Does FP have real musicians?

What the hell are ya'll talking about.

You playing the instrument IS training.

LOL. Don't diss yourself. Long as you're not 2 finger hoppin it around a tune.

Sure Hendrix didnt have what I guess is called *formal training* but guess what..

He didn't play like that soon as he touched the guitar. Charlie Parker, Eric Dolphy, and Coltrane all self taught, and they put in their 11-16hrs of practice on the instrument as well. Practice not only limited to

*instrument you are playing* VOL I SCALES AND ARPEGGIOS

No. Alot of the jazz guys picked up violin books and played from em, learned recordings of the radio etc.

Its moreso an attitude than a physical teacher in front of you.

If you're serious with your instrument. EVERYBODY is your teacher.

braggin time!!!

lol naw.. good looks on the mention JBlack

been playin keys forever, picked up bass,

that's it...

ive been playing the violin for 5 years, guitar for 4 years, and i used to play the piano for a couple of years...

I think the term training generally involves more than one person and some sort of teaching, while practicing denotes one person learning something on their own.

i can play some instruments but never gig or play as career,
Believe me it's peacefully good here that there'rent musicians around much.
This place can be flamingly hot with those egoistic .

Last edited:
Canei said:
seems to be alot of musicians on here. I wonder how many people incorporate these skills in their beats. Cause i hear alot of straight samples on here. Might not be none of these people tho. I do play Keys and a little bit of drums and guitar. havent played either of those in a while tho cause i dont own them. But i played the keys on "American Gangster" the title track on Jay Z's album. And on some other stuff too. But i can play much better than you hear on anything i've done so far.
where are these straight samples? most everything i hear are keyboard based tracks.

i play sax been doin that for 13 years. piano for 5 years and most of other instruments u learned as requirements for my music ed degree

PlanetHitzProduction said:
What the hell are ya'll talking about.

LOL. Don't diss yourself. Long as you're not 2 finger hoppin it around a tune.

Sure Hendrix didnt have what I guess is called *formal training* but guess what..

He didn't play like that soon as he touched the guitar. Charlie Parker, Eric Dolphy, and Coltrane all self taught, and they put in their 11-16hrs of practice on the instrument as well. Practice not only limited to

*instrument you are playing* VOL I SCALES AND ARPEGGIOS

No. Alot of the jazz guys picked up violin books and played from em, learned recordings of the radio etc.

Its moreso an attitude than a physical teacher in front of you.

If you're serious with your instrument. EVERYBODY is your teacher.

yes, jimi hendrix did not get formal training but he comes from a musical family. his father was a working musician.

what is a musician?

i use to think you had to play a traditional instrument to be a musician but a dj with itunes djing a party is musician. a turntablist is a musician.

anyone who prepares music for others to listen/enjoy is a musician.

I can read music, and play alomost anything by ear... but I just cant do both at the ame time...lol...

I think if i had formal training it would take away from my production...

I can play all four saxophones....But i'm best with the tenor...and the soprano is a close second.

I could probably pick up any other woodwind in a day.

Last edited:
I_m an alto and tenor saxaphonist, I played in college for a yr then got out of college and i still play in church and occasionally in my friends jazzband when they need me I'm not a professional but i can improv pretty good. I want to learn piano next even though im 25 im very dedicated when it comes to music and will do what it takes to learn.

MuSickJunKeyz said:
ok we seem to have missed what i said...i gave a definition then a disclaimer that if it didn't apply to you don't get offended and move on.

but let me clarify:
a pianist
a bassist
a saxophonist
a guitarist
...something you had to get training for.
On a scale of 1 to 10 judging myself:

Software/DAWs - 8
Rythm/lead Guitar - 3
Bass - 5
Violin/String Section - 8(but who needs a violinist?)
Organ -4
Grand Piano - 5(by ear - 7)
Live Drums - 3-4(no coordination, 10 if multitracking).
MPC/Drum Machine - 5(10 at my prime, but I don't use it anymore).
Keyboard workstation - 7

None of that sh*t is rocket science. Now...what's the point of this thread again?

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
On a scale of 1 to 10 judging myself:

Software/DAWs - 8
Rythm/lead Guitar - 3
Bass - 5
Violin/String Section - 8(but who needs a violinist?)
Organ -4
Grand Piano - 5(by ear - 7)
Live Drums - 3-4(no coordination, 10 if multitracking).
MPC/Drum Machine - 5(10 at my prime, but I don't use it anymore).
Keyboard workstation - 7

None of that sh*t is rocket science. Now...what's the point of this thread again?

the same point as other threads, to find out something. i wanted to find out who plays an instrument for real.

neverenoughfunk said:
a dj with itunes djing a party is musician

dead wrong. you cannot tell me a guy who operates a glorified stereo is a musician.

as for me, i play the drums, guitar and keys, and i (attempt to) sing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a saxophonist (mainly tenor - but sometimes alto) can play piano a bit but more than just simple melodies and can play decent bass aswell. I can read music and understand theory

uNDefineD said:
dead wrong. you cannot tell me a guy who operates a glorified stereo is a musician.

most scholars will teach that anyone who prepares music for an individuals enjoyment is a musician. it was a hard pill to swallow when i first heard this. i was taught in order to be a musician one had to pay thier dues but not in today enviroment.

now, what separates different musicians is skill level, a decent musician compared to great to beinginning.

dr. choi at rutgers univerisity here in new jersey teaches that an individual who creates a cd for his/her friends to enjoy is a musician.

it is just like todays producers, when i think of a producer i think of quincy jones or jam/terry lewis and not an individual with a mpc, software and hardware in thier basement.

times have changed and are still changing.

neverenoughfunk said:
dr. choi at rutgers univerisity here in new jersey teaches that an individual who creates a cd for his/her friends to enjoy is a musician.

then dr. choi at rutgers university in new jersey is a total wackjob. it's simple: a musician is someone who plays a musical instrument. a stereo is not a musical instrument. nero burning rom is not a musical instrument.

uNDefineD said:
then dr. choi at rutgers university in new jersey is a total wackjob. it's simple: a musician is someone who plays a musical instrument. a stereo is not a musical instrument. nero burning rom is not a musical instrument.

actually, dr choi is a great musician/composer.

again, if one owns a mpc, software and/or hardward is he or she a "producer"?

if one takes a sample/loop and add drums to it is he/she a song writer/composer? yes.

if one uses a mouse to write music is he/she a song writer/composer? yes.

i forgot the artist name but he did a show where he just sat a the piano for 3 minutes without playing a note and the name of the song was silence, is that really music? yes, because a rest is very musical.

we live in a different world now. basically, anything goes.

no disrepect but i have much respect for dr. choi, God for bid if dr choi passed away today "you" would not be a better musician in a billion years.

i say that because calling him a wackjob is a little over the top.

just disagree with his opinions and call it a day.

Back