DJs That Just Press Play

Actually that's wrong...

People who go to festivals want to hear new music that hasn't been heard. Why pay good money to go hear tracks everyone else can hear at home? It's about the experience, but the experience should be all about a great environment, fun DJs, and new music with a hint of old good tunes.

Brian
this right here

I've been doing mobile DJing for around four years (while I also scratch and mix as a side-hobby when I'm not simply just producing my own music), and I've done this at least over 100 different gigs so I'm going to try and talk through experience.

While it is true that for a good portion of the show you are just pressing play when it comes to audio, you have to make up for that with performance. You don't simply go to a show, set up your equipment, put up a playlist, play it, and just stare at the audience hoping they like. You have to read the crowd in order to get a feel for what they want to listen to. And, yes, for the most part they want to hear songs they already know.

However, what this method might lack in audio-centered creativity, good mobile DJs need to make up for it in performance. Since all attention is not paid towards beat matching and mixing, most of it goes to the audience -- almost like a concert. You play a song they recognize, they freak out, you "perform" to it while they dance to it.

There really is SOME effort that goes into it. To press play and just stare at the audience while they stare at you is the absolute worst thing any type of DJ can do.

I feel if someone is paying for a performance, they should receive a performance. Pre-planning/pre-recording a set is not only limiting yourself in the performance aspect, it can also be a major problem if the crowd is not reacting positively to your music. The ability to read the crowd and adjust your set on the fly will differentiate good DJ's from poor DJ's.

I think thats an elitist perspective , disdain for the current jump in technology , outside of that , end product and crowd response makes the dj.

Back