DJ Quik frustrated with the 'new industry'....

Another OG frustrated by the fact that it ain't the good ol days no more. meh.

Well at least he can say he ate well back in the day.

There are no damn secrets. I hate when people claim "i have secrets" please. If he's that worried about pay.. he can hold a workshop somewhere, people pay for that shit all the time.

$200, $500,$1000 at the door per registration. They are held all the time by industry professionals

Last edited:
The Steve Jobs biography is eye opening.

It reminded me of myself. Things I somehow lost. But I'm glad I've read it. I can only recommend it.

The power of the mind is incredible. What we can achieve by just believing and doing man...there's no limits.

I've read the article several times now and it's still the same thing. If he walks away the industry won't change. If he walks away someone else will take his seat behind the console. If he walks away people will go to others for production. You either adapt or you get your lunch ate. This ain't rocket ****in science but humanity 101.

The Steve Jobs biography is eye opening.

It reminded me of myself. Things I somehow lost. But I'm glad I've read it. I can only recommend it.

The power of the mind is incredible. What we can achieve by just believing and doing man...there's no limits.

That's the one with his face on the cover right?

I have it but haven't had a chance to read it.

That's the one with his face on the cover right?

I have it but haven't had a chance to read it.

Yea man. Has like 600 pages. I read up to that part about him dropping out of college. He perfectly displays that non-conformist personality. Life's too short to die before you die.

if i didnt need to make music like that i'd do just like Quik, why waste time adapting at 40? lol he aint out here hurting bad for money and needs to do it. Its just observations from a person who was making records for large amounts of money to now not only not making a lot of money but being asked to do things for free.

You cant adjust to that, and why would you? its harder for somebody like me to adjust to that when i saw unknown producers getting 3-5 racks per beat back in 06 all the way up till about 2009. To now where not only do they not want to pay you but look at you crazy for wanting to get paid.

Why adjust to a system thats built to make you fail? lol this producer business the way its built right now is all for everybody to fail.

And before people come and rush and tell me im bitter or dont get work, go cop pre order this Tamar Braxton christmas album for the kid Tamar Braxton - Winter Loversland - Only at Target : Target

You have to talk and deal with people and companies that appreciate what you do. Rappers just dont lol, a lot of people in the rap industry dont care or give a fuk bout you lol

So what does being 40 have to do with anything when he is complaining about a service he provides? This business 101. You adapt or you get left behind. Don't believe it? Ask the major labels why Apple has a large market share. Ask MS and Yahoo why Google is at the top. Ask Blockbuster why Netflix is winning. You adapt or perish. This is BUSINESS 101. If companies like Netflix and Apple can adapt, and they're companies playing at a higher level, then surely a musician who isn't tied down by regulations and shareholders can survive the change in climate. **** excuses. With change comes opportunity. Adapt.

So what does being 40 have to do with anything when he is complaining about a service he provides? This business 101. You adapt or you get left behind. Don't believe it? Ask the major labels why Apple has a large market share. Ask MS and Yahoo why Google is at the top. Ask Blockbuster why Netflix is winning. You adapt or perish. This is BUSINESS 101. If companies like Netflix and Apple can adapt, and they're companies playing at a higher level, then surely a musician who isn't tied down by regulations and shareholders can survive the change in climate. **** excuses. With change comes opportunity. Adapt.

lol i dont see anything as complaining what he's stating is fact, you can ask any music making professional all the complaints are the same even from the "successful" guys who have adapted to the business model. If companies like Netflix and Apple can adapt then why cant a musician lol? Who said a musician cant adapt and just doesnt want to. Why would you honestly want to come from making 100k a beat and adapt to an industry that tries to force you to give away your music for free? Why is he the bad guy here? do you guys really mean to say that?

its so funny watching producers turn on other producers who are just trying to set you up for success and bring things to light from a different perspective. But naw, hes just old and bitter and couldnt. I just wish you guys would be more honest and say "yea things are bad but we dont know how to do anything about it and cant stand up for ourselves so we call it adapting to the climate of the industry" lol

not everybody is old and bitter, theres a reason why the biggest music producers in the industry make the least amount of their money off actual music. They adapted to the business and now dont even make music lol

the slave mentality of the new age producer is funny.

I understand that technology and the fact that every artist releases music for free has ruined our value but jesus lol. I'm curious how much further are you going to adapt? What are you guys doing to make sure youre able to make a living? I used to be that guy, on these forums you can search. Telling all the old niggas to get with the times and go and do all these things to make money so i wouldnt have to rely on cheap crappy artists to pay me

then i realized sometimes its not about making money with them, its the overall principle of literally watching something that you could feed a family off of for a couple years with one song to now being worthless.. our music is worthless everything youre doing right now is worthless. Go to a label right now with beats and theyll laugh at you, every second that passes by your music is becoming more and more crap

what you gonna say lol you gonna place things on TV and Video Games and commercials? lol even those dudes dont pay the same because music is worthless, of course the money is still good, but thats perspective of a young dude trying to get established, not a vet that has a family established off of music checks.

But yea you right. Old folks get in line.. just give your music away like the rest of us GOSH.. dont you want deez placements dawg?!?

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/...heft-auto-v-used-his-songs-without-permission - I mean Come on Daz you old ass nigga, get with the times.. i know Grand Theft Auto broke every record for a video game and made almost billions worth of revenue.. and they only gonna give you 4k.. BUT COME ON LOOK AT ALL THE PROMOTION YOU CAN USE IT TO LAUNCH YOUR OWN CAMPAIGN RIGHT... right? lol

Adapt lol

Last edited:
lol i dont see anything as complaining what he's stating is fact, you can ask any music making professional all the complaints are the same even from the "successful" guys who have adapted to the business model.

He's stating/expressing how he is dissatisfied with the flow of money, young artists, etc. He is complaining. What you seem to be confusing is the word "complaint" with "whining." Some will say he is whining, that is subjective, but what isn't subjective is the fact he's complaining. The article supports this with certain statements and so does any dictionary at your disposal. In addition, it seems you don't understand the word adapt but we'll get to that later.

If companies like Netflix and Apple can adapt then why cant a musician lol? Who said a musician cant adapt and just doesnt want to.

Please rephrase this.

Why would you honestly want to come from making 100k a beat and adapt to an industry that tries to force you to give away your music for free? Why is he the bad guy here? do you guys really mean to say that?

You're confusing adapt with conform.
Adapt - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

to change your behavior so that it is easier to live in a particular place or situation

Conform - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

to do what other people do : to behave in a way that is accepted by most people

its so funny watching producers turn on other producers who are just trying to set you up for success and bring things to light from a different perspective. But naw, hes just old and bitter and couldnt. I just wish you guys would be more honest and say "yea things are bad but we dont know how to do anything about it and cant stand up for ourselves so we call it adapting to the climate of the industry" lol

I've said nothing about the guy being old and bitter. In fact, in one of my previous replies I asked what his age had to do with anything. It has nothing to do with it. And who is saying things are bad? What is bad to him may be a slice of heaven to the next cat, so I'm not going to sit here and say things are bad when I'm working on my craft, putting 100% in and seeing results.

not everybody is old and bitter, theres a reason why the biggest music producers in the industry make the least amount of their money off actual music. They adapted to the business and now dont even make music lol

I didn't say everyone was old and bitter. In fact, you can throw age out the window because in reality this has nothing to do with age.

the slave mentality of the new age producer is funny.

I don't know if this was directed at me personally but I'm not a "new age producer" and, if I had the slave mentality, I wouldn't have developed a tech and business model to be licensed to music companies.

I understand that technology and the fact that every artist releases music for free has ruined our value but jesus lol. I'm curious how much further are you going to adapt?

How much further depends on the person and their ability to create and utilize what is known as disruptive technology or disruptive innovation.

What are you guys doing to make sure youre able to make a living? I used to be that guy, on these forums you can search. Telling all the old niggas to get with the times and go and do all these things to make money so i wouldnt have to rely on cheap crappy artists to pay me

I've shed some light on what I'm doing in these forums. I've shed some in this very thread. I developed a model and distribution method to be licensed out. Best case scenario is the tech gets licensed out to labels and you see a return of real producers and artist development. Worst case scenario means I'm playing in this area and controlling this specific market share for four to six years. I had to adapt. After seeing that no one I helped out was going to return the favor, by seeing that people were scary and weak as water, I had to adapt, say **** it, look at the industry and come up with something that would be a win win for me.

then i realized sometimes its not about making money with them, its the overall principle of literally watching something that you could feed a family off of for a couple years with one song to now being worthless.. our music is worthless everything youre doing right now is worthless. Go to a label right now with beats and theyll laugh at you, every second that passes by your music is becoming more and more crap

I wouldn't be stupid enough to go to a label with beats. I'd understand their needs, where they are lacking, potential growth areas, etc and then I'd go with something they could invest in and allow them to see ROI very quickly.

what you gonna say lol you gonna place things on TV and Video Games and commercials? lol even those dudes dont pay the same because music is worthless, of course the money is still good, but thats perspective of a young dude trying to get established, not a vet that has a family established off of music checks.

Music isn't worthless. Just ask Apple if it's worthless. They're seeing quarterlies in the billion dollar range. Hell nah it ain't worthless, lol.

But yea you right. Old folks get in line.. just give your music away like the rest of us GOSH.. dont you want deez placements dawg?!?

Again, you're confusing adapting with conformity. I'm not suggesting he give ANYTHING away for free. I'm saying he needs to change his business model and company culture or align himself with people who have a similar company culture. In other words...adapt.

Daz Dillinger Says "Grand Theft Auto V" Used His Songs Without Permission | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX - I mean Come on Daz you old ass nigga, get with the times.. i know Grand Theft Auto broke every record for a video game and made almost billions worth of revenue.. and they only gonna give you 4k.. BUT COME ON LOOK AT ALL THE PROMOTION YOU CAN USE IT TO LAUNCH YOUR OWN CAMPAIGN RIGHT... right? lol

Adapt lol

Again, you're confusing two different things here. Netflix was able to adapt to a changing market by doing what? Developing original content. Apple was able to adapt to the mobile market by doing what? Developing new iPhones and services associated with them. Dr. Dre was able to adapt to the mp3 craze by doing what? Making earphones. Ancillary goods and services, co-branding, etc. You adapt. Instead what does Quik do? He takes a MAJOR selling point off his resume and decides its best to throw in the towel. Well **** it, if that's what you wanna do Quik so be it.

And the shit with Daz was dead wrong.

In closing, I'm not saying anyone should give away anything for free. If you made it, or provide a service, and you want to charge for it then you charge for it. What I'm saying is to be innovative and create new ways to make money. What's that word again? Oh yeah, adapt.

Last edited:
not everything i wrote was directed at you just the overall feeling of the thread.

we might use the term adapt, but often times you really mean conform. It all depends on how you look at it. If every one is being forced to adapt what makes that different than conforming to things just being the way they are. Why does a producer with accolades have to adapt to an industry that still demands his services.

maybe this is how he is going to "adapt" to this new industry by taking off a service that hes not even being paid for by up and comers. And what im saying is its not about "making money" making money is the least part of it, its about where is the respect for the craft. The money doesnt match the struggle, getting paid not only takes long but at least back then you know you were getting a check, thats what i mean by its worthless

Apple doesnt view it worthless because Apple is the only person making money, Spotify is taking over the game and the musicians and artist dont get shit for it.

So you cant really "adapt" in an industry that views you as worthless. Yes you can find different ways to hustle up and make money, maybe turn something in to a legitimate business. But all in all if you want to do what you came into this industry doing and loving, you have to "Conform" to the way business is done

I'm a producer and a keyboard player thats all i ever wanted to be, i didnt wanna be a drumkit maker, or a sample replayer, or working with Synth design companies or any of that, i've derailed off my true path to adapt and make money. And thats all fine i would rather do that than work in an office 9-5. But guess what if i want a big placement i have to conform and play to the game or else i'm not going to get work.

The industry budget has changed but this is relevant only in hip hop culture. Other Genres still make plenty of money because of the standard set. A lot of people miss the point. Basically what he's saying is the industry has been devauled. Most people dont care about that until they figure out the career they wanted will be short lived and for peanuts. When the market is devauled everyone becomes an X factor. If you act stupid I will replace you with the next X. People are selling beats 20 for $10 with exclusive rights and mixing and mastering tracks for pennies but just throwing an Ozone preset on. Most people dont understand a few things. You dont see people building damn houses that cost them 100k and selling them for 15 grand. Nor does Bentely care about the price of Honda Accords. You get paid for being the best point blank period in all areas of life. A Harvard graduate should get paid more than a high school graduate. Half of the ignorant comments on here stem from a lack of understanding and those dumb ass ways of thinking. You selling all them beats to smoke and buy some Jordans.

It may be true that not everything you wrote was directed at me but you chose to address my premise so we're here now. :)

I'm using the term in the correct sense and provided examples of companies who adapted, not conformed, and still made money. Everyone is not being forced to adapt but those who do have a better chance of making money. Why does a producer have to adapt? It's business 101. Why did million dollar studios have to adapt to the change in the recording scene? Why did companies who make hardware have to enter the software market? You adapt because someone comes in with disruptive tech or because the demands and needs of the market have changed. It's nothing personal just business.

maybe this is how he is going to "adapt" to this new industry by taking off a service that hes not even being paid for by up and comers. And what im saying is its not about "making money" making money is the least part of it, its about where is the respect for the craft. The money doesnt match the struggle, getting paid not only takes long but at least back then you know you were getting a check, thats what i mean by its worthless

So if up and comers aren't paying for the service guess what? Don't deal with those up and comers who don't have the budget for your services. You attach your name to it, you attach your history and accolades to it and you charge those who do have a budget. Whatever you do, you don't yank something like that off your resumé.

As for respect for the craft, again, he has to align himself with people who think and do business that way.

Concerning Apple, they get 68%-75% of paid music downloads. Amazon is #2. Why do you have Spotify? Because the creators of it saw a market with growth potential. They knew they couldn't compete with Apple or Amazon so they went another route. Again, it boils back to finding, creating new revenue streams or leveraging your skills and assets so you can still compete. That's all adapting is, bro.

Does the industry view Dre as worthless? How about Timbaland? Things change. Things went from records, to 8 tracks to cassettes, to cd's to something that you can't even physically see. Things went from reel to reel to hard disk recording (pc and mac included.) You don't have to conform to the way business is done. You can say **** the way you guys are doing business and do business the way you want. Apple? They have the market share they do in music downloads because they didn't conform to the way business is done. Spotify is growing because they didn't conform to the popular business model established by iTunes.

I'm a producer and a keyboard player thats all i ever wanted to be, i didnt wanna be a drumkit maker, or a sample replayer, or working with Synth design companies or any of that, i've derailed off my true path to adapt and make money. And thats all fine i would rather do that than work in an office 9-5. But guess what if i want a big placement i have to conform and play to the game or else i'm not going to get work.

Bro, I understand what you mean by this. I've been in a very similar predicament so I know exactly where you are coming from. However, I said **** it and started doing my own thing. I had people telling me my tracks were "too musical" and I had to dumb things down. So I dumbed things down, more work came but people also started to want more and more free shit because they were used to getting free shit from people who sold dumbed down tracks for $10. A certain mentality came with all of this. Now mind you, before my pages went down I tossed up a couple of free beats just so I could hear what different people were coming with but I made it clear why I was doing it and made it perfectly clear that I didn't do leases. So I understand what you're saying but all of that, and then some, motivated me to do my own thing.

Last edited:
The thing is that you can't really sell anything digital because people will put it up for free in a few days.

So if he does a mixing course, it'll be on Youtube, Vimeo, and about 500 other places eventually.

The internet is a level playing field - almost.

... plus, there are some good video's that have "knowledge" in them that are out there for free.

Maybe those guys should've started their own independent labels or something.

Last edited:
He is old.

Any trade secret he knows can be found on Google or Youtube in a few minutes.

The game is to be sold, not to be told.

You're nuts, internet is full of shit. Valuable informations cannot be found there.

Your post was disrespectfull as **** to Quik, since hes been making top class music from the beggining of his career till now, and you could read all that has been said about music on the internet and you still wouldnt touch knowledge that a person like Quik can have.

For the record, i dont care much about Quik, like some of his songs - not like im a big fan defendin him.

Back