do you think keyshia cole can make a comeback?

JAMESRRTT

I don't think so....Its almost like after you get pregnant you get washed up

also not feelin her new single

I also asked some of my homies what think and they said she's washed up too.....but she can still get It(If you know what I mean).....lol

she has a reality show coming up on bet soon......I guess she thinks that'll get her buzz back

Keyshia Cole returns with another BET reality show ‘Family First’ | Radio & TV Talk

I think she should just try to do movies because It's over for her music wise

what do you guys think?

I don't know what her last album numbers are, so I'm not really sure if she ever fell off. But if so, the reality show is the new comeback tool.

Everyone is only one hit away...again.

Keyshia Cole's problems are the same ones she's had for her ENTIRE career. But only now are they starting to cause her SERIOUS PROBLEMS.

Keyshia's suffering from an IDENTITY CRISIS. It was very clear (at least to me) that when she first came out, nobody sat down and planned out what her career identity would be. Her songs were all over the place. Her look was all over the place. Her sound got increasingly lazy over time, as if they weren't putting any effort into it.

At various points throughout her career, her image/music has been:

Young/Hip/Edgy
Grown/Sophisticated
Princess/Royalty
Downright Ghetto
Baby Mama
In Love Love Love
Bitter and Broken Hearted

This is her problem right now. All of her albums have sounded like poor rehashes of the ones before it. Her albums haven't had a cohesive theme, and her image has gone from one extreme to the other, and back again.

Now she's at a cross roads. People are tired of the same old song done different ways. Problem is Keyshia Cole's team never thought about what her career image was going to be, and now they are stuck with trying to define one for her now, after she's already inadvertently established one.

Early on in her career, she had the chance to be the next coming of Mary J. Blige. Her first single positioned her perfectly for that. And the market was wide open, because that Young Edgy RnB female spot that MJB (and later, Ciara) vacated had yet to be filled. But her team dropped the ball with a lack of planning.

So now she's lost. She doesn't have a sound, she doesn't have an identity. She doesn't have any direction.

If she doesn't get someone on her team that realizes this and can steer the ship in the right direction, she's a goner.

Funny thing...Trey Songz is approaching that exact same cross roads. There's backlash with this album. People are sick of hearing him whine about pussy, and sing about the club. So he's losing steam, and he has to have a major reinvention in order to keep growing.

But the one thing Trey has going for him is a very clearly defined image. He's the young, sex crooner. And he can put his career on cruise control and stay in that lane if he so chooses, because of the pre-planning that Troy Taylor (and team) did at the onset of Trey's career.

R.Kelly reached this same place around his 3rd/4th album. But R.Kelly reinvented himself. He came with "I Believe I Can Fly" which gave him access to Celine Dion's fanbase. And then he got YOUNGER with his KELLZ and PIED PIPER persona's (much like Jay did when he declared himself YOUNG HOVA).

YOU HAVE TO CLEARLY DEFINE AN ARTISTS IMAGE FROM THE BEGINNING, SO THAT THEY HAVE A CLEARLY DEFINED CAREER GROWTH PATH. Otherwise they'll hit a brick wall.

Everyone is only one hit away...again.

Keyshia Cole's problems are the same ones she's had for her ENTIRE career. But only now are they starting to cause her SERIOUS PROBLEMS.

Keyshia's suffering from an IDENTITY CRISIS. It was very clear (at least to me) that when she first came out, nobody sat down and planned out what her career identity would be. Her songs were all over the place. Her look was all over the place. Her sound got increasingly lazy over time, as if they weren't putting any effort into it.

At various points throughout her career, her image/music has been:

Young/Hip/Edgy
Grown/Sophisticated
Princess/Royalty
Downright Ghetto
Baby Mama
In Love Love Love
Bitter and Broken Hearted

This is her problem right now. All of her albums have sounded like poor rehashes of the ones before it. Her albums haven't had a cohesive theme, and her image has gone from one extreme to the other, and back again.

Now she's at a cross roads. People are tired of the same old song done different ways. Problem is Keyshia Cole's team never thought about what her career image was going to be, and now they are stuck with trying to define one for her now, after she's already inadvertently established one.

Early on in her career, she had the chance to be the next coming of Mary J. Blige. Her first single positioned her perfectly for that. And the market was wide open, because that Young Edgy RnB female spot that MJB (and later, Ciara) vacated had yet to be filled. But her team dropped the ball with a lack of planning.

So now she's lost. She doesn't have a sound, she doesn't have an identity. She doesn't have any direction.

If she doesn't get someone on her team that realizes this and can steer the ship in the right direction, she's a goner.

Funny thing...Trey Songz is approaching that exact same cross roads. There's backlash with this album. People are sick of hearing him whine about pussy, and sing about the club. So he's losing steam, and he has to have a major reinvention in order to keep growing.

But the one thing Trey has going for him is a very clearly defined image. He's the young, sex crooner. And he can put his career on cruise control and stay in that lane if he so chooses, because of the pre-planning that Troy Taylor (and team) did at the onset of Trey's career.

R.Kelly reached this same place around his 3rd/4th album. But R.Kelly reinvented himself. He came with "I Believe I Can Fly" which gave him access to Celine Dion's fanbase. And then he got YOUNGER with his KELLZ and PIED PIPER persona's (much like Jay did when he declared himself YOUNG HOVA).

YOU HAVE TO CLEARLY DEFINE AN ARTISTS IMAGE FROM THE BEGINNING, SO THAT THEY HAVE A CLEARLY DEFINED CAREER GROWTH PATH. Otherwise they'll hit a brick wall.

great insight

do you think her music career will fail?

and if so, do you think she should continue to make music for the little bit of fans that she has left or go into other ventures?

or just do them both

great insight

do you think her music career will fail?

and if so, do you think she should continue to make music for the little bit of fans that she has left or go into other ventures?

or just do them both

I answered that.

If someone on her team doesn't REDEFINE her image and her sound, and make sure every aspect of her existence supports that defined image, then her career will sputter to a halt. She'll get dropped from her record label, release like 2 independent albums (that don't do anything), and fade into bolivian.

It won't be cost effective for her to continue making music, because her fans won't have a way of finding out she has new records out. She'll lose major media if she loses her deal, and it's clear that her team doesn't really know how to steer her ship. They are letting her songs guide her career, and that's the ass backwards way to go about doing it. Her career needs to lead her songs.

Her best bet (outside of the above mentioned) is to continue doing reality TV. Because Frankie and Neffie are train wrecks, and people will love to keep seeing them implode week after week.

I almost guarantee that she's going to be on some type of music related reality show within the next 2 years.

She most definitely can, she has the talent to make great music, but I doubt it'll happen. She probably won't ever be as poppin as she was when she first came out, and I mostly blame that on the state of R&B today. It's almost like that market has disappeared. You have singers wanting to be rappers, crossing over into dubstep, etc. a lot of attention has diverged from the R&B scene...the quality records, anyway. What troup said about having the idenity crisis is true too, but I think that goes for artists in general these days.

I almost guarantee that she's going to be on some type of music related reality show within the next 2 years.

this is also what I think sir

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 AM ----------

She most definitely can, she has the talent to make great music, but I doubt it'll happen. She probably won't ever be as poppin as she was when she first came out, and I mostly blame that on the state of R&B today. It's almost like that market has disappeared. You have singers wanting to be rappers, crossing over into dubstep, etc. a lot of attention has diverged from the R&B scene...the quality records, anyway. What troup said about having the idenity crisis is true too, but I think that goes for artists in general these days.

this.

I agree sir, r&b is a dead genre in 2012

The ho-hos were belting this song at the club this past weekend....caught me off guard lol...so it might have some legs on it...not a bad song...I don't know anybody that buys albums though so I can't tell you how she'll do.

Depends on if she can get at least a hit or some club song.

I just think the R&B music scene is in disarray at the moment. R Kelly is about the only one that I care to hear when the radio plays
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing groups come back along the lines of Dru Hill, Jodeci, etc.

Depends on if she can get at least a hit or some club song.

I just think the R&B music scene is in disarray at the moment. R Kelly is about the only one that I care to hear when the radio plays
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing groups come back along the lines of Dru Hill, Jodeci, etc.

The market is ripe for Boy Bands to make a comeback. Especially black boy bands.

Problem is, it really isn't financially feasible to field an R&B group...unless they are gonna stay on tour 300 days a year.

The market is ripe for Boy Bands to make a comeback. Especially black boy bands.

Problem is, it really isn't financially feasible to field an R&B group...unless they are gonna stay on tour 300 days a year.

I agree and then you always seem to have the one lead singer that leaves and that's that but I'm with you on the markets ripe. Just leave out that all those rapper guest appearances.

I think not. Word around town is that it takes her a couple million takes to make a song. Beyond talent issues, like what some cats said before she has more image issues than a 13 yr old girl lol. Like Daps said, the real question is can R&B make a comeback at large commercially. Alot of cats passin rap, dubstep and pop off as 'R&B', R&B is KILLIN in the underground scene though

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

I take it back, neo soul is. R&B is extinct lol

I agree for the most part but what about mindless behavior

Mindless Behavior is making an okay impact. Boy Bands can come back, but they have to operate under 2012 rules, as far as marketing, release management, etc.

They are still operating under the 1995 way of doing business.

I think not. Word around town is that it takes her a couple million takes to make a song. Beyond talent issues, like what some cats said before she has more image issues than a 13 yr old girl lol. Like Daps said, the real question is can R&B make a comeback at large commercially. Alot of cats passin rap, dubstep and pop off as 'R&B', R&B is KILLIN in the underground scene though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYbzxE9ZjRI
---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I take it back, neo soul is. R&B is extinct lol

So you're saying she can't get it right in a few takes?

Yeah too many R&B guys want to be rappers.

I thought Day 26(Making the Band) guys where pretty good and was going to bring back that R&B sound from the mid to late 90's but I think Diddy was more interested in him being on TV also I think that the stigma of being a reality tv show group probably had something to do with it also

but back to KC it depends on if she really wants it and material she's given but you really have to have your own style and have people wanting to hear your stuff. If she puts something out she'll probably sell some records but I'm not sure she'll be nothing more than a ghost note in the grand scheme of things at this point. Like troup pointed out she had the chance to be a Mary J but she didn't know what type of artist she wanted to be or her handlers didn't know

Last edited:

BAM!

Both Day26 and Danity Kane had potential to be huge. The problem is that artists who go under Diddy only serve one purpose; to enhance the Diddy brand.

Back