Does FP have real musicians?

neverenoughfunk said:
out of all these musicians are anyone of you guys/gals in the union?

what type of crowds have you played before (50, 100, 1000, 10000)?

what is the biggest venu have you played?

could you entertain a group of people for 45 minutes with your skills?

if an artist called you to the stage would you be able to sit in?

if an artist called to a studio could you play something in 11/4?

do you know how to read charts (reading charts is different reading music)?

can you write charts?

can you transpose songs to other keys?

can you create arrangments?

do you know the different between a bosa nova, shuffle, bebop, swing, etc?

or can you only do what you do?

Those are all mainly just question of whether you're a professional, paid musician. And besides, many of those questions are basic theoretics that even nonmusicians can learn in an Intro to Music 101 course.

The guy on the basketball court down the street, who got wrapped up in some stupid armed robbery when he was 16-years-old and because of that can never get a scholarship into college and therefore never get into the NBA; but he still spends hours a day on the court, can school anybody in the city, could probably take some NBA players down in a hurry; He wouldn't be a "real" basketball player by the kind of definitions you're using to define a "real" musician. And he may not even know how to run Duke's playbook, or even the principles of hiding a zone defense, but since he can't write out a chart designating where players should be, he's not a real basketball player?

Anyway: to answer Q's

Between 100-1000

Opened for KRS-1

Did it last Friday

Did that last Saturday

I think a song in 11/4 is most likely going to be played in science lab, but I could do it

Nope

No

Yes, everyone can do that. Think about how even nonmusicians can sing happy birthday in any key

[Yawn]...Yes

Do you know the difference between Hardcore, Punk, Punk-Rock, Emo, Screamo, Post-Punk, Hardcore Punk, Grindcore, Death metal, Thrash metal, House, Ambient, Techno, IDM, Indie, Folk, Folktronic, Indietronic, Surf, Rock-a-billy, Garage, Garage Rock, Two-Step, Dub, Grimey, Hyphy, etc? it's pointless to prove something by how many variations you can name.

Hosey said:
Those are all mainly just question of whether you're a professional, paid musician. And besides, many of those questions are basic theoretics that even nonmusicians can learn in an Intro to Music 101 course.

The guy on the basketball court down the street, who got wrapped up in some stupid armed robbery when he was 16-years-old and because of that can never get a scholarship into college and therefore never get into the NBA; but he still spends hours a day on the court, can school anybody in the city, could probably take some NBA players down in a hurry; He wouldn't be a "real" basketball player by the kind of definitions you're using to define a "real" musician. And he may not even know how to run Duke's playbook, or even the principles of hiding a zone defense, but since he can't write out a chart designating where players should be, he's not a real basketball player?

Anyway: to answer Q's

Between 100-1000

Opened for KRS-1

Did it last Friday

Did that last Saturday

I think a song in 11/4 is most likely going to be played in science lab, but I could do it

Nope

No

Yes, everyone can do that. Think about how even nonmusicians can sing happy birthday in any key

[Yawn]...Yes

Do you know the difference between Hardcore, Punk, Punk-Rock, Emo, Screamo, Post-Punk, Hardcore Punk, Grindcore, Death metal, Thrash metal, House, Ambient, Techno, IDM, Indie, Folk, Folktronic, Indietronic, Surf, Rock-a-billy, Garage, Garage Rock, Two-Step, Dub, Grimey, Hyphy, etc? it's pointless to prove something by how many variations you can name.

first off, i really enjoy your posts.

secondly, it is hard to talk to individuals when you do not know thier skill level, very differcult.

i could spend a month on the basketball thing but do not have the time or energy.

about 11/4 thing i have a show with gary granger (the basses) tonite where we are playing 2 11/4 pieces. allan hollworth will be on guitar.

there is a big differents between those variations you name -vs- bosa nova, shuffle, bebop and swing. to answer your question i do not know the differents between those variation but you give me a chart and tempo and i will see at the end of the piece of music. on time too.

Isnt a musican just a person who performs music???? It doesnt mean you have to GOOD at it....

neverenoughfunk said:
out of all these musicians are anyone of you guys/gals in the union? yes, I am in a local musicians union.

what type of crowds have you played before (50, 100, 1000, 10000)? 100

what is the biggest venu have you played? 250

could you entertain a group of people for 45 minutes with your skills? yes, i can and have

if an artist called you to the stage would you be able to sit in? yes

if an artist called to a studio could you play something in 11/4? I can play anything

do you know how to read charts (reading charts is different reading music)? no

can you write charts? no

can you transpose songs to other keys? yes

can you create arrangments? yes

do you know the different between a bosa nova, shuffle, bebop, swing, etc? yes

or can you only do what you do? I am most comfortable doing what I do. Who isn't? But, that's not all I can do.

It's great to know/do the things in your list above, however those things do not make you a great musician. They just make you educated in musicianship.

You put two people on stage. Person A knows all there is to know about music. Person B only knows what sounds good to him.

Person A plays a highly technical song with an intricate structure that is highly progressive. It goes way over the crowds head and nobody claps.

Person B plays a simple song with simple chords, a simple structure and a catchy melody. The crowd dances and gives a standing ovation when the song is over.

You ask almost anyone in the crowd who is the better musician and I bet most people are going to vote for person B. Simplicity wins.

A lot of musicians get caught up trying to impress other musicians by making thier music too complex or strange. In the process, they lose the everyday average non-musician listener. I don't make music to prove how awesome I am or that I'm better than other musicians. I make music because I have no other choice. It's in my soul...

It's a big difference between the one who really knows it and also knows how to make it simple and the one who doesn't know anything else than simple.

Grips said:
It's great to know/do the things in your list above, however those things do not make you a great musician. They just make you educated in musicianship.

You put two people on stage. Person A knows all there is to know about music. Person B only knows what sounds good to him.

Person A plays a highly technical song with an intricate structure that is highly progressive. It goes way over the crowds head and nobody claps.

Person B plays a simple song with simple chords, a simple structure and a catchy melody. The crowd dances and gives a standing ovation when the song is over.

You ask almost anyone in the crowd who is the better musician and I bet most people are going to vote for person B. Simplicity wins.

A lot of musicians get caught up trying to impress other musicians by making thier music too complex or strange. In the process, they lose the everyday average non-musician listener. I don't make music to prove how awesome I am or that I'm better than other musicians. I make music because I have no other choice. It's in my soul...

first we are talking about musician, then 'traditional' -vs- "electronic" and now "great" musician...

first of all the best musician is yet to be born and if you are the best today someone is looking to take over tomorrow. lets understand that first.

the reason for the questions was to guage the skill levels of the posters in this thread. the OP asked "who is a musician"? in order to answer that question we needed to define what a musician is...

as far as simple and/or complex music, most individuals like there music 4 to the floor/striaght forward (simple) but there are some who likes odd time signatures (complex) some who likes both. like you stated there are some who can not undestand complex music and do not know what they are listening to. complex music is just like beer, one is not born with the taste for beer. they learn to enjoy it, just like complex music.

personally, i do not like to play the same type of music every single gig. sometime i like to go deep inside "my" soul (too) to see what is there. simple music does not do it for me (personally). give me some odd time signature funky stuff and i am set.

neverenoughfunk said:
i hope i did not imply odd time signatures are a "guarantee" for complex music but most complex music is in a odd meter.
you did. sort of. Like you're still doing with that post. :p
Complex is also kind of a relative term. Something can be so "complex" that's beyond enjoyable. Of course, one could always try to convince oneself of how much of a genius the composer might be, if only for the fact of how much brilliant he must be to be able to convince some people that the aural garbage he is trying to spread around could be considered being music...
:monkey:

Last edited:
Sqito said:
you did. sort of. Like you're still doing with that post. :p
Complex is also kind of a relative term. Something can be so "complex" that's beyond enjoyable. Of course, one could always try to convince oneself of how much of a genius the composer might be, if only for the fact of how much brilliant he must be to be able to convince some people that the aural garbage he is trying to spread around could get any attention...

if you could point out where i indicated that "odd time signature" guarantees complex music that would be great. i do not think i wrote that because the only thing guaranteed is death and taxes.

could you give us a list of these composers that have convinced there listeners that he/she is a genius.

that is the first time i have heard that one. a matter of fact that sounds pretty deep there.

the first time i heard "romantic warrior" by return to forever i thought what type of sh!t is that but as i grew musically the better is sounded. today it is in my top ten albums of all times.

oh, i forgot my monkey

If you define musician as someone who received training specifically, then I qualify as only a guitar player. I took lessons for a couple years to get good enough to read music & and teach myself new songs & theory. I recently took a college class on theory and have taught some more to myself, taught myself some piano...But why doesn't teaching yourself make you a "real" musician?

neverenoughfunk said:
the first time i heard "romantic warrior" by return to forever i thought what type of sh!t is that but as i grew musically the better is sounded. today it is in my top ten albums of all times.
You can grow up to enjoy good music you couldn't as a kid - like I hated classical music as a kid but really love e.g. Chopin or Tchaikovsky today.
But that's really beatiful music.
We have a library over here where you can lend old vinyls, CDs.. and trust me: I've had some terrible Jazz stuff which wasn't odd just because of it being in an odd time signature. I would rather listen to a CD with recordings of random car accidents as to the full playtime of one of those. Maybe I'm just not ready for that, I don't know. What I know is that I like to be entertained by music. And the entertainment those records offered was close to smashing my head against a wall repeatedly.

oh, i forgot my monkey

there it is. :D

Sqito said:
You can grow up to enjoy good music you couldn't as a kid - like I hated classical music as a kid but really love e.g. Chopin or Tchaikovsky today.
But that's really beatiful music.
We have a library over here where you can lend old vinyls, CDs.. and trust me: I've had some terrible Jazz stuff which wasn't odd just because of it being in an odd time signature. I would rather listen to a CD with recordings of random car accidents as to the full playtime of one of those. Maybe I'm just not ready for that, I don't know. What I know is that I like to be entertained by music. And the entertainment those records offered was close to smashing my head against a wall repeatedly.

there it is. :D

please name some of these artists you are talking about.

i would love to give them a listen to.

are you the type that if pete rock/jusblaze would sample these records (you can not stand) would you think they are the joint then?

what happen to you pointing out the guarantee thing?

could not find it? :cry:

i do not think i said that anyways.

here is the monkey :victory:

out of all these musicians are anyone of you guys/gals in the union? NO

what type of crowds have you played before (50, 100, 1000, 10000)? 1000 - 5000

what is the biggest venu have you played? Kennedy Center Washington DC - London and Paris

could you entertain a group of people for 45 minutes with your skills? Yes....i do it often at wedding receiptions

if an artist called you to the stage would you be able to sit in? Yes indeed

if an artist called to a studio could you play something in 11/4? Yeppers

do you know how to read charts (reading charts is different reading music)? Of course it easier than reading music

can you write charts? yep...all you have to do is know your chord symbols

can you transpose songs to other keys? Yes

can you create arrangments? Yes

do you know the different between a bosa nova, shuffle, bebop, swing, etc? Yeah

neverenoughfunk said:
are you the type that if pete rock/jusblaze would sample these records (you can not stand) would you think they are the joint then?
I don't care about what Pete Rock or JusBlaze do.
I've sampled some one-shot or short phrases off of some of those records, though, myself. Although the "music" was terrible, they had some sax solos e.g. with some sample-worthy notes here'n'there. Of course always just skipping all the garbageness inbetween.

Last edited:
neverenoughfunk said:
about 11/4 thing i have a show with gary granger (the basses) tonite where we are playing 2 11/4 pieces. allan hollworth will be on guitar.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying 11/4 is unlikely to yield something good, but the beat would nevertheless jump out at any musician as something they had to stay aware of. Sometimes odd time signatures don't even guarantee music that's odd sounding (side note: I don't care about whether it makes something difficult or complex, I know that wasn't your point). If I think of a song in 5/4, some math metal in that time is really hard to wrap your head around, but "Take 5" by Dave Brubeck is extremely groovy. I never even noticed the song was in an odd time until someone told me, and then I still had to check it (Oh! That's what the "5" is about! I just realized that!). Soundgarden is another great example, a lot of their music is in odd times but it still always seems "groovy". I've always chalked it up to how well the drummer can make the odd time sound like 4/4 or 3/4.

Ugh... I forgot what else I was going to say. Oh well, back to work!

neverenoughfunk said:
out of all these musicians are anyone of you guys/gals in the union?
NO

what type of crowds have you played before (50, 100, 1000, 10000)?
tens of thousands

what is the biggest venu have you played?
jazz in the park

could you entertain a group of people for 45 minutes with your skills?
yes i have

if an artist called you to the stage would you be able to sit in?
as long as i have a chord chart

if an artist called to a studio could you play something in 11/4?
lol...i'm not sure if i would want to play for an artist doing something in 11/4 unless it sounded hot.

do you know how to read charts (reading charts is different reading music)?
yep

can you write charts?
that's usually how i remember everything

can you transpose songs to other keys?
yep, even though i hate it (like when i'm writing big band arrangements)

can you create arrangments?
yep

do you know the different between a bosa nova, shuffle, bebop, swing, etc?
yes and it's spelled bossa nova

???? not sure what you mean by that

good questions by the way

I'm a producer...but if someone were to ask me if I actually play any instruments I would tell them that I'm self taught on the piano.

But if someone were to ask me if I was a pianist, I would say no, because that isn't what I do. You won't find me in a band playing piano, you won't find me being paid to play on stage by myself.

Could I do it? Oh hell yes. I can play piano better than almost everyone I've ever heard play piano in person. But in the genre of music production that I'm in, it doesn't call for that type of skill to that extreme. If I were to go all out on the piano it probably wouldn't be as appealing as what I normally do with my music.

But it you do want to hear some of the skill I have on the piano check out "Tell Me" and "Not Guilty" on my myspace page.

Like I said...I don't call myself a pianist or a musician for that matter. Those sound like careers or something someone does for a living. I'm not a beatmaker either...music producer is my title.

(I just posted 25 new instrumentals no one has ever heard today. Check them out if you want on my myspace.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back