Do People Want Change?

megaman0808

Sometimes I get really annoyed when I see other people complaining about today's music and then make exactly whats popular right now or even worse old sounding outdated music. I still believe that most music was better in the past for unbiased reasons, but that doesn't mean that the solution is to rehash every 90s style beats or make an 80s sounding instrumental. What hip hop/rnb need now is innovation and diversity, maybe even separation. There are so many leeches in this over-saturated marked we need artists with purpose. You don't have to be all political/eccentric if that's not your style, but give us a reason we should buy your music; what sets you apart from every other artist musically? And please Only do it if you truly LOVE doing it and plan of making music that makes you feel something.

I don't care if you make your mediocre beats in 5 minutes or if you are a totally cool guy to hang out with or about your "awesome" and "swag" image or if you are on a tv-show.

If you dream of becoming the next Quincy Jones, Dr. Dre, Lex Luger or Kanye West Throw your Laptop with Fl installed on it out your window we don't need more imitators. You should dream of becoming the "next you".

I'm trying to reach out to the people who may love the good old days but aren't creatively crippled by nostalgia and want progress. If you truly have an unique and interesting style you will be successful.

It might sound naive but i really believe good new music can save the mainstream music industry, but seem like people are too close minded the indie music sounds like slightly cheaper version of mainstream music.

But plenty of people have said the same thing that I am saying now over and over. Makes me wonder if people even want good music anymore. I'm tired of dumb novelty music (not all music today is bad but if you don't like one style you're mostly screwed cuz of no diversity) but others love it. Does it even matter if I complain and what is the solution to getting innovation and diversity back music?

Feel free to reply, add your thoughts about this or scrutinize and disagree if you want. Just needed to vent. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I agree with your sentiment.
The good thing is that it is a lot easier to make music and have people hear it these days. So its easier for that good music to get out and be heard.
But that good stuff is overshadowed by the piles of people making music nowadays who will make whatever they think they can lease for $20. The quickest way to the sound that sells is the only goal.
No inspiration other than the payoff...

And I dont mean to shit on anyone "grindin", trying to make a living.
Its not a terrible thing, its just a different thing.

On your other point, about saving the industry, and people wanting to hear it, Im not so sure.
At this point "Rap Music" is just another flavor of pop. It is a machine that the masses run.
And the masses want bullshit, for sure. They love it.:p

But that good stuff is overshadowed by the piles of people making music nowadays who will make whatever they think they can lease for $20. The quickest way to the sound that sells is the only goal.
No inspiration other than the payoff...

And I dont mean to shit on anyone "grindin", trying to make a living.
Its not a terrible thing, its just a different thing.

I like the grind. Selling music is really the only reason to become a musician.

There are as many motivations as there are people making music.

At this point, if I were to ever be able to make music on a large scale, it would be for people to enjoy as much as I would enjoy my music and as much as I enjoy some music from other people.

Music is about other people enjoying I believe, at its very core. Reason why Yeezus was not liked by many people. Reason why people enjoy some music that some of us qualify as "noise".

People want change but there's too much money being pumped into the anti-change.

People want change but there's too much money being pumped into the anti-change.

I think most people think they want change, but they really don't. It's cool to be a rebel and most people rebel in word only and never back up with actions. They just want to appear to those around them that they've made an impact, a change without actually doing anything. As much as they may think they want change they're complacent and comfortable. They don't want change they want an image

^^^At this point, that's a lie debunked by numbers. More people do the cookie cut trend of the day pop, but the artists topping any chart currently aren't as easily bundled with "current popular sound".

Radio Songs : Page 1 | Billboard

Billboard 200 : Page 1 | Billboard

We call ourselves producers, and are too busy whining about "trap beats" and "cookie cut pop" to realize only the innovative are able to survive right now.

Consumers question the quality of music, but we as musicians are too busy focusing anymosity towards guys "in the spotlight" for a week who we convinced ourselves are winning. The guy you hate for making mediocre music this week will be in an unemployment line in a month.

It's too easy to download an album. GOOD MUSIC SELLS. B.S. Music get's played. There's a difference.

music's gonna be music, the bizz is gonna be the bizz

yes I want change, change in my pockets, change in my own situation.

I'm gonna keep it real, I don't listen to a lot of music. In fact, I never have listened to a lot of music. It's not that I don't enjoy music or that I'm tired of this type of music or that type music, because like I said, I never really listened to much of it anyway. I pretty much just listen to it when I need to listen to it and I've always done my own thing anyway so what other people do, musically, doesn't really impact me unless they're doing something that makes what I'm doing more acceptable. Case in point, Jay-Z just released a new album a couple of days ago, and did it in a new way. Now look at what I was saying in this thread like two months ago:

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...make-money-album-sales-339088/2/#post49623144

Jay-Z doing what he just did does nothing but make it that much easier for my team and I to do what we're doing. It simply opens up the doors for even more serious discussion. I say in order to be innovative, you need to be forward thinking, need to utilize disruptive technology, should have a solid grasp of where society is going culturally and need to properly identify your pillars and stick to them.

So, when I sat down and started laying the foundation for my album, I asked myself "what do rap fans really want out of an album?" So I gathered as much info as possible and there were three very specific things that keep popping up. It didn't matter if I talked to someone, read an article or a blog, or participated in a forum, they kept popping up over and over so I said I'm going to make my album and focus specifically on those three key things. I already had the technology blueprint down, I just needed a way to implement it in a way that would make sense to my target audience.

I know I won't be able to reach certain demographics, I'm not worried about them, but I think if someone doesn't like it they'll most likely be thrown off by the style of music, not the project itself, but it'll create a situation where rap fans, and music fans in general, are put in a position to be truthful with what they say they've been wanting all these years. When it comes to change it has to be a gradual process that happens over time. Why? Because people are resistant to change because it takes them out of their comfort zone and puts them in unfamiliar places. This is basic psychology and sociology at work here, so I think if more artists looked at it from that perspective then the landscape of the biz would be different.

In closing, if you see something you don't like why not make/take the appropriate steps to change it?

Last edited:
^^^That's so simple it's genius. Hope more artists catch on instead of thinking every here today gone tomorrow artist with a cookie cut sound is winning.

There's a difference between being the next Jay-Z, Bruno Mars, or(even though I don't like his new shyt)Kanye and being the next Ca$h Out, Y.C. or Young Scooter. But when ratchet hoes twerk this week to that shyt, you wanna be in those instant success shoes(until next week when them same hoes like "who sung that song?".

Artist don't sell music anymore, they sell seats.

You do what you have to to sell seats. Seats cost more than $0.99 that's why most music is free. Get booked somewhere and sell CD's and T-Shirts there.

People still go to shows, they aren't buying tickets either - they're buying the experience.

People better learn what's really being sold and try to tap into it. You could probably go to a Riff Raff show and have the time of your life, nobody pays attention to the music much and that's why rappers can just sing along to their own song and nobody cares. People show up for the party aspect that's why party songs will always rule in Hip Hop. It's why Juicy J and Snoop are still on stage and all of the Mos Def's, Rakim's, etc... are just in headphones.

Last edited:
"Party" hiphop used to be all sorts of shit not even made to be a "Party" record though. Now it's like everything is made for Strip clubs. Big Poppa is slow tempo but that shit would pack the dance floor when it came on. Not exactly a prototypical party song. Its like shit would be a hit without even trying to be a hit. That shit is no longer the truth.

Artist don't sell music anymore, they sell seats.

You do what you have to to sell seats. Seats cost more than $0.99 that's why most music is free. Get booked somewhere and sell CD's and T-Shirts there.

People still go to shows, they aren't buying tickets either - they're buying the experience.

People better learn what's really being sold and try to tap into it. You could probably go to a Riff Raff show and have the time of your life, nobody pays attention to the music much and that's why rappers can just sing along to their own song and nobody cares. People show up for the party aspect that's why party songs will always rule in Hip Hop. It's why Juicy J and Snoop are still on stage and all of the Mos Def's, Rakim's, etc... are just in headphones.

in translation

"i want to make shitty autotune music will it be accepted"

the answer is no

goodbye

The music change has changed. We need more soul and love in the music.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Music is big business and driven by money.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

It's all about who has the power to put out music. Start there.

"Party" hiphop used to be all sorts of shit not even made to be a "Party" record though. Now it's like everything is made for Strip clubs. Big Poppa is slow tempo but that shit would pack the dance floor when it came on. Not exactly a prototypical party song. Its like shit would be a hit without even trying to be a hit. That shit is no longer the truth.

Unfortunately, the Hip Hop fan has changed and no longer could Big Poppa pack a dance floor. If something like it came on, it means drink break now.

If the song doesn't include the words "back it up and dump it" the dancefloor gets no love.

Yup and this continues to prove that people are getting dumber.

Unfortunately, the Hip Hop fan has changed and no longer could Big Poppa pack a dance floor. If something like it came on, it means drink break now.

If the song doesn't include the words "back it up and dump it" the dancefloor gets no love.

Back