DJs That Just Press Play

But in a festival environment, people just want to hear hits. They dont want to be taken on a journey, they want to hear what they know and can sing/dance along to.

But in a festival environment, people just want to hear hits. They dont want to be taken on a journey, they want to hear what they know and can sing/dance along to.

Actually that's wrong...

People who go to festivals want to hear new music that hasn't been heard. Why pay good money to go hear tracks everyone else can hear at home? It's about the experience, but the experience should be all about a great environment, fun DJs, and new music with a hint of old good tunes.

Brian

There is a large amount of people that want to just hear hits, but people that want to be taken on a journey will respect that more

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

*will respect not just hearing hits more

interesting article but pressing a button is to easy for people to stop its to much of a challenege to compete with someone who puts on a show like deadmaus or guetta

Theres a balance to it and it depends on the environment. If its a ghetto house party, yes, people will only want to hear their favs, but if it is an actual show where people are thizzed outa their minds, then a journey is better.

This is my definition of a DJ from my 30 years of experience

If you spun Vinyl or CDJ for a while and then switch over to a controller of some sort, you are still a DJ because your roots started on a Disc.

If you never touched Vinyl or a CDJ for that matter, as good as you may be, I would define you as a "music remixer but not a DJ. It's not an insult to anyone, it's just the way it is. We all don't press play and I don't think the up movement of a Genre should redefine what a Disc Jockey is. A disk Jockey plays discs (vinyl or CD) that's where the name came from. A DJ may use a computer is some capacity, but if it were to "go down" A "real" DJ would have no issues with using CDs or Vinyl.

the art of djing is dieing out, but given all the new technology if djs are using it to their full advantage and creating these new insane mix's i'm all for it, but if they're just using it to mix one song into another that could easily be done on a pair of turntables then i think its just plain lazy.

the art of djing is dieing out, but given all the new technology if djs are using it to their full advantage and creating these new insane mix's i'm all for it, but if they're just using it to mix one song into another that could easily be done on a pair of turntables then i think its just plain lazy.

This may even make you more disappointed. Many of the "Million Dollar Dj's" don't even "push buttons" live (non the less spin)! They said something about the show, I think? The reason why I want to see a live show is I want to see it "Raw". I don't want to see an "ultra polished" Mixed set. I want the element of "danger" and "excitement". It's almost the equivalent of an recording artist "Lip Syncing"!

Absolutely and it needs to be repeated! Back in the day if you were DJIng and just ran a tape recording of a premade mix for your gig you got dogged out by your friends and anybody who knew. I even saw DJs getting fired or losing gigs because of stuff like that!

That's an extremely interesting article.. I've been DJing at a local club for a while now, and I know it's not a festival and I'm not a famous DJ, but most of the crowd dont appreciate new songs... they all want to hear stuff they know... I try and add some new tracks in between the usual stuff, but usually it will take a couple of weeks of them hearing it to get into it :/

"We all hit play," begins the entry. "It's no secret. When it comes to 'live' performance of EDM . . . that's about the most it seems you can do anyway." Deadmau5 continues to say that given one hour of instruction and basic knowledge of the music production program Ableton, anyone could do what he does on stage. He further explains his live setup, revealing the heavy data transfers in sync with the light show only allow him a certain limited flexibility. "There's a good chunk of MIDI [Musical Instrument Digital Interface] data spitting out as well to a handful of synths and crap that are / were used in the actual produciton . . . which i can tweak *live* and whatnot . . . but doesnt give me a lot of 'lookit me im Jimi Hendrix check out this solo' stuff, because I'm constrained to work on a set timeline because of the SMPTE [Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers timestamp]."

Read more: Deadmau5 Clarifies 'Press Play' Comments About Fellow DJs | Music News | Rolling Stone
"We all hit play," begins the entry. "It's no secret. When it comes to 'live' performance of EDM . . . that's about the most it seems you can do anyway." Deadmau5 continues to say that given one hour of instruction and basic knowledge of the music production program Ableton, anyone could do what he does on stage. He further explains his live setup, revealing the heavy data transfers in sync with the light show only allow him a certain limited flexibility. "There's a good chunk of MIDI [Musical Instrument Digital Interface] data spitting out as well to a handful of synths and crap that are / were used in the actual produciton . . . which i can tweak *live* and whatnot . . . but doesnt give me a lot of 'lookit me im Jimi Hendrix check out this solo' stuff, because I'm constrained to work on a set timeline because of the SMPTE [Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers timestamp]."

Read more: Deadmau5 Clarifies 'Press Play' Comments About Fellow DJs | Music News | Rolling Stone
I carefully read the Deadmau entry and when he said "We all press play" he was not referring to us, but the other "big time" EDM Producers. But, it further clarifies that they are NOT DJing live but entertaining their crowd with live production performances (nothing wrong with that). The only confusion I see is why they even bother to call themselves Djs (those who do) when I believe being a "Producer or Electronic musician" has more swagg to it. If I end up doing exactly what they're doing I would call myself a "music artist". I would compare what the big EDM Artist do closer to 80's electro rock/synth bands which never did and never cared to call themselves DJs. The name "Electronic Musician" sounds very cool to me and that's how I would present myself in their situation.

BUT:

If the Artist/Electronic Musician started out as a DJ and wanted to keep that name for "brand" reasons, that's different. A perfect example would be if Deadmau5 could perform on turntables like "DJ Jazzy Jeff" or "Mix Master Mike", then I would call Deadmau5 a DJ because he has proven to be gifted as a DJ, even though he chooses to use other tools to perform.

This is a very great time for "Electronic Musicians". After 20 years the Electronia market has finally peaked. But, let's not forget about those pioneers like Depeche Mode, Prince, Yazoo, Peter Gabriel, Faithless, Kraftwerk, etc. They had been "banging out" this Electro Disco stuff for YEARS and they did it during a time when the general public wanted a more "acoustic" flavor.

These days it doesn't even matter if you have talent or not, these days the dj scene is full of so many 'djs' who can't mix or scratch with out the sync button or the the bpm display if their life depended on it..It's all about promo now and the 'fans' you have on your page..all club owners care about how many people you can bring, throw talent out the door..sad situation.

Back