Could you score a movie if given the oppotunity?

Even movies like Inception and Batman are made in programs/computers.

On Inception, some of the cues had over 2,000 (you read that right) individual channels.
Had to be pre-mixed in "stems", to make it possible to run in on three 192 channel HD systems. No, you can't do that on an MPC (hardware sequencer) or tape (direct printing).

You have to understand, that at Zimmer's place, there are 20-25 COMPOSERS working at any given time, all of them having their individual rigs AND still able to access the main servers (sample libraries) via network. The logistics for this whole network isn't some off-the-shelf standard stuff. It's basically all custom written/edited software.

I was watching a Hans Zimmer video the other day and was surprised but at the same time glad to see that he sits in his little room with a few keyboard/synthesisers, all of his monitors, watches the movie and plays around with sounds just like a regular bedroom beatmaker would do lol.

A "regular bedroom beatmaker" hasn't composed dozens of film scores and doesn't work with world-class composers and sound designers for decades.
Zimmer had always the newest gear. In fact that's the reason why he took off in Hollywood, because he not only had the gear, but also understood it. He was the first who was able to take complex scores and transcribe them to MIDI, so that "previews" of the orchestrated parts could be heard by the director before hiring a $200,000/8 hour block orchestra.

Not to mention that he has a network big enough to (for example) find one of the two guys in the world, who own and can play some ancient string instrument from Turkey, or to find on of the few who could create a 64bit sampler for him (and his libraries, where often a single instrument for a section needs 15-20GB of RAM), the moment 64bit OSs were available.

Always at the front of technology, most of the times, pushing technology beyond the status quo.

Of course the guy knows how to write/compose music so the process is a little bit more advanced but overall it was cool to see that he embraces technology.

In the early years, Zimmer didn't read music. He picked it up as he went along. He could play keys, sure, but he wasn't a classically trained musician with a degree in composing (most of the people working for him do have these degrees and often already studied at some prestigious schools, when most of us didn't finish high school yet).

What's really important is that all these people REALLY love MUSIC. They don't work with cliches and stereotypes, so if his next score had to be an early-90s Hip Hop sound, you can bet your ass on it sounding that way. Classical, techno, ambient/chill out, ethnic instruments, you name it.....they'll be able to deliver it.

These guys are LEVELS above someone who's a hip hop producer doing a hip hop beat for a commercial that needs some stereotypical hip hop music.

But it's worth learning that shit, because basically if you can score movies/write music for TV shows, you can probably do anything in any genre........and that ability isn't learned by finding a nice snare sample in FL Studio. It takes a bit more learning, but it's worth it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rza did that shit with Ghost Dog.

I just saw something on twitter about Flying Lotus scoring and indie film.

Why not start small with what you have and try it with a film genre you're interested in. It doesnt have to be straight Hans Zimmer out the gate. Practice with some shit you already like. I did...

Last edited:
Flying Lotus is getting his own radio station on GTA 5.

When that new movie comes out in 2024 called "THE RISE AND FALL OF THE BEDROOM PRODUCER"......their will be people who can make beats like you all do in 2013....yet add humor and emotions to your style. It's going to be a smash........on some Bill and Ted shit. I'm writing it now. I need some professionals who can make beats like a bedroom producer with dreams. I need the white kid who wants to be Dr.Dre type beat. I need the black dude who is 20 years old with 6 kids and has a win 98 computer who makes Lex type beats. I need the guitar player who actually thinks he is the next Hendrix but he's not type of score. I need the top ranking internet hustler's type of beat.....that sounds sorta like what's on the radio but not quite there type beats. I need that old man like Rice who goes all out of the box on some weird shit and expects it to be a hit but it's just too weird even though it sounds good type of beat. I need that old guy who makes R&B with spanish guitar sounds on a Motif who complains that R&B sucked in 2013 and they are the savior of it. That sampling producer with the chops that cut off and leave a popping noise at the end..............

YES!!! That's perfect! Thank you Hans!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Flying Lotus is getting his own radio station on GTA 5.

When that new movie comes out in 2024 called "THE RISE AND FALL OF THE BEDROOM PRODUCER"......their will be people who can make beats like you all do in 2013....yet add humor and emotions to your style. It's going to be a smash........on some Bill and Ted shit. I'm writing it now. I need some professionals who can make beats like a bedroom producer with dreams. I need the white kid who wants to be Dr.Dre type beat. I need the black dude who is 20 years old with 6 kids and has a win 98 computer who makes Lex type beats. I need the guitar player who actually thinks he is the next Hendrix but he's not type of score. I need the top ranking internet hustler's type of beat.....that sounds sorta like what's on the radio but not quite there type beats. I need that old man like Rice who goes all out of the box on some weird shit and expects it to be a hit but it's just too weird even though it sounds good type of beat. I need that old guy who makes R&B with spanish guitar sounds on a Motif who complains that R&B sucked in 2013 and they are the savior of it. That sampling producer with the chops that cut off and leave a popping noise at the end..............

YES!!! That's perfect! Thank you Hans!!!!!!!!!

So basically Hans Zimmer is no better than me. Thanks, bro.

@JeanLukPigheart

The creative process is still the same, that's what i was referring to. Of course the guy has years and unlimited resources under his belt but the thought process is still the same. He still sits and bangs out just like any other producer, beatmaker etc. looking for sounds and inspiration in front of a computer with his tools and personal sound libraries.

What i was getting at was that i thought Zimmer was one of those old school Quincy Jones types who bashes technology but was surprised to see that he embraces it and in fact has stated that he prefers to work with it because of the unlimited possibilities.

@JeanLukPigheart

What i was getting at was that i thought Zimmer was one of those old school Quincy Jones types who bashes technology but was surprised to see that he embraces it and in fact has stated that he prefers to work with it because of the unlimited possibilities.

Sure, keep in mind though that the "old school" types were way, way more open to new technology than the 90s-Hip Hop producers, who needed almost 10 years (!!!) to realize that Pro Tools or Logic are just tools and that you can STILL use your MPC with them. Just think about how I was telling producers and mixing engineers about Ableton Live, since like version 4. It took 5 years for many to switch/simply try it out. You know who was the first to use it/embrace it? "Old school" Jimmy Douglas.

Producers from the 90s era are way more "conservative" when it comes to using new technology than those from earlier eras. People like Quincy Jones or Herbie Hancock, coming from the Jazz world, were the first when it came to trying stuff out. The rock guys were the "conservatives" back then. And mind you, a Fairlight was $250k in the early 80s, not the $250 for a FL Studio license you pay these days.

^^^^majority of the greats embrace technology.

Quincy Jones and Hanz Zimmer and some more great names had one of these...
Fairlight-CMI-30A.jpeg

That's right ladies and gentlemen! They even cheated back then. So there you have it. They are no better than us. We got Fruity Loops today.

BUT..........the problem a lot of them "may" have with musicians today is their lack of everything except the technology. Most of these guys today do not have an imaginative musical mind. They do not have a tune in their head to allow their "tools" to bring out. They have a midi keyboard and don't know how to play the keys. They don't understand how instruments blend with each other...could be due to their lack of being around "other musicians". Dudes can front all they want to....they know good and damn well they are in the house by their self or with a few other partners who use the same thing. It's the equivalent of three guitarist jamming together.....no bass player.....no drummer. It's not a put down.......it's a crutch for the vultures to get a hold of. Because they know computer musicians are lazy and don't want to take time to learn anything. All they want is popular sounds that will make them sound important. They selling you all the same got damn sounds over and over and half of you don't even realize it.

I have a fender stratocaster now. I suck. BAD!!! I see why yall don't want to learn shit like that. Dudes make the shit look easy. You gone blister and bleed, SON!! You will cry for your momma, BROTHER!!! Or you will give up...have it sitting in a corner like soo many others. Nope...you ain't about to pick one of those up and find a preset that will give you a blues riff. But me messing with my own guitar outside of playing around with other people's guitar.....I've learned a whole lot and can't even play shit. Looked on youtube and this guy teaching how to play the simplest song in the world......SHIIIIIIIIIID!!! Three got damn notes....easy right? SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID!!!!! I feel like a rookie all over again. lmao! Feel like when I first got reason 1.0 after losing all my hardware. 13 song ideas just from messing around though.....but I can't play them like I want right now. But I guarantee if I recorded them it would sound better than me playing it with the best of guitar vst sounds out. Best investment I've made in years.....I ain't in no rush man...I want to dominate this. Guys on the job in their 60s always jamming on the weekend getting drunk and having a good time. Tomorrow I want my fingers to be all jacked up from practicing. I'll be jamming at work with the guys who are 10, 20, and more years in on the guitar.

Just saying man. Now yall are saying you are the same as people who can visually put music together with whatever mood they are received. Hard for me to believe that......being this the hip hop - the R&B forum. Not a put down. It's hard for me to believe that if a guy needed yall to send some uplifting music or some sad music for a certain mood that you all could deliver.....being you don't understand the theory behind it all. But you can make something epic........because that is what you love.

Last edited:
Damn, Riceman just dropped a duece on y'all. Real talk, I've been playing guitar for three years and you ain't lyin.....its tough as hell. If you wanna play worth a damn, you gotta put your hours in. It ain't like a vst, if you wanna play like a pro, that skill can be yours for the low, low price of.....10,000 hours.

Back