F*ck Software

The reason why everything is going computer-based is because it's cheap. Maximum profit$$$

I definitely understand what you mean. While Maximum profit will always be true, pound for pound software has surpassed the technical and sonic capabilities of digital ROMplers, theres is now real justification for the switch. Now ever choice boils down to workflow and sonics ultimately.

I honestly miss workstations +Mpc workflow, Nothing can beat the speed and fun in that....the truth is the keyboard workstation is dead, as are Romplers in general (Notice no one is making new rack modules anymore). You can teach someone on hardware so that they understand the physical mechanics behind things, but they also need to know where the production world is going. You have to teach both today.
I agree with you. I think in some ways the age of hardware machines in general is dead. The mpcs are on their last leg and I feel machine truely is the Mpc killer but nowadays you'll only find users or buyers who A love hardware already or B are collectors. I think hardware synths still have a place in the production world but I dont expect to see many more hardware romplers, workstations or samplers do well on the market anytime soon.

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

The production world has already gone computer based...its not really about "going". Even folks that use Tape are also using Pro Tools these days. Production and Beatmaking...different topic. Beatmaking will always be more fun on hardware because of the 1-to-1 feedback between a human and hardware. ROMplers will exist for a different market, but they wont be the staple they once were in a project studio. 10 years ago look at how many sound modules existed, look at it now. Romplers will be designed for Stage use going forward, not for studio use primarily. Not saying hardware doesnt have a place, but look at whats really going on in the music instruments industry, the change is already here.
yep pretty much

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

I definitely understand what you mean. While Maximum profit will always be true, pound for pound software has surpassed the technical and sonic capabilities of digital ROMplers, theres is now real justification for the switch. Now ever choice boils down to workflow and sonics ultimately.
i disagree about hardware romplers reaching their peak. I think you could make a hardware rompler that is just as capable as these software synths but people wouldn't want to pay for it. How many people making music these days actually pay for their software? Not many that I know of.

I personally will use hardware until the day comes that we have PC's that are powerful enough to handle as many VST instruments and effects as I want. I'm sure that it will come around in a few years, but for now I get REALLY tired of running into CPU limits when trying to produce on the comnputer. I also expect to see more sophisticated synthesis in upcoming software. Really, a lot of software available these days sounds good. But even with a super powerful computer, you're still stuck in front of a ... computer. Too many distractions.

I am starting to even hate recording on a computer kuz of distractions. im on twitter right now and im listening to records while i check my email and read on fp

I am starting to even hate recording on a computer kuz of distractions. im on twitter right now and im listening to records while i check my email and read on fp

Do yourself a favor, get another computer. Have one for music and one for the internet. Don't even connect your music pc to the internet. That way you you won't get distracted.

I don't think that's really a feasible solution for most people. Computers are great for a lot of things, but I also hate them. They're the biggest timewaster in the world. I'm glad I have a crappy prepaid cellphone or I'd probably be one of those people who live on their smart phone and nearly cry if it gets lost.

In fact I'm going to get the hell off of my laptop right now and start studying.

Do yourself a favor, get another computer. Have one for music and one for the internet. Don't even connect your music pc to the internet. That way you you won't get distracted.
i tried that it became a pita kuz i wanted to do software updates i also didnt get around to using the net pc it was better for me oddly to use both on one machine

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

I don't think that's really a feasible solution for most people. Computers are great for a lot of things, but I also hate them. They're the biggest timewaster in the world. I'm glad I have a crappy prepaid cellphone or I'd probably be one of those people who live on their smart phone and nearly cry if it gets lost.

In fact I'm going to get the hell off of my laptop right now and start studying.
lol i turned my smart phone off a few months ago to save money it wasnt a hard choice my son needed something i forget what though i do miss it though.

I have two desktops at home. One for music and one for everything else. I have the music pc connected to the internet, but only for updates and registration. Otherwise, it never see's the internet.

To be honest, I'm glad I did that because I would have no use for my internet pc if I didn't. My internet pc is about 6 years old.

I personally will use hardware until the day comes that we have PC's that are powerful enough to handle as many VST instruments and effects as I want. I'm sure that it will come around in a few years, but for now I get REALLY tired of running into CPU limits when trying to produce on the comnputer....

a modern Rompler has a few major limitations, typically only 16 part Multimbral, and only 128 Voice Polyphony. When that engine is overwhelmed you generally buy another rompler/module hardware synth in order to get around this limitation or you begin recording audio to free up the hardware. For some reason with computers we look at it as such a final thing and that we cannot develop anything else to work around this hardware limitation. The reality is that freeze tracks, networked computers and nodes are all feasible today. Its really just a matter of changing your mindset on things.

They still sound better though, which is what's important.

And I'm not writing orchestral pieces, I do not really need insane amounts of polyphony. In fact several pieces I own are monosynths. Between all that I have, I have way more polyphony than I could ever need.

The bottom line is this: If you do not plan on performing live, go with software. It's a lot simpler and less expensive. If you just want to make beats you can get by with a PC. But if you want to play out live (like I do), it's all about hardware sound and hands-on grooving. Plus it looks a hell of a lot more interesting that some guy with a laptop and a midi controller. (zzzz!!!)

I personally will use hardware until the day comes that we have PC's that are powerful enough to handle as many VST instruments and effects as I want. I'm sure that it will come around in a few years, but for now I get REALLY tired of running into CPU limits when trying to produce on the comnputer. I also expect to see more sophisticated synthesis in upcoming software. Really, a lot of software available these days sounds good. But even with a super powerful computer, you're still stuck in front of a ... computer. Too many distractions.

so with your hardware you can run as many simultaneous instances of each synth you have at the same time? i didn't know they had invented duplication devices for hardware products...

as for expecting to see "more sophisticated synthesis in upcoming software". please get real. look at soft synths like alchemy, zebra, any semi-modular synth or look at full blown modular environments like reaktor.

sound quality is entirely subjective.

i love the old sound of sampled songs but i also love super clean sounding stuff as well. different moods.

so with your hardware you can run as many simultaneous instances of each synth you have at the same time? i didn't know they had invented duplication devices for hardware products...

as for expecting to see "more sophisticated synthesis in upcoming software". please get real. look at soft synths like alchemy, zebra, any semi-modular synth or look at full blown modular environments like reaktor.

sound quality is entirely subjective.

i love the old sound of sampled songs but i also love super clean sounding stuff as well. different moods.

With hardware I can run any of it simultaneously and never worry about dropouts, latency, etc. It's solid. What I meant is that before I go ALL software I'd want a computer capable of running as many vst instruments and effects as I'd like, simultaneously and in realtime.

And yeah, there are some pretty good softsynths on the market that have amazing flexibility, but I'm more on a live tip than studio production. I don't like to use my computer with my gear rig except for recording. Sound quality is subjective of course, but then most things in life are. I personally notice a huge difference in sound between using hardware and software.

I still like to get in Fruity Loops or Ableton and jam once in a while but even with all the vst's and efx I could ever need and more at my disposal, it's just hard to get the overall tone I like. If I wanted to make super clean club tracks, sure, I could use a DAW and spend hours making every automation and mixdown perfect... but to me that's a chore, not fun.

And for what it's worth, I definitely prefer analog tape recordings over the highest quality digital ones. Plugins simply aren't the same.

analog forever

Back