Cant make the melody style I want no matter how I try!

DSTF1

Hi,

I've been producing for around a year and can make songs that sound OK. I have a basic understanding of theory etc.

Now, I'd give anything to be able to produce music such as, mainly the main melody/drop:

(RICHELLO - UNCOVER REMIX) - Soundcloud

(Cannot post links)

It sounds so full and dancy.

When I make my melodies they sound ok and work together, but they just don't make me want to jump about as such.

I can't find anything on the web, and I'm lost as to where to go.

could you please point me in the right direction?

around 2:25 and following the melodies are really simple in contrast to what I was expecting - they are a combination of neighbour tones (A-A\G/A or A-A/B\A) and triadic arpeggios (A/C/E or A\F\C), whilst the main note in each bar/phrase sticks to a chord tone (if not root note) of the current chord.

/ ~ means move up to the nearest
\ ~ means move down to the nearest
- ~ means stay at the same pitch

for example

A-A means play the same A note twice

A/A means play A and then play it the octave above

A\A means play A and then play A the octave below

as for the rest the infectiousness of this particular melodic idea is the use of offbeat 16th note rhythms, aka syncopation

they are a combination of neighbour tones (A-A\G/A or A-A/B\A) and triadic arpeggios (A/C/E or A\F\C), whilst the main note in each bar/phrase sticks to a chord tone (if not root note) of the current chord.

/ ~ means move up to the nearest
\ ~ means move down to the nearest
- ~ means stay at the same pitch

as for the rest the infectiousness of this particular melodic idea is the use of offbeat 16th note rhythms, aka syncopation

Hi,
Thank you very much for getting in touch.
I'm trying my best to understand what you have written but it confuses me a little.
i'm not sure what neighbour tones or triadic arpeggios are.

Would it be possible for you to explain it in simpleton terms, and perhaps perhaps point me in the direction in order to make my own music sound more uplifting and memorable like this?

did you not read the examples given with notes? - that is all the explanation of either is - really as simple as it gets

a triad is a basic 3 note chord

There are four types
Major ~ A-C#-E ~ 1-3-5
minor ~ A-C-E ~ 1-b3-5
augmented ~ A-C#-E# ~ 1-3-#5
diminished ~ A-C-Eb ~ 1-b3-b5

the numbers used above tell us how to modify the notes of the chord as if it were based in the major scale (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8) of the starting note. A major has the following notes A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A.

A triad can be rewritten so that it starts on another note but keeps the same chord name:

1st inversion (starting on the "3" of the chord):

Major ~ C#-E-A or C#-A-E ~ 3-5-1 or 3-1-5
minor ~ C-E-A or C-A-E ~ b3-5-1 or b3-1-5
augmented ~ C#-E#-A or C#-A-E# ~ 3-#5-1 or 3-1-#5
diminished ~ C-Eb-A or C-A-Eb ~ b3-b5-1 or b3-1-b5

maybe visit the search engine here at fp and search for chords and bandcoach: I have written about this every week or so for the past 3 or so years

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Understanding this, do you therefore have any advice as to how to make my own melodies more catchy and uplifting as the example I gave?

Thanks in advance.

Back