Changing wav to mp3 without losing quality?

MilDlrDime

Chrap-a-holic
I noticed when I exported my last wav file from Audacity to create an MP3, there was a significant difference in quality.
I mainly noticed from the loudness difference and the bass. Is there another way to convert them but without a loss of quality?
I want to convert them so I can make ID3 tags for my tracks.

Anyway to add ID3 tags to a wav or something?

to the best of my experience wavs do not hold id3 tags - in fact the consensus is that trying to add id3 tags will break the wav container

you can use the wave broadcast format to add song information in riff chunks.

I always recommend Audacity because it works every time, it's common, open source, and you can do convenient edits like fading and cutting as well when preparing the final mp3.

Use a quality setting of 320kbps (constant) or 220-260kbps (variable) for the best quality. There is always some loss of quality but high quality mp3 files work fine for full songs.

Yep, that's impossible or else there wouldn't be wav format if mp3 was better quality. You can try adding ID3 tags with your DAW when you export. With cubase I can do that or try it with iTunes but I'm not sure about iTunes.

Loudness difference and bass
The difference should not be that huge. Always keep in mind that you conversion to MP3 might be wrong in some way.
But yeah; it is hard to have a reference if your own settings are fooling you.

There ain´t no loudness difference when I convert/bounce mine. And there should not be in yours either. Nothing that should bother you hard at least.
If you hear a significant difference in perceived loudness, something is wrong somewhere.

my 2c

most times you get a loudness shift because the converter is normalising the file before conversion - audacity's default conversion for mp3's has a normalise function in the processing chain - you need to go into the chain and delete it

Back