do you think keyshia cole can make a comeback?

Both Day26 and Danity Kane had potential to be huge. The problem is that artists who go under Diddy only serve one purpose; to enhance the Diddy brand.

That's exactly right. And you have to KNOW that going in, so that you can use the experience in the Diddy Limelight for all it's worth.

Aubrey ALMOST did that. But I'm sure that Diddy Paper Jail had her locked in tight.

YOU HAVE TO CLEARLY DEFINE AN ARTISTS IMAGE FROM THE BEGINNING, SO THAT THEY HAVE A CLEARLY DEFINED CAREER GROWTH PATH. Otherwise they'll hit a brick wall.

BAM!

I agree sir

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Both Day26 and Danity Kane had potential to be huge. The problem is that artists who go under Diddy only serve one purpose; to enhance the Diddy brand.

yeh man day 26 and danity kane had the potential to be something big

oh yeh, whatever happened to the pussycat dolls?

the real question is can R&B make a comeback at large commercially

Change the word 'commercially' to 'Top 40 Mainstream' because its currently alive exclusively in the Urban A/C category only and for now its still viable because your average 38 year old african-american female is still purchasing the album format but its mostly from legacy artists (ex-Monica) so the need for fresh blood (talent AND sound) is crucial for its long term survival. What R&B need is a 2012 version of 'Uptempo Soul' that can keep the young girls moving without having to sell all the way out to the EDM format.

Back in the days we had what you can call 'uptempo soul' joints like this:

Danity Kane actually went platinum I think and they were doing good or at least I thought they were but as you stated when dealing with Diddy you have to know the deal and then he drug that other girl along and finally let her go and kept Dawn.

I know it's hard to think it won't happen to me but I'd been trying to stack what ever paper I was making and networking with other people so when the inevitable happens with Diddy you'd have you some connections already in the works but then again. Diddy would probably try to have you black listed

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

That's exactly right. And you have to KNOW that going in, so that you can use the experience in the Diddy Limelight for all it's worth.

Aubrey ALMOST did that. But I'm sure that Diddy Paper Jail had her locked in tight.
:cheers: LOL
Didn't she have her own reality show? Diddy has the knack for finding talent and you'll probably even have some hits with the guy but it's almost like you're a transformer or gi joe toy, once he gets bored with you he tosses you in the box and puts you in the attic

I can't prove it but I have to believe he made it so Danity Kane couldn't continue. I was seeing their videos on tv and even local radio was those chicks. They should have been able to continue on at another label I would think. I think Diddy kept Dawn because she had song writing skills

Change the word 'commercially' to 'Top 40 Mainstream' because its currently alive exclusively in the Urban A/C category only and for now its still viable because your average 38 year old african-american female is still purchasing the album format but its mostly from legacy artists (ex-Monica) so the need for fresh blood (talent AND sound) is crucial for its long term survival. What R&B need is a 2012 version of 'Uptempo Soul' that can keep the young girls moving without having to sell all the way out to the EDM format.

Every time i hear joints like you posted i think "Why don't we have more of that in R&B" It seems like its either singers gettin rappers to feature on their song, and the track is more Hip Hop, or Dance influenced. I'd love to hear those mid tempo 95-105 bpm records with dope chord progressions, and harmonies again. it's gotta be possible lol

You are absolutely right sir, I wonder how many cats in this thread are gon catch that jewel you jus dropped. On another note, I think another point in the conversation we haven't touched on is; what defines 'R&B' as a sound and a genre? I've heard some cats call Chris Brown, Rihanna, Trey Songz and even Drake 'R&B', while some people deny them as R&B artists and say that artists like Brandy and Monica do 'R&B'. So in a nutshell, is an artist defined as 'R&B' because of their talent? Or is it because of the subject matters their lyrics deal with? Or is it because they have a particular production style? I don't have the answers but hopefully this can lead to some

You are absolutely right sir, I wonder how many cats in this thread are gon catch that jewel you jus dropped. On another note, I think another point in the conversation we haven't touched on is; what defines 'R&B' as a sound and a genre? I've heard some cats call Chris Brown, Rihanna, Trey Songz and even Drake 'R&B', while some people deny them as R&B artists and say that artists like Brandy and Monica do 'R&B'. So in a nutshell, is an artist defined as 'R&B' because of their talent? Or is it because of the subject matters their lyrics deal with? Or is it because they have a particular production style? I don't have the answers but hopefully this can lead to some

What defines an artist as R&B to me has to do with the song lyrics(content and how it's presented), instruments used, bpm and chord progressions. Their songs tend to have a story in them for me and also a few uptempo to liven up the mood as no one wants to hear a whole album talking about missing someone or making love to them ex-std R&B BoyzIIMen - End of the Road ex-uptempo BoyZIIMen - Motown Philly. I guess that kind of blends them into the pop genre also but the album tends to go some place, like have a start, middle point and end. New Edition for example. Check out NE HeartBreak track list. It's like that album told a story.

Artist tend to cross into different genre but genres today are also a bit confusing.
Country for instance. Taylor Swift is considered Country but I consider her Pop all day long. Saw her at the VMA's and that's probably the best I"ve seen her look and looked like she had something up top but the song was still about some ex bf. She made a smart decision going country but actually singing pop. It kept her from having to compete with people like Christina, Britney, Katy Perry, Gaga and Beyonce.

Ok I'm sort of rambling and haven't had my morning coffee...

Good posts RealKapone and Daps

We're in the era of 'genre-flipping' and 'genre-bending' as most mainstream artists can flip around from pop, electronic, R&B, hip hop, rock and any combination of two or more. The days of mainstream artists dominating the charts releasing only 1 genre specific sound straight through (example - Usher/Confessions album) is just about done.

Back