Confessions of a real life beat hoarder

nice music kapone, props. my problem isnt so much hoarding but actually finishing beats i have a lot of started projects, i usually have to finish a beat in 1-3 sittings tops.

Thanks W.A.I.S. mayne! I got a little of that myself. Actually bout 25% of whats on my soundcloud is 'unfinished'. What I've learned though is that 9 x outta 10, the average artist won't have the vision to know if a track is done or not, they depend on ours. So if an artist contacts me about buyin one of the beats I consider 'unfinished', I'll ask them if its ok if I can add more to the beat before I sell it to 'em. If they say its ok, I go head, if they like the beat the way it is at the moment, I leave it alone. More often then not though, in my experience an artist won't be able to tell if a track is finished or not, they jus know if its hot or wack, so if the base of the tracks is hot, I get few complaints when its not finished

Appreciate that bro, tbh the joints on that tape were, for the most part, beats that I wasn't totally satisfied with lol. And no sir, it actually took me a while to get a hang of R&B...I produce it here and there when I get the urge

No problem! Lol, I still need to get to the point where I can release a beat I'm not totally satisfied with. Im an utter perfectionist so it takes me a long time to release anything at all, but I know that you never know who might your stuff even though you may not. That track was dope though! No sick duckage but I could C Kevin Cossom on that track lol

@Shawty1 FL is a BEAST though! 9th Wonder, Alex Da Kid, Swiff D, and a ton of other cats I cain't think of at the moment make SLAPPERS on it! Shxxxxxt, Hit-Boy EXCLUSIVELY uses FL Studio and he doesn't even have a PC, he got Bootcamp JUST to run FL Studio on his Mac!

I always sit on beats. I'll think maybe that I'll use them for myself or one of my homies, then they end up just staying on my computer. Not saying they're the best, but I got some pretty good beats I need to post up. This post has inspired me to go back and finish all those beats and post them up.

Im glad it has mayne. Your problem is pretty much what mines was. Most of my hoarding is cus Im an artist and the artist part of me feels like a kid in a candy store when I make somethin' dope BUT the producer side of me keeps things in perspective. There's tracks that we KNOW are dope but they jus ain't for us or we may not have the opportunity to utilize 'em to their fullest potential so in these situations we gotta make a judgement call whether we should sit on the track or sell it/give it up to someone who could potentially take it further or as far as it deserves. I had a track that I had been sitting on cus I had an opportunity to get it on Bishop Lamont but things didn't seem to B panning through and months passed. In that time I built a relationship with an up-and-coming artist from LA and I felt like the song would do more damage with fresh blood. All a judgement call though, we playin' a game of risks and even not releasing our music is a risk so I figure its better to take the risk of putting it out and in that way we'll have more opportunities than if we sit on it (sometimes there ARE valid cases that demand that we sit on tracks though)

Back