Do you start with keys or drums?

Wellington V

Do you begin a beat with drums or keys? Just wondering because I think staring with the drums makes mixing easier. Thanks

I usually start with drums, which is a bit of an old habit from sequencing MIDI hardware where the first sequencer track has priority in regard to timing output....of course it's somewhat irreverent with virtual instruments now, but then there is still the issue of latency accumulating with every subsequent track.

I almost always start with the melodic elements now days. It's easier for me to hear the melody and imagine the drums, than hear the drums and imagine the melody.

It really depends on the type of song I'm trying to make. For like a trap type beat I usually start with that then the 808s just to get that hard trap sound first. Or if I'm trying to make R&B I'll start with the chords first to make sure it feels right. Every song is different so I don't really have a formula I just go for it

i start with the melody and sub melody, then drum, then vocal then sub bass, for me make melody before and adjust drum after are easier than adjust melody to drum

Always different. Sometimes i start with the Drums, sometimes with Instruments.
Do whatever you like and start experimenting.
There are no rules how to start a Beat. Dont try to always do the same procedure.... be creative and open for new things.

I find it easier to get an idea in my head by thinking of a melody, but laying down the beat can be faster

I start with the drums, by choosing the samples, doing the proper layering on kicks and snares, and making a basic pattern based on the style I've chosen (amen break on drum and bass, the half-tempo drums of dubstep, or a 4 on the floor pattern for industrial), and then start working on the intro.

I mess around with something that I think is catchy then build up each piece from there and add FX and stabs last before starting mixing and mastering.

I used to start with the drum pattern, but now I prefer to get my main melody and chords going, and play the drums with the beat like that.

Today I started a new song just by playing a flute melody. Fun part now to find the best chords for it :)
Take a look at a lot of the ABBA chords. It´s pretty obvious that they started with the melody. As the chords are so different.
Super Trooper is an example.

Last edited:
Back