F*ck Software

Doc Da Suess

8 Years Experience
I've had some students ask me what gear they should get.

How many people here would recommend getting an MPC in this day and age?

I have one (of course) and I've been using MPC's since 2004. But it seems that software setups 5 years later have become much more simpler and cheaper to use. As much as I love my mpc and I kill on it, I'm starting to see the light of software, which pains me cuz I hate the workflow. To make matters worse, it even looks like AKAI/NUMARK won't be making additions to the MPC line or anything, probably abandoning most support in the future.

So... I ask you: is the mpc an overrated piece of metal?
Would you recommend this to newbies... frankly, i'm having a hard time convincing myself I should be.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

NOTE: There have been a million debates on this, but I'm asking what should I (ME, DOC, MYSELF, I) should recommend to my students

I think its good to have both hardware and software. Use both the MPC and software together. I still use my VSTi's as instruments. Beats having a room full of Keyboards and Synths. And its good to use computer for storage too!
That way you can have that hands on feeling of using the MP and the power of software!

Just my .02

I think its good to have both hardware and software. Use both the MPC and software together. I still use my VSTi's as instruments. Beats having a room full of Keyboards and Synths. And its good to use computer for storage too!
That way you can have that hands on feeling of using the MP and the power of software!

Just my .02
there u go thats the way to do it. I dont think a mpc is a need in this day and age unlike 10 years ago. Back then the mpc was the best sequencer known to man and in some ways it still is but to some its just dated. Most companies have stopped making hardware for the most part. In the last 3 years the only company I can think of that are really putting out hardware still is akai and its them bullsh*t synths and Korg. But its really a sign of the times. Yamaha has already bought a major software company as has Roland. They see the future and they are embracing it just as we should. I hate software workflows for the most part but thats just where music production is going. See you when you get there

i just got the 2500 last week!

i been usein software untill now,(reson,cubase) an the MPC so much better, both work flow and sound..its a little sticky right now hookin everythin together.. but its so much better then usin a PC..ther for work an starin at a screen its deadout..

hardware all the way.

The best thing about the mpc is the loose feel it gives, rather then seq. with a PC. With the MPC, not only do u get the computer tight quantizing, but u also can have the loose feel and out sounds wherever u want them to go. I also feel like the work flow is easier on the MP...and the software should be mainly for editing and mixing and making the tracks, that were tracked in an mpc, sound better. MPC-putting the sounds together in the track and putting everything where u want them to go
SOftware-making those tracked out sounds and tracks from the mpc sound like they should and make em sound better and brings them to life. Its the best of both worlds...but if an mpc could edit sounds like a DAW can....well thatll b the only machine ill ever need.

I still love hardware but I will admit, it is kind of a novelty to me. It just when I feel like working with something different. If you are sample based, most the MPC series isn't lacking functionality or features. It just is that most things are more tedious and take longer.

I wouldn't say get rid of it if it works for you, I also am not one to only use one thing and never second guess it. It takes a lot for me to decide to actually try something new as I don't like to learn new things but I also learn things inside and out.

Some people want a beat done in 30 min. On an mpc, depending on how many outs, that 30 min beat may take you 45 min to track out. Other people spend days on beats and it becomes less significant. For me, I have to be in the right "mood" to get going on my hardware or I become frustrated. Sometimes I want things done quick. Other times, it doesn't matter how long something takes if I am enjoying myself. So that plays a role.

I say have both anyway, even if you use one or the other considerably more. I never understood why there is this mentality you can't have both. Most of us waste more money in our lives on simpler things that we are less into anyway.

As long as you find use for a MPC its not useless. I would recommend a hardware/software combo now a days. Software usually blows hardware out of the water when it comes to ease of use and price to features ratio.

Well, I am working with someone now on a project, and in the whole process I havent found one single thing that has made me use my mpc for anything. It has been a situation where while the process is certainly more entailed the use of controllers and the like combined with Logic and Live have saved me a ton of time, and money ultimately.

I would suggest perhaps teaching kids what it is about hardware that we all liked. Perhaps distilling it down to what makes products like the maschine, such a nice thing. How its taking much of what we loved about hardware and making it available and more importantly bringing the workflow along with it. That way, it would put you into suggesting a software setup but since its the way things are going, better to prepare them for the future. I would rather hear my professor tell me to get the most bang for my buck, and I know that software teaches versatility.

Just my thoughts on it.

I currently use the MPC5000 for live situations and software for recording situations.
I am currently looking integrating both software and mpc via a midi interface for my performances. reason is becuz it is 10 times easier to load/edit my samples via the software than on the MPC.

iuse both, idnt think its agood idea to go all software, imean software is cool and everything bt somtimes its just best to be away frrom a computer and jus make music, and somtimes idnt feel like using my mv-8000 so iuse software. both of them gets the job done just depends on what ur in the mood for and also ur level of creativity. any piece of hardware that has basic sampling and sequencing capabilities is capable of great things, somtimes ugotta remember less is more and be creative with the limitations that you have, whereas with software there is no limitations on most programs, and yea it sounds good bt thats not always agood thing if uhave no general use for it.

personally i wouldn't recommend anybody to start off on hardware nowadays. you would really be just making things a lot more difficult than they need to be.

really everything an MPC does can be done in software, times a thousand. my MPC just sits under my bed. i haven't used it in over a year i think.

BUT!!!

some people do work better with hardware. i still have my SP-404 hooked up at all times and although its feature set can't touch that of the MPC i prefer working on it and i occasionally do bang out loops on it.

now i wouldn't use it as my main piece of gear but the point i'm making is that technically inferior pieces of gear still have their place. it's all down to the individual and if they like the workflow or not.

nowadays if somebody asks what should they get if they want to get into making beats or electronic music i just recommend reaper. i mean reaper, a bunch of free plugins. get an MPC down the line if you want. no need to waste money at the start.

My first piece of gear was hardware, too. I started out with a Yamaha QY70. I still got it tucked away collecting dust. From there i bought a Yamaha Sampler, then a Motif and then a Yamaha Disk Recording Workstation(AW2816). From all that hardware i went straight to Software. Dont get me wrong, software is very very powerful. But over the years, I think using both Hardware and Software together, you will have the best of both worlds!
Right now im using a MPC2500 maxed out along with my software. In the end...you have to get what works for YOU!

Just my .02

As long as you find use for a MPC its not useless. I would recommend a hardware/software combo now a days. Software usually blows hardware out of the water when it comes to ease of use and price to features ratio.

What he said. a newb can simply use a software demo of a DAW (which theyll use to record/mix the MPC anyway) to get their feet wet and just add the MPC as needed. you can have em try out Reaper which is basically free...

Dey both are essential dey both give u different feels creativity wise i wud never say any kind f hardware sequencer or sampler is a waste it does wat u need it to do...rec

My MPC 1000 is about to hit EBay. I like the work flow of it but in this day in age I could get away with a software sequencer and use that $500 to invest in more sounds.

Not arguing the analog vs digital, but I hear alot of guys talking about software if faster, workflow is so much better.

Could it be a possibility that maybe you haven't used the right hardware to keep you stuck on it than just trying out a mpc 1000 or a 500 and gave up? I have no need to convert peoples idea of which is better, just want to see if after you 'convert', do you still want to try more hardware?

Back