Disliking your own work.

Not really...but I don't listen to my old stuff, that helps...hahah. I'm pretty sure it sounds terrible now.

The moment I get fed up with what I'm making is when I quit making music for a while. If I'm not inspired, then nobody is going to be and the whole excercise becomes pointless. I'll conciously start looking for inspiration in other places. Eventually that'll drive me back to music. The only issue with that is that I tend to make batches of tracks that'll be completely different from the last or next ones. But as long as the next one is better than the last one, I'm fine with that.

Absolutely all the time...I begin to dislike tracks before I've even finished them which is really bad as I never actually finish anything!
From reading some of these comments I think it's important to just persevere with it and complete each track even if you're not 100% satisfied...as someone said, someone else may like it.

Have you ever been in a situation where you released a song, and went back to listen to it some time later only to cringe? I'm not just talking thinking "meh, it could be better", but honest dislike.

I'm just wondering if i'm the only one dealing with this. Some people say it's normal to dislike your work on some level, but I feel like if I were to hear it coming from an other artist, I would still hate it.

yep

Absolutely all the time...I begin to dislike tracks before I've even finished them which is really bad as I never actually finish anything!
From reading some of these comments I think it's important to just persevere with it and complete each track even if you're not 100% satisfied...as someone said, someone else may like it.

Yes, finish no matter what. Not every track is going to be a hit. Just put in the work.

I actually dislike all my stuff. I play then listen over and over, feel my limits, record more to rebuild my lost confidence, play, listen, feel my... and so on. Stuck.

As everyone else notes, it's definitely a normal experience to have. Since each of us got into music-production with a good musical-taste we want our stuff to be as good as possible. The first time I make a track I cherish it because I worked so much on it. Even if I show it to some of my family and friends I try to justify stupid things I have done in the track and not let anyone critique it. HOWEVER, when I switch over to another project and work on that for a while and then go back to my initial one, I very much dislike what I have done. It's all about perspectives.

It's a common problem i guess, but for me it's always inspiration to work harder. And thats the way to take your skills to a higher level... So keep on going!!

One track I did long ago I put so much of myself into I nearly vomitted everytime I heard it for years. It is still an awesome track.

Some I originally hated I revisit later and go WOW that was awesome. And some of it is plain bad.

Everything changes, including the ears we watch with.

A lot of times, but if you get validation from someone else it helps... I always think my stuff is never quite there, but I recently signed a lot of my tracks to a prominent publishing company, and they haven't denied a track of mine yet 30+ tracks in, so I guess that means that my stuff is pretty good.

Back