Disliking own tracks.

Reddux

Hello,
I am having some problems. When working on my tracks I find myself getting stuck and disliking what I am working on. I am wondering whether when I dislike my tracks in the middle of making them, should I ditch the track or keep going on it.

Thanks.

Thats a problem every music producer faces. Lol

Keep going but if you think you got a better idea save the one you was working on and lay down the foundations for that one!

Usually what happens to me is that I'll make a beat and love it and then I've heard the same loop 500 times during editing, I begin to dislike it.

That is why it's good to have multiple projects to work on, so you can work on something else once your brain gets tired of it.

Usually what happens to me is that I'll make a beat and love it and then I've heard the same loop 500 times during editing, I begin to dislike it.

That is why it's good to have multiple projects to work on, so you can work on something else once your brain gets tired of it.

This

I do admit this is foreign to me. The closest I can think of is working with average material and thinking 'the next thing I add is going to elevate this' so that keeps going until you have a full track that's rather...average.

I can also relate to making something and thinking it's the greatest thing I've ever done and later on or the next day hearing it and not being as impressed.
Some tracks are super hot in my ears and weeks/months later it's no longer as interesting.

BUT! How do you not like what you are working on?
I even get getting stuck- even if you're blind guessing and just throwing stuff on top of stuff- at any point you can back up, remove elements until you get back down to what was working.

If you created a drum track, what, do you not like it?
Or create a sound and melody....are you not feeling it from there?

How do you skip having a point you can strip back down to- to build up from?
And I've seen these comments and thoughts a lot on here so I know it's common.

At any rate, I think the advice to drop it and move on is best.
I can't see the point of (forcing yourself to keep) working on something you're not interested in working on.

Okay, thanks for all the help. I showed a track that I am disliking to one of my friends that I know would answer truthfully. He actually thought it was good, and said he would actually listen to it if it was on his Ipod. So I think I will take a break from the song and work on a remix. Again thanks for the replies, it really helps.

ask someone else how it sounds... that happened to me awhile back.. started on a track it was dope but it lost it's lust to me.. so i stopped.. one day i'm playing beats for my brother and that one came on and he fell in love with it.. i winded up finishing it and turning it into a beatmaking video of mines and it garnered mad views...

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you keep it. I had a few "throwaway" beats that I played for an artist recently, and he flipped out saying it was exactly what he had been searching for lol :victory:

I'd have to agree with Griffin on this one. I can't actually say that I dislike my own work, allthough I can get bored with them for the moment, and quite many times I go back and listen and compare my own work to some of my favorite tracks and feel humbled by how they manage to make so absolutely awesome music.

It's a gem you can use for later. Hold onto it & save it for later & work something else. It WILL come in handy down the road,lol.

I think the definition of a great loop is something you're still nodding your head to after those 500 times :)

But yeah, everyone will end up with a lot of not-so-great or not-so-great-yet stuff. I rarely actually completely ditch anything; I just start something else or work on another project. Sometimes the stuff you're completely sick of at a time will actually only reveal its true nature when you come back to it after a while.

yeah if i dont feel the track in general then i'll jus save it and start another track theres nothing wrong with going back and re writing a new song from scratch or just switchen drums or melodies an what not ' experiment is a big part of creating bro so if u dont like scratch it '

It's the same here Reddux! At first always sounds good to me,but then... the problem is that after 2-3 months that i listen to my finish tracks,my music still not good to me, even if many people told me that i did some great works. But,at least, i think is good,because that push you to do always your best!!!

Feeling the same problem too !

Taking hours for some stuff and then finally letting it go and disliking it.
or when I re-listen to some old stuff that I used to like and then thinking "damn that was crap!"

The feeling happens to me as well, and I usually just try to keep them and move on to a new beat and come back to them later. Sometimes, you'll never know that you want to go back to your disliked beat later!

My opinion on this is... If its good the first few plays, then its good (enough) & worth finishing. Seriously, FINISH THE TRACK. Just because you lost interest after the 500th play, doesn't mean the song isn't great. The thing as an upcoming producer that many of us seem to forget (Including myself, all the time) is that you're not going to make a "hit", by your standards every single time - AND THATS A GOOD THING. You always want to learn from each track you make, and progress, so at a certain point you're always going to want more.

The only thing I can suggest, is to try different styles of music you're creating. I was always a rock kind of guy, but when it came to producing I found myself more into making hip-hop tracks, as I can make them faster, and move on to the next, which keeps me from getting bored. I truly think any track, regardless of genre is going to get "old" after "X" amount of time working on it. Maybe work on getting tracks start to finish, faster.

You know why you dislike your tracks? Because probably it does suck... to you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you may think sucks is treasure to another person who listens to the track. Approach your music with an open mind. What are you trying to create?

I find I make tracks best when they're unpredictable. Maybe it's your workflow affecting how you make your beats?

If you dislike a beat, you can continue on and see how it goes. It may end up to be a masterpiece... a work of art. You can also dump it if you think it's not worth your time and work on something else that may be of more worth to you.

My whole point is that there are many ways to approach your question. There's never ONE way to do it in an artistic hobby/profession... but that didn't answer your question... did it? =P

You know why you dislike your tracks? Because probably it does suck... to you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you may think sucks is treasure to another person who listens to the track. Approach your music with an open mind. What are you trying to create?

I find I make tracks best when they're unpredictable. Maybe it's your workflow affecting how you make your beats?

If you dislike a beat, you can continue on and see how it goes. It may end up to be a masterpiece... a work of art. You can also dump it if you think it's not worth your time and work on something else that may be of more worth to you.

My whole point is that there are many ways to approach your question. There's never ONE way to do it in an artistic hobby/profession... but that didn't answer your question... did it? =P

AMEN! lol. Great advice/perspective.

Back