Disliking your own work.

Yeah dude I do that too. Like they said means you're getting better if you still make the same stuff from 3 years ago something is wrong haha.

I have shit I absolutely hate that's on the list to be finished, because other people said they love it. I will probably never finish it because I dont like it as music to me is self expression. I think to myself, "how the ufck am I going to consider something I don't like a piece of my expression?" Same happens with other tracks that i've already put out. If there is something I don't like I just trash it even if its already on youtube or soundcloud. You grow every minute you work, eventually you'll develop a style that you'll always like... At least I like to think that.

My earliest tracks were awful :'(. I started recording as a means of getting down guitar ideas I'd been writing on guitar pro, but eventually the recording side took over more than the guitar and the guitar just became another instrument in a sea of sounds. So in hindsight, I cringe only really at the first crappy recordings I made, but since then every time I've hated my work it's been kind of bipolar, where I'll hate it, forget about it, revisit it with new ears and appreciate it a bit more and have a more critical and objective view than an emotional one

Give it a listen to your friends. Mostly they really say what they think and that's very helpfull when editing your track.

I feel where you're coming from. I use to think that too but I keep on producing and making more tracks and finally my skill has increased to where I think it's on a professional level. At least in my ears.

keep at it man, ! the tracks can only get better!

I'm pretty happy with the stuff I've been producing lately but I still produce tracks that sounded awesome while I was making them and then like two weeks later I'm like "what the hell is this whackness?" I did that like twice this month.

Its funny that I came upon this thread because I'm LITERALLY going through this right now as I type this. Going through my soundcloud like "Yea this needs to be deleted, I hate this". And I spent hours working on these, and got some plays and good feedback and what not, but to me, I don't like them. They could be cleaner. Better, have more depth. But like previous people say, we all eventually go through this. Artists in general, whether its music, painting, dancing, whatever, we all go through hard self criticism.

There are songs that I had spent hours upon hours on that I never finished because I spent so long in mixing and mastering that it just bothered me to even think about going back there. It's like eating the same type of food for a week straight that eating any more of it would make you vomit. It sucks because I loved the song at first but as it goes on, it is just super boring to listen to and lost its effect. I have even deleted a bunch of tracks from soundcloud because they're so bad but I love seeing how far I've come in like 2-3 years.

I have this same problem. I'd be listening to a track I have been working on and nearly finished and constantly thinking I'm doing things wrong or making it worse (started using save points just incase).

I think it comes from listening to the same thing OVER and OVER and OVER again. But think about it, there is 1000 ways you could've produced the song but you did it that way your hearing for a reason.

Best thing to reassure myself is i got a DJ/Producer friend to listen to it and give feedback. If they're telling you they like it show some friends/family to be even more happy with what you've done.

Title of this thread should be 'Does anyone actually like their own work'

I don't think anyone does... even skrillex must look at his tracks and think
'why are millions of people listening to this'
'All my tracks sound the same'
'I'll never be as good as Squarepusher'

That said, some artists get really arrogant and it shows in their music. Eminem is one, Squarepusher another, Mozart a third.

Title of this thread should be 'Does anyone actually like their own work'

I don't think anyone does... even skrillex must look at his tracks and think
'why are millions of people listening to this'
'All my tracks sound the same'
'I'll never be as good as Squarepusher'

That said, some artists get really arrogant and it shows in their music. Eminem is one, Squarepusher another, Mozart a third.

I don't think Skrillex thinks about "My tracks just sound the same". There are countless factors on why his tracks are like that. And one of them is money.

Well, everytime I listen to my older tracks, I recognize some good points, but most of all on how I have evolved over time.

I've been making music for a very long time now and I can honestly say only recently am I making music that I'm proud of and like myself.

There is so much to learn and your sound should always be improving so it's healthy if your old stuff makes you cringe a bit.

In a way mot being 100% happy with a song is what drives me to start making another one. If that makes sense.

I always have this problem. THis is why I'm constantly looking for a website where I can get a reliable second opinion or at least to see how it compares to other musicians out there.

That is true. I guess it is just because you get better, and start to hear sounds in a different way ! :)

i think that happens to everyone to an extent. im never 100% happy with the stuff i make but i love making it and improving, which makes it worthwhile. and every not and then you get a song youre kinda happy with after the fact and it feels great. but the cringing i get totally, especially showing it to people i know in real life.

Haha, yes most of the time! It feels like an on going cycle... When writing the song "I have peaked in creativity, i've never felt as optimistic about anything as this before" 2 years later "What the **** was i thinking"

Back