"Fake-Smart" Rappers

lilro

In your opinion, who are they? Many people add Lupe Fiasco to the list. Some say T.I. is a fake-smart rapper. But as far as political-centric rappers/emcees, who else is "fake-smart"? Is Dead Prez fake-smart? Is Immortal Technique fake-smart? Is Mos Def fake-smart? Is Jay Electronica fake-smart? 2pac? Who are the fakes? And why do you believe that they are fake?

Last edited:
Wow. So everybody who can think a little and is not caught in the mainstream is "fake-smart?"
In some people's opinion. Not mine. Which is why I made this thread. I wanna see where people's heads are at.

even asking if immortal or pac are fake smart tells me that your fake smart

I don't think they're fake smart, you dumbass. I'm just providing examples of political rappers. I don't think any of the people I named are fake smart. Including Lupe. And it's 'you're', not 'your', smart guy.

Last edited:
I don't think they're fake smart, you dumbass. I'm just providing examples of political rappers. I don't think any of the people I named are fake smart. Including Lupe.

then what's the point of this thread ? do you have nothing better to do than arguing over the internet about which rappers are smart and which ones are pretending to be smart ? is it really that relevant to ''future producers'', is it really that important for your career to know who you can talk politics with ? then you go callin me a dumbass too, lmao

how the **** are we supposed to know wether t.i. is a farm idiot and has spend years on learning a large vocabulary or he's just intelligent ? you're the dumbass here, go outside for a jog and think about the thread you just made and how you got at me, i guarantee you will feel like a moron

Last edited:
As a follow, up. I do not think the people you listed as political or conscious rappers are fake smart. I think the fake-smart label came up in the lupe thread and a lot of people co-signed saying they didn't like Lupe or he talks stuff but has his own share of contradictions. I like lupe and I'll take MCs that give me something to think about over 2 chainz, Waka, and a lot of these other lyrically lacking cats any day. I guess I'm in the minority, I can listen to the dance and get hyped stuff from time to time, but I need music with substance.

then what's the point of this thread ? do you have nothing better to do than arguing over the internet about which rappers are smart and which ones are pretending to be smart ? is it really that relevant to ''future producers'', is it really that important for your career to know who you can talk politics with ? then you go callin me a dumbass too, lmao

how the **** are we supposed to know wether t.i. is a farm idiot and has spend years on learning a large vocabulary or he's just intelligent ? you're the dumbass here, go outside for a jog and think about the thread you just made and how you got at me, i guarantee you will feel like a moron

I'm asking you who YOU think is fake smart. Chris Brown's tattoo has nothing to do with "future producers", yet you made a thread about it. Quit being a hypocrite. It seems like you are missing the entire point of the thread. People think there are fake-smart rappers out there. I'm asking, who do you think they are. Healthy discussion. Music impacts people greatly, and many people are largely influenced by the music they listen to. It's interesting to see who everyone thinks the phonys are. My question was who do you think are the fakes, and why do you think they are fake. If you have no input, stay the **** out of the thread and stop trying to pad your post count.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

As a follow, up. I do not think the people you listed as political or conscious rappers are fake smart. I think the fake-smart label came up in the lupe thread and a lot of people co-signed saying they didn't like Lupe or he talks stuff but has his own share of contradictions. I like lupe and I'll take MCs that give me something to think about over 2 chainz, Waka, and a lot of these other lyrically lacking cats any day. I guess I'm in the minority, I can listen to the dance and get hyped stuff from time to time, but I need music with substance.

I agree. But do you think there are any rappers out there (outside of the ones I named), that speak "false" substance?

Lol "fake smart". Lupe seems like a pretty smart guy to me, he's knowledgable. Just watch Bill O'Reilly vs. Lupe. 2 Chainz is super fake not smart tho lmao.

who do you think are the fakes, and why do you think they are fake.

as i said, i think its impossible to tell,

its the same thing when you put ted bundy next to some random dude and ask who's the serial killer, they'll pick the ugly guy

i think its impossible to identify t.i. or lupe or pac as fake smart, because what they preached resonated,

if you talkin fake rappers your looking into guys with corny political references and wannabe lyricsm, but as i don't know any of these i can't help you

and yes, ill be more than glad to stay out of your thread

You can't fake intelligence. It just can't happen.

Just just like someone's gangsta, you can call it when it's fake.

Peace.

I can think of fake smart rappers all day.....they just not famous and I can't remember their names or even care. lol! I see these rappers as having an opinion the same way as the people on the news in debates state theirs. And usually when they debate........it's turns into a vocabulary battle that has nothing to do with the topic. They even compliment their selves on words rarely used......."ohhh....nice" then think to their self....(O.K MFER.....I got yo ass now...hit you with some greek shit and break it down on yo ass) but still off topic.

Rappers = politicians. From what I've seen representing the so called "smart people" of this country of the US..........it's pretty even. Hell...this guy makes more sense than a lot of those people in the white house.

Fuuck all that deep shit and vocabulary battles got dammit!!!! Let's talk about the isha...MFer!!!

Last edited:
you could probably throw Nas into that category(Even though I am a big Nas fan). Probably Kanye West too.

I was watching an interview an Mos Def said he didn't believe that Al Quaeda was a real enemy of the US because he didn't believe the government's translations of the bin Laden tapes. :hmmm:

Just because you know how to rhyme good doesn't mean you know anything about the other aspects of life.

you could probably throw Nas into that category(Even though I am a big Nas fan). Probably Kanye West too.

right....take the most lyrical rappers and call em fake intelligent for the sake of replying to a thread, kanye got bars, nas got bars

2 legends, certainly not fake smart

right....take the most lyrical rappers and call em fake intelligent for the sake of replying to a thread, kanye got bars, nas got bars

It's not about lyrical ability. It's about content and truthfulness of said content. I don't think Nas is fake smart either, but having bars has nothing to do with it.

It's not about lyrical ability. It's about content and truthfulness of said content. I don't think Nas is fake smart either, but having bars has nothing to do with it.

nobody that can write a verse like this isn't smart in my book

New York streets where killers'll walk like Pistol Pete
And Pappy Mason, gave the young boys admiration
Prince from Queens and Fritz from Harlem
Street legends, the drugs kept the hood from starvin
Pushin cars, Nicky Barnes was the 70's
But there's a long list of high-profile celebrities
Worldwide on the thorough side of things
Livest kings, some died, one guy, one time
one day grabs me, as I'm about to blast heat
40-side of Vernon, I turned well he asked me
"Whatchu up to, the cops gon' bust you"
I was a teen drunk off brew, stumbled I wondered
if God sent him, cause two squad cars entered the block
and looked at us, I ain't flinch when they watched
I took it upstairs, the bathroom mirror, brushed my hair
Starin at a young disciple, I almost gave my life to what the dice do
Yeah man, throwin them bones
Hopin my ace get his case thrown
His girl ain't wait for him, she in the world straight hoein
While he lookin at centerfolds of pretty girls
showin they little cooch, gangstas don't die he's livin proof
The D.A. who tried him was lyin
A white dude, killed his mother durin the case
Hung jury, now the D.A. is bein replaced
Pre-trial hearin is over, it's real for the soldier
Walks in the courtroom, the look in his eyes is wild
Triple-homicide, I sit in the back aisle
I wanna crack a smile when I see him
Throw up a fist for black power, cause all we want is his freedom
He grabbed a court officer's gun and started squeezin
Then he grabbed the judge, screams out -- nobody leavin everybody

and kanye's lyrics on can't tell me nothing are intelligent and real too, so i'm not buyin these to be fake smarts

I don't know if I can tell which rappers are "fake-smart". Half the rappers out now don't ever write they own s*it, or need help. So its hard to tell.

the term fake-smart doesnt mean the people are stupid. Its people who go out of their way to believe they are more intelligent than others and try to push their intelligence on to people

you can tell who is authentic in the knowledge that they have and the need to speak it

i wouldnt say Jay Electronica is fake smart, but he has a lot of tendencies of someone who is. Just Blaze however is very knowledgable within his realm

Kendrick is my nigga, but i would throw him in that category too, Ab-Soul however i would not and thats from having convos with these people

Nas.. fake smart.. Jay-Z suprisingly very intelligent.

Fake Smart people tend to be extremely over opinionated about politics, religion, and a lot of hot buzz topics without any real research beyond what they see on the internet, or seen in a documentary. They tend to go out and say things like "voting doesnt mattter" or "the government did 9/11" but dont really have much real research to go behind their theories.

like i said, doesnt mean somebody is stupid. But people dont really do a lot of their research before they go spewing off the mouth. I look at Lupe vs Bill O Reily and the first thing i thought was this guy sounds stupider than when Cam & Dame was on here. You cant run around calling Obama a terrorist

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

and for the record all my opinions are formed from people that ive actually met and had conversations with in person. So im not just judging off things im seeing on the net

Totally missed the point man. Lyrical bars has nothing to do with being smart. I'm not saying they are bad rappers. Like I said I'm a Nas fan and a Kanye West fan. I'm just saying that they try to portray themselves as smarter than what they are and it usually shows up when they go into interviews.

It's easier to sit down and think up something to say that sounds good than to come up with something intelligent on the spot.

Back