Dr. Dre -- 'I'M THE 1ST BILLIONAIRE IN HIP HOP'

People call the headphones "Beats By Dre".

...................really? Sounds about like saying "people call the shoes Nike Air Jordan XX9's........

Too many syllables...........

Branding is good for the product......don't try and make the product like it's all about branding when it was a "very small" part of it's success. Without Dre's name you telling me it wouldn't sell if everything else wasn't changed? It could've been just "beats"..........with nobody's name on it.

smh...throw Studio on the name....we can get every beat maker out there to buy them twice...........

Don't lie......a lot of yall know you thought they were headphones made specifically for beat making.......:cheers: Dr.Dre.....beats......studio....yep he got you dawgs........

Last edited:
...................really? Sounds about like saying "people call the shoes Nike Air Jordan XX9's........

Too many syllables...........

Branding is good for the product......don't try and make the product like it's all about branding when it was a "very small" part of it's success. Without Dre's name you telling me it wouldn't sell if everything else wasn't changed? It could've been just "beats"..........with nobody's name on it.

smh...throw Studio on the name....we can get every beat maker out there to buy them twice...........

Don't lie......a lot of yall know you thought they were headphones made specifically for beat making.......:cheers: Dr.Dre.....beats......studio....yep he got you dawgs........

I disagree. Dre being connected was a huge part of the marketing for it. He made it cool to the hip hop crowd. Interscope music videos with artists listening on the headphones, commercials with him and other famous people like Lebron listening to it. HP commercials with Dre in it boasting about beats audio in the computers and phones. Dre was pretty center front with the advertising for it. I couldn't imagine Quincy pulling it off with his akg's.

What stars did Timbo make?

Don't worry, I'll wait...

Although they may seem minuscule at this point(same as people like RBX, Hitman, Knocturnal, D-12, Joe Beast, Bishop Lamont, Truth Hurts)...

Ms. Jade
Bubba Sparxxxx
Aaliyah(yeah she had an album before him, but she reinvented herself after R.Kelly got the boot, She COUNTS)
Magoo(I snickered a little myself, but, yeah he deserves mention)
Lil' Mo
Nicole Wray

Then on a "slightly" bigger scale, he had Missy and One Direction.

We will make ourselves believe he hasn't been a huge contribution in the overall success of Jay Z, Nelly Furtado, and Justin Timberlake post N'sync. Also done hits for EVERYBODY.

With all that said, not comparing and saying he's done anything close to what Dre has done...Just saying in whatever year Beats came out, their name as far as ability to push a product was equivalent on a marketing scale. But now, because of the success of Beats, Dre's lightyears ahead, I won't debate that.

Would Dre even be that relevant today if it wasn't for Beats? I think he helped the headphones, but I think they helped him out just as much.

Although they may seem minuscule at this point(same as people like RBX, Hitman, Knocturnal, D-12, Joe Beast, Bishop Lamont, Truth Hurts)...

Ms. Jade
Bubba Sparxxxx
Aaliyah(yeah she had an album before him, but she reinvented herself after R.Kelly got the boot, She COUNTS)
Magoo(I snickered a little myself, but, yeah he deserves mention)
Lil' Mo
Nicole Wray

Then on a "slightly" bigger scale, he had Missy and One Direction.

We will make ourselves believe he hasn't been a huge contribution in the overall success of Jay Z, Nelly Furtado, and Justin Timberlake post N'sync. Also done hits for EVERYBODY.

With all that said, not comparing and saying he's done anything close to what Dre has done...Just saying in whatever year Beats came out, their name as far as ability to push a product was equivalent on a marketing scale. But now, because of the success of Beats, Dre's lightyears ahead, I won't debate that.

C'mon...you know good and well that's a list of artists that he SIGNED.

NONE of those are legit STARS, with the exception of Aaliyah, who's the only person you even have a shot at attributing to Timbaland...even though she was already pretty big with R.Kelly.

And remember, she pretty much dumped Timbo after that One In A Million album. His producing with her was sporadic after that...what little bit of music she had after that.

But Aaliyah is splitting hairs.

Out of the rest of those folks, I'd put MAGOO at the top of that list!! That's how MEDIOCRE it is!! LOL.

Sure, Timbo made one or two hot records with each of those artists...WHICH IS EXACTLY MY POINT.

Look at the list of Stars that have come out from Dre's tutelage...

Eazy E
Ice Cube
DOC
NWA
Above The Law
Snoop Dogg
Nate Dogg
Tupac
Eminem
50 Cent
Dr. Dre

And not even to mention the role players who had some damn hot records...

Tha Dogg Pound
Daz
Kurupt
Lady of Rage
Truth Hurts

Dre makes STARS...his legacy is cemented. He's an OG.

By comparison, Timbo is just known to bust shots.

Dre's the only producer that could have pulled off the BEATS cosign.

^^^So, you're saying Missy(regardless of if you like her music, numbers don't Lie), isn't worth mentioning among Eazy E(who arguably "made Dre, not the other way around), DOC, Nate Dogg, Above the Law? And since we're splitting hairs, Cube's success came tenfold when he went solo(without Dre). Pac was overly established before making records with Dre(same can't be said of Aaliyah's lackluster 1st album with R. Kelly). So if Dre get's to claim Pac, Timbo can claim JT(especially since he's done entire albums with the guy that reinvented his sound).

Again, not saying they're the same, but definitely in the same league and evenly marketable at the time Beats were created. Hell, if Beats were made when Storch was on top, he would've been more marketable than either of these guys. Yamaha owes him for alot of Motif purchases, dudes wanted anything that could make them the next...whatever he was. Lol.

Last edited:
I disagree. Dre being connected was a huge part of the marketing for it. He made it cool to the hip hop crowd. Interscope music videos with artists listening on the headphones, commercials with him and other famous people like Lebron listening to it. HP commercials with Dre (or whoever it could've been) in it boasting about beats audio in the computers and phones. Dre (or whoever it could've been) was pretty center front with the advertising for it. I couldn't imagine Quincy pulling it off with his akg's.

You disagree.....yet add Dr.Dre's name only to disagree yet you saying the same thing. And you can't imagine because you are basically "a music producer". You and other musicians usually have this selfish view of the "world' and how it thinks. It's usually not as it is in your mind. So that is why it's hard seeing Quincy pulling it off.......as you do realize what market AKG was targeting, right? The average consumer is about as dumb as a fish. They can't tell you who the Vice President is of the U.S.........but you expect them to know who Dr.Dre is? Like I said before.....80% of FP only know of Dr.Dre from 99 - 2004.............nuff said right? The rest know because they are fascinated enough to study more about him....or we grew up enjoying and seeing him all over hip hop throughout the years. To most he fell off and your expectations of him as well as others disappointed you. You wanted Detox....you got Kush and random leaks. But oh.......the world was waiting on Detox right? Even with the powerful Eminem the hype of Detox wasn't "strong enough." Yet you and others are still trying to make the headphones seem powerful BECAUSE OF DRE? End of discussion right there.

Last edited:
Na, I don't see why you guys keep pushing against such a basic concept. Dre's name recognition was key in building this brand.
We are engaging in a convo filled with hypotheticals. I didn't know Q had headphones into I got into producing, but I doubt he could have given the headphones sales like Dre even in mid-eighties.
There are things in life that happen because of combination of reasons, and none of us can go back in time and change the circumstances or synergy of forces.
@yokuzin U keep pulling this old school card, but I remember when Turn Off the lights on the radio (i was a kid), and I still don't think anyone has taken Dre's crown of historical hip-hop production/influence that spans 40 years when you consider that Em, 50, and Kendrick are all affiliated which keeps him in the modern era. Q did the same thing, if you know your history. Some of Q's biggest hits came with a team of great musicians and composers, such as Rod Templeton (from heatwave).
Ya'll keep doing this what if stuff, like what if Dominique won the dunk contest over Jordan in 88(some people think he did), would MJ still be as big as he is today? I can't believe people are talking about Jordan's in 2014.
I don't think Dre made beats like an engineer, developed the marketing strategy, made the calls like Jimmy, or provided the capital. He was the face of the brand and his face, in my view, was very important to the companies' growth.

You disagree.....yet add Dr.Dre's name only to disagree yet you saying the same thing. And you can't imagine because you are basically "a music producer". You and other musicians usually have this selfish view of the "world' and how it thinks. It's usually not as it is in your mind. So that is why it's hard seeing Quincy pulling it off.......as you do realize what market AKG was targeting, right? The average consumer is about as dumb as a fish. They can't tell you who the Vice President is of the U.S.........but you expect them to know who Dr.Dre is? Like I said before.....80% of FP only know of Dr.Dre from 99 - 2004.............nuff said right? The rest know because they are fascinated enough to study more about him....or we grew up enjoying and seeing him all over hip hop throughout the years. To most he fell off and your expectations of him as well as others disappointed you. You wanted Detox....you got Kush and random leaks. But oh.......the world was waiting on Detox right? Even with the powerful Eminem the hype of Detox wasn't "strong enough." Yet you and others are still trying to make the headphones seem powerful BECAUSE OF DRE? End of discussion right there.

The average consumer actually does no who DRE is due to a lasting legacy of good music. In da Club, Ain't nothing but a G Thing, and California Love are 3 songs with Dre that are timeless and still get plays even though it's been 10 plus years since their releases. People play Grand Theft Auto and turn it to Radio Los Santos and hear his music. You mention the name Snoop Dogg and Dre's name follows. Same thing with Eminem. Em released the song I need a doctor with Dre. So it was an obvious choice to go with him. To get as big as a response you would've have to have gone with Timbo, in the early 2000's or Jermaine Dupri in the late 90's or Quincy in the 80's. The funny thing is with Beats by Dre is, it could've been bigger if it was pushed in 2003.

:cheers: carry on....yall ain't hearing me. Proof is all over the place past my post. You all are tell your views from musicians, producers, beatmakers, critics ect. Point of view.

My end it all post is with the most important thing I asked. If Dr.Dre's name wasn't on it, are you all telling me beats wouldn't be as successful? They were riding the success of apple. And they both went together all of this time from day one. Walking around with them teeny weeny factory ear buds. You want some bump....but you are not an audiophile....WHAT DO YOU GET?

Plain and simple. Dre's name is not even icing....it's sprinkles....chocolate chips.

LMAO!!! :cry: What commercial are yall watching that I missed....that made average consumers be like "YES.....THIS GOT TO BE GREAT IF DR.DRE SAYS IT? Yall can't be serious. lol!

Commercials made Bo Jackson "well known"....not the other way around. Not because he was awesome in sports......but because Bo Knows everything....or...

That may spark the brain of someone "WANTING TO KNOW MORE ABOUT BO JACKSON".....right? Or hell....let me find out about this Bo Diddley dude right now 25 or whatever years later.

So why are yall still feeling like Dr.Dre's name on the product had that much power of the product? Hell...we can say people definitely knew more of Bo Jackson back then than Dr.Dre at ANY PART OF HIS CAREER.

Yall are thinking too hard.

Last edited:
:cheers: carry on....yall ain't hearing me. Proof is all over the place past my post. You all are tell your views from musicians, producers, beatmakers, critics ect. Point of view.

My end it all post is with the most important thing I asked. If Dr.Dre's name wasn't on it, are you all telling me beats wouldn't be as successful? They were riding the success of apple. And they both went together all of this time from day one. Walking around with them teeny weeny factory ear buds. You want some bump....but you are not an audiophile....WHAT DO YOU GET?

Plain and simple. Dre's name is not even icing....it's sprinkles....chocolate chips.

LMAO!!! :cry: What commercial are yall watching that I missed....that made average consumers be like "YES.....THIS GOT TO BE GREAT IF DR.DRE SAYS IT? Yall can't be serious. lol!

Commercials made Bo Jackson "well known"....not the other way around. Not because he was awesome in sports......but because Bo Knows everything....or...

That may spark the brain of someone "WANTING TO KNOW MORE ABOUT BO JACKSON".....right? Or hell....let me find out about this Bo Diddley dude right now 25 or whatever years later.

So why are yall still feeling like Dr.Dre's name on the product had that much power of the product? Hell...we can say people definitely knew more of Bo Jackson back then than Dr.Dre at ANY PART OF HIS CAREER.

Yall are thinking too hard.

If what you are saying is true why did Iovine choose Dr. Dre and not just put out "BEATS" by itself?

If the name behind the brand doesn't matter then why go to the trouble to make sure his face and name were on it?

Come on son, logic tells you if there's a face behind a product the face holds some sort of value. This is not rocket science, just think logically for a few seconds...

- Face introduces product
- Market is familiar with face
- Market trusts face
- Therefore market trusts product
- Product sells due to face
- Face no longer needs to be attached to product in order to sell

Do people today buy Jordans because it's Michael Jordan?

No...

When they were first originally released did people buy Jordans because it was "Michael Jordan"?

You're damn fu*king right they did... lol.

You're going to sit here and tell me that Nike commercials and sneakers made Michael Jordan a big star?

F*ck outta here, lol

Last edited:
I think some of y'all are overlooking the significance of the Halo effect, it doesn't even matter if an overwhelming majority of kids don't know who Dre is when they are following the cool kids who are following Dre.

Never mind the people who follow trends start with the ones that lead the trends.

Timbo is nowhere on the level of Dre. I'm not sure who suggested that. He got hits, but he can't compare to Dre's list of who's who in hip-hop.

1) Timbo is nowhere on the level of Dr. Dre????

In what area are we talking? Developing artists or the music itself? Timbaland is more versatile. He can do Pop, R&B, and Rap while being arguably one of the best at each. Timbaland's sound is so unique and different and ever changing. He's changed the sound of the game and reinvented himself more times than anyone.

2) He can't compare to Dre's list of who's who in hip-hop???

I would say Timbaland has prolly worked with more artists in the rap game than anyone around. Even without developing some of those artist, his magic in the studio with them created the biggest hits of some of their careers. He even saved a couple careers if even momentarily. And if we take the "hip-hop" out of the argument, his list of people he's worked with is more impressive by far.

Last edited:
Again, not saying they're the same, but definitely in the same league and evenly marketable at the time Beats were created. Hell, if Beats were made when Storch was on top, he would've been more marketable than either of these guys. Yamaha owes him for alot of Motif purchases, dudes wanted anything that could make them the next...whatever he was. Lol.

You know what, I'll actually agree with you there. Scott Storch had people talking about PRODUCERS in a way that no one ever had before...without jumping on a track.

So yeah, it's a real shame that he didn't capitalize on that breakthrough. Because you're right, that dude sold a hell of a lot of Motif's!

:cry:

Come on son, logic tells you if there's a face behind a product the face holds some sort of value. This is not rocket science, just think logically for a few seconds...

- Market trusts face

No...

When they were first originally released did people buy Jordans because it was "Michael Jordan"?

You're going to sit here and tell me that Nike commercials and sneakers made Michael Jordan a big star?

F*ck outta here, lol

And yet somebody else posting to disagree yet are actually saying the same thing I'm saying.

You drunk Gatorade because of Mike, right? Ate wheaties? Damn lie. You bet not have on no "Fruit of the Looms" with your statement. Actually....you may have ate a box or emptied a box of Wheaties with Jordan on the box....hell.....that $5 was worth it...wasn't it? Your shoe fascination of your post failed and actually proves my point. Nike was a great success without Jordan. IF JORDAN went to Avia, would we care about Jordan's today? Who was bigger even back then....dude....Nike or Jordan? Nuff said. Nobody is saying Jordan or Dr.Dre is not great for a product, just saying...your fascination with these athletes and producers is overrated.

F*ck outta here. You telling me it didn't. smh. Your fascination with Jordan and basketball has your mind tricked. We can flip this.......Who would people say is their favorite hockey player back in "JORDAN'S DAY"? Do you watch hockey? Yet you can name atleast one guy in hockey and label him great....right?

Last edited:
^^^Shaq released an offbrand shoe. NOBODY wants a pair of Shaqs. Would it be the same if he went thru Nike? I'm sure they'd be at least as big as the Barkleys were/are(Retro).

I think all myself and Yokuzin are saying is, there's a brand, and there's a face. The face is interchangeable, or people would only buy Wheaties when their favorite athlete was on the box. They'd only buy Jordans that Jordan actually played in. ect.

As producers, we buy things to PRODUCE MUSIC, so our views may be jaded. But in the real world people are buying Beats for flashy colors and the fact they're "baller accessories" that take the place of gold chains these days. If they become "Apple Beats" and Dre is completely removed from the brand, it will not affect the sale negatively. Dre didn't have the huge effect they wanted him to. Nobody bought those HP Computers for "Beats technology", Not even producers, and I remember him advertising for those more than the headphones. There was a commercial of him in the studio on one and on a plane using one. Everyone still agreed they were overpriced because of the name "Dre" being attached to them. Why? BECAUSE THE BRAND WAS HfucinP!!!!

Last edited:
If what you are saying is true why did Iovine choose Dr. Dre and not just put out "BEATS" by itself?

If the name behind the brand doesn't matter then why go to the trouble to make sure his face and name were on it?

- Market trusts face

No...

F*ck outta here, lol

That's it right there. It's a mutual benefit for both of them. At launch the face is important. It's huge in the beginning. As time goes on the face doesn't really matter. the product will start selling on it's own merits. So we return to the point of who else could've achieved this success? Not many people is the true answer. Maybe if you caught Timbo around 2003 or around 2006. Not really anyone else producer wise in hip hop

Sits and wonders where people get their "true" information.

nike2

Greater than............
jordan_rookie_year.jpg

Or even the guy said to be better than Jordan....
rookie_01.jpg

But damn....what happened.....
http://www.cardboardconnection.com/kobe-bryant-shoes-guide-history

The same thing as that lower case b......or an Apple bitten into. They were jumping up happy and shit and was quick to sign that deal...............because they ain't Nike. They had a deal in the works from the beginning...the deal they were working for....(now that is my opinion). That was a "deal they were waitng on" (IMO)......because they milked the unexpected. It's like "who wants to be a billionare" the game show....forget it man take the money. lol! As negative as this sounds it is not as negative as you are reading it. It's a smart move.

End of discussion.

Last edited:
Back