Do producers like Harry Fraud need to pay to use their samples?

Whitelexluger

I noticed in alot of Harry Fraud's beats (E.g Bird on a Wire, Leaving the dock) The beat is basically another song barely cahnged with different drums added. Do you think he needs to pay the original artist of the sample to use it? Or does it not violate copyright

if he has made money or is still making money then he would be a fool not to have a release from the rights owner (not necessarily the group/artist that recorded the track)

If a label notices, you are already getting more money than you are getting sued for. Like, they are just going to want a piece of your cake

that is so naive - depending on how much the sample is recognisable you may lose all money you have earned using the sample - 'The Verve' had to do that for "Bitter sweet symphony" - giving 100% to Richards and Jagger of the Rolling Stones. Something similar is going down with "The Harlem Shake" right now. Same thing happened to George Harrison with "My Sweet Lord", with a court finding that he lifted "He's So Fine" - no sample, just ruled that he stole the melody and harmony completely.

Yeah Fraudy uses a lot of "well known" samples at times. I mean some stuff is pretty obscure but i've heard him sample a lot of new stuff too. "Only for a Night" by french montana. "Going in 4 the kill" French Montana are ones that stand out in my mind. Even songs like "Shot Caller" he was going for the obvious with that sample. I'm assuming he dosen't pay for the clearances and let's the artist with all the $$$ do that but who knows? It's something i've wondered about as well.

It could be that those songs were used on just free mixtapes and therefore since no direct money was being made off the product it wasn't technically wrong. Curren$y and Wiz use to use samples all the time in their early mixtapes but it's slowly starting to change to where they can't do that because people are realizing that even though the mixtape was free, they are getting major show money off of those free releases.

Last edited:
@brodel34: you know this for fact?
@SunRa: it never pays to assume that because it is what happened in the past it is what is happening now. Artists and labels are much more savvy about these things than they used to be and even low-profile artists and creators are not taking the chance of getting caught sampling without a licence - the penalties are no longer restricted to monetary gains but are now targeting property purchased with the proceeds as well - i.e. it does not matter if you don't have the cash - we'll take your house and your car and your fancy suits.....

@Bandcoach.. Well Fraudy isn't driving fancy cars, nor does he maintain a super over the top home.. Soo.. how's he clearing his samples? the question was never answered. My post was all speculation I no nothing for sure..

Last edited:
Back