Building your own production desk...

C1B

Hey guys

For a while now I've been considering changing up my room to create more space for my production setup. Currently I've shoved all my equipment onto a tiny desk in one corner of the room and when it comes to mixing this is not not helping me at all.
I've had a look around on the Internet for so called "production" desks but I'm pretty strapped for cash so I was just considering building my own desk and then assembling it in my room once I have cleared the right space. Has anyone ever tried this before? If so, what problems did you encounter and what would I be looking at in regards to materials and cost?

Or use the services of a carpenter. Give him a figure share your opinions and he will make you beautiful good desk. Use good varnishes fits all your needs. If you want to do it yourself take look at some desks in IKEA or photos from comercial studio's.

The first thing I would ask is if you've built stuff before, like desks or bookcases? Do you have your own tools? Power drill, circular saw, jigsaw, tape measure would be necessary, or can u borrow them someone. The materials (wood, screws, wood finish if you want to stain it, or paint if u want to paint it)will be relatively cheap depending the type of desk you want, prob less than $50. A basic flat desk with maybe a shelf for monitors is pretty basic, but if you want drawers or shelves within the desk that can be a little more difficult based on your experience level. I think its all about your level of comfort with building stuff, because if u don't know what you're doing the money u tried to save will be matched with frustration and back and forth trips to the hardware store. Another option is to buy a basic desk and add components that you build to it. Hope this helps

My first question is how much gear do you have? Is any of it meant to be rack-mounted? If you answered yes to the second one, you will need to consider where you will put the rack for this gear (the first video in the above set of "tutorials" includes rack mounting flanges in the center, but he does not discuss it)

Other than that, it is straight forward construction - tools are the big thing
  • minimum
    • good circular saw
    • screw drivers (phillips/straight)
    • tape measure
    • set square
    • level
    • pencils
  • nice to have
    • router with round over bit

There used to be a great place on-line to get designs and enter into discussions, unfortunately the site got hacked pretty badly (so I am told) and is currently unavailable (may never resurface is what the owner has said)....

Ask any obvious questions and I'll do my best to answer them - production desks are as unique as each person wants to make them.

Studio desks are expensive as hell. I've found computer desks that have everything except the rack mounts on craigslist for a good deal. if you need rack space you can buy one from guitar center for cheap just wont be built into the desk

if you want to be really cheap about it go to your nearest building site and look for an old flat door and a handful of concrete blocks then paint them. also look around for any offices that are closing down, sometimes you might end up getting some free office furniture if you ask nicely. i got a van load of stuff for free once.

I would just jump on youtube, there are dozens of how to's on how to build your own desk from scratch. Some that are extremely detailed from the ground up.

Back