly crack related)
I would also add Common(when he was Common Sense mostly)
and Rass Kass
Rza/Gza also should be added on the list
whole wu-tang community in way
check out these videos
these songs are from memory I was a huge, I mean HUGE Wu-fan(from the first time hearing them on the bus way to a track meet in High School)

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Since you all are starting to go a little old school, what do you all think about KRS One?

now this guy is a big one he's always on some stuff with knowledge

yeah we are ten years apart in age...in the early 90's everyone was on the Black Power/restore our Black Community(from Drugs=mostly crack and violence=mostly crack related)
I would also add Common(when he was Common Sense mostly)
and Rass Kass
Rza/Gza also should be added on the list
whole wu-tang community in way
check out these videos
these songs are from memory I was a huge, I mean HUGE Wu-fan(from the first time hearing them on the bus way to a track meet in High School)

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

now this guy is a big one he's always on some stuff with knowledge

So you're saying all those people are "fake-smart"?

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Since you all are starting to go a little old school, what do you all think about KRS One?

From what I've seen, I think he's legit. He doesn't go too deep on stuff he doesn't know about.

Last edited:
So you're saying all those people are "fake-smart"?

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

From what I've seen, he's legit. He doesn't go too deep on stuff he doesn't know about.

I'm saying some consider them smart
and
some consider them just thinking their are smart saying big words.

Rass Kass to Wu-Tang to Yuckmouth molded my flow back when I use to do secular music
tons of metaphors are my friend when it comes to rapping
I'm the second guy on the song freestyle

tumblr_lzs9uvkbJx1rpmgfpo1_400.gif

its called life. i don't believe in anything being "fake smart". I think people go overboard and think way too much on situations but being fake smart isn't it.

I used to think Mos Def knew his stuff, but after seeing him get embarrassed like no other on Politically Incorrect. I lost hella respect for him.

This conversation has insecurity written all over it, the term Fake/Smart is stupid there's different perceptions on life you can learn from anyone "hood dudes" have just as much smarts as the pseudo-intellectual it's all based on your environment and the perception that you carry no one man can know everything that can get the intellectual in trouble because they have the perception that they do.

But it does becomes fake when you don't live the change that you speak of Afrika Bambaataa is a shining example you have to understand at all levels if you really want and change to come in the environment you live in.

The comment on Mos Def the guy is very smart he's just not very articulate so that limits him see beyond the words.

I used to think Mos Def knew his stuff, but after seeing him get embarrassed like no other on Politically Incorrect. I lost hella respect for him.
He is smart, but that doesn't mean he is versed in all aspects of life.

This conversation has insecurity written all over it, the term Fake/Smart is stupid there's different perceptions on life you can learn from anyone "hood dudes" have just as much smarts as the pseudo-intellectual it's all based on your environment and the perception that you carry no one man can know everything that can get the intellectual in trouble because they have the perception that they do.

But it does becomes fake when you don't live the change that you speak of Afrika Bambaataa is a shining example you have to understand at all levels if you really want and change to come in the environment you live in.

The comment on Mos Def the guy is very smart he's just not very articulate so that limits him see beyond the words.
I know this is not a diss, but he is very articulate lyrically. I just think he's laid back cat, like Nas, and most of the public convo is cloaked in this deep bk accent. The guy went to an arts high school and actually started acting before he rapped. Has several respectable films under his belt as a co-star or lead, so I think he can be very articulate when he wants to. He just chooses to play the low.

That mite be so but when he went on the show with Hitchens and Corrnell West those dudes looked like giants compared to him and West had to Re explain a lot of what Mos Def was saying I'm not saying the guy is stupid he's very smart but sometimes with other types of people you have to break it down in a different manner so they can't deny the point the your making but I do feel what your saying though.

but a lot of people look stupid on politically incorrect. it's hard to be the other guy on the panel hanging with bill maher along with the politicians, analysts, and historians. smart dumb rapper though i gotta say rick ross. yea he was smart enough to get rich, but cats act like this guy is the next kool g rap on the mafioso rap tip. fµckin' guy has a long way to go.

Nas and Lupe are both fake smart but in Nas case he is a weed head with an 8th grade education so I don't blame him because like Nas I only completed the 9th grade. When Lupe called Obama a terrorist I knew what his intentions were and what he meant. I believe he was referring to how Obama is the head of the country and our military is out here in these foreign countries killing people cause they felt like it. Like the wikileaks video of the soldiers pretending a guy holding a camera..... was really holding a gun..... just for the thrill of watching him and the people around him die. Instead of putting it in those words Lupe blurts out the president is a terrorist.

If anything, Pac was fake-dumb at times(pretended to be dumber than he was), but in the right situation would turn his IQ right back up and get into some interesting discussions.

I don't see what would make T.I. "fake-smart". I've never known him to try to push any in depth intellectual agenda, he can just be a lil' articulate at times and has his family on a TV show where he may be giving them advice a kid at home could take to heart.

Dead Prez is just real dudes with a stance(right or wrong). I don't think they set out to be called "smart". If anything they're products of society turned revolutionary. Their music has a message, just can come off as extreme.

Immortal Tech from what I've seen of him personally(very little, white folk coulda just pissed him off the day I spoke with him) has a flat out hatred of gov't, white people, conformity, and anything else the masses of society embraces. Another guy with harsh views, but he controls them well in his music(which I don't like, but giving him credit because trust me, if you white, you are the devil to him and his music may not put that off since you show up to his shows, lol). I don't listen enough to know immortal hasn't confirmed his hatred of everything in his music, but I get the idea he doesn't. Too many white fans. Don't get it twisted, Immortal is the tip of the Ice Berg. I'd be here all day naming every rapper who thinks whites are the devil, most of them are rich because of suburban consumers though.

I think this stemmed from the Lupe thread. Someone refered to him as fake-smart(pseudo intelligent), and I as well as others agreed. The difference is, Lupe has agendas he pushes when the record stops. Alot of his statements are smother in fallacies. Nas is known to do the same. Say what you want while the music is going, but when it stops...Never say nothing to the masses unless you know what you're speaking has legitamacy. Why? Because whether you like it or not, you're on a platform where people will take what you say as gospel. Some people mistakenly misuse this platform, others use it to push their "cause" that they didn't get all the facts on before speaking.

I apologize for offending people by telling them their favorite rappers(most of which don't have as much as a high school diploma)who stand on their soap boxes with some profound message 9/10 are just blowing hot air.

When the music stops, you should stop listening, while the music's playing you should take it all in as passtime entertainment. Same way Ross lies on records about selling dope is the same way some lie on records about reading books. What makes any of them "fake-whatevers" is when they try to hold up the persona outside of a studio setting.

Back