Creating Realistic Strings

I don't know - what chord(s) are currently playing? What specific role do you want the strings to have?

Im trying to play quick chords on the first beat or first two beats with that swell sound and then playing up the scale for the rest of the bar in a way to try and make it bright and happy,i have been learning 7ths as there meant to be good in this style, I will try and find an audio example if your confused thanks

I agree, the best sounding string recordings I have, have been with real string players (one of the benefits of being a student and having access to visiting orchestras and quartets specifically for readings and recordings), but most folks do not have the financial nor physical resources to do that sort of thing - hire string players and record them live - it is a very different approach and the cost structure is hellishly prohibitive

Wait, there is no need to make things look more complicated than they are. The cost structure is definitely not particularly prohibitive.

It's easy to find one or two half-way talented string players, record them with a typical vocal recording setup and do creative overdubbing. It's easy. Similar to vocal recording. I am not talking about the emulation of full orchestras, but even then, much more realistic results will much achieved much faster with 1,2,3 real musicians playing the real thing.

Check this album, all string (and several instruments) are real and recorded in a home studio: Positive Flow – Flow Lines | Tokyo Dawn Records

I see no reason why to discourage people to work on the real thing with real musician. It's a very valuable and satisfying experience for any producer.

Just a small advice, hope i'm not too offtopic, but if you wouldn't mind switching over to Propellerhead's Reason, you will find a huge Orchester Soundbank with all kinds of thoroughly recorded Instruments, al cut and arranged in a sampler, so you can play them with your midi keyboard. Sounds like a professional orchestra, where these sounds also have been taken from ! ;)

Greetings !

Thanks for the shoutout! You can actually get it this month for $50 off and get a FREE iRig KEYS MIDI controller + any other IK VI for free. We are running a Magnum V.I. Group Buy right now for iRig KEYS. Every 500 people in we give out another free IK VI, so if you are looking for a REAL string library compared to the built in sounds of your DAW, now is the time to check out it. We have a thread in the IK Section of the forums here too: https://www.futureproducers.com/for...g-keys-get-2-free-virtual-instruments-439768/

Rock With You-Michael Jackson - YouTube the strings that come in at the start around the 15-20 second area how the strings has that back and fourth part you can hear then goes up higher after that, i think my chord structure is lacking in mine making them duller? I have been using string sound banks and applying effects and such for better results, the only way i can get my strings to kind of have the sound im looking for is playing different string tracks with an appegiator on them to try and get that quick back and fourth sound i dont think this is the correct way though. such a tune that one the guitar is so nice any help on that would be cool to

Ok, this is a scale run up from D[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup] in the key of D[sup]b[/sup]: D[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]-E[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]-F[sub]4[/sub]-G[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]-A[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]-B[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]-A[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub] followed by F[sub]4[/sub]-G[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]-A[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]-B[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]-A[sup]b[/sup][sub]4[/sub]. The line is doubled an octave above, i.e. octave number 5 instead of 4.

caveat about octave numbers
Middle C = MIDI note number 60 = C[sub]3[/sub] in most daws = C[sub]5[/sub] in Fl

Back