Build your own custom DAW: A tutorial by AE

Alright Question, This thread goes back two years when some of these builds were posted. I'm looking into building my own computer tailored toward audio production and recording, but are there any updates to these builds posted in this thread.

I mean with technology growing everyday are there any better deals on parts i can get now versus what was available years ago for the money?
don't get me wrong im not looking for the most high-tech up to date NASA grade specs available, just a decent system to last a few years.

Im looking to spend about 1500, and i need to run reason 4, reaper, re-wire, etc. on Win XP

Soundbombing87...check out newegg.com.For about $700 or even less you can get a monster pc and spend the rest on some more gear(or whatever)I just just mine from there for a little over $400 and it's a beast.

Just giving you guys some ideas...
I build that "HTPC" for my living room to watch movies/listen to music/satellite DVB-S
But its still a good system for music production.

Advantages: Consumes only 50-60W (saves you money on your electrical bill), lightweight and compact, enough processing power. Built in graphics card.

The whole thing costs only ~ 420$

Additional stuff (not everyone needs those)
- Keyboard Mouse (30$)
- OS (Xp,Vista or 7 ~100$)
- Professional soundcard (~100$)

You can always use your mouse/keyboard, OS and soundcard from your old PC.

Here are some pictures:

1000414.jpg

1000418v.jpg
It`s very nice, and i think it`s very comfortable and portable too.Nice,i think to get the case like this.

This is a great thread :)

Im glad I found it.

I have a computer used for audio production, but Cubase and reason sometimes freeze and run a little slow.

Current system spec:
Harddrive: 1 - 320gb, 2 - 500gb
Good case
Good powersupply - think its 500W

What I think needs replacing is the following:
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI
Ram: 4GB 533 MHz
CPU: Intel Quad Core 2.4GHz

When i am using Cubase, reason, pro tools, I will admit I do have the internet on, web browser up and a couple of other things running.

I am guessing to make the system run faster, I need a better more audio minded motherboard, as I found a quote from another board referring to my one:

Even though this motherboard uses a 7.1 audio codec, Realtek ALC883, it only provides 5.1 audio on its analog outouts, since it only has three audio jacks on its rear panel. This codec provides a low (for today’s standards) signal-to-noise ratio for its inputs – only 85 dB. So it is not advisable to use this motherboard for professional audio capturing and editing (the minimum recommended for this application is 95 dB), unless you install a professional add-on audio card on it. Also the maximum sampling rate for its inputs is of 96 kHz, while its outputs supports up to 192 kHz. The signal-to-noise ratio for its output is of 95 dB.
Faster ram, and processor

So would it be better to keep the system on Intel or should I switch over to AMD?

If I keep it on Intel

Would faster ram like this help?

G.Skill PK Series 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit

A motherboard like this:

ASUS P5Q

• Intel LGA775 Platform
  • Intel® P45 chipset
  • ASUS 8-phase Power Design
  • Dual-channel DDR2 1200/1066/800/667 MHz
  • ASUS EPU-6 Engine
  • ASUS Express Gate
  • ASUS Drive Xpert
  • VRD11.1 CPU support (backward support VRD10.X CPU)
and a new CPU such as:

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550
(12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

or

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9650
(12M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

Any info you can give would be great

Thanks
Jackie

You would have more benefit from a good sound card. Your processor and RAM isn't bad, a good sound card with a clean install f XP and you would notice the difference.

Thanks for the reply. We have a soundcard - Creative soundblaster X-FI TITANIUM PRO FATAL1LY - but we cannot get this to work. We also have an external one - M-Audio Fast Track Pro, which is what we use. Any thoughts??

Thanks
Jackie

You don't want to use the sound blaster for making music, the Fast Track Pro should be ok.

I ran Reason and PT7 on a 1.24Ghz single core with less than a 1GB of RAM and it ran ok for making beats, my 2496 is a great card though without that I'd have been ass out. So you should be ok, can you do a fresh install of XP you probably have a lot of stuff slowing it down.

I'm all for upgrades when its needed, I run a quad 3GHz AMD but you should be able to get buy for a while on that.

Hey thanks again noblewordz, I'm taking onboard what your saying, but I just wanna be sure. Yeah the fresh install does sound like a good idea, but there is a lot of stuff on the main harddrive, we will get some of it (hopefully all of it) copied over to the other drive. Do you have any idea what your card is like with Cubase?

Jackie

I wanna build a comp, and I want to know what should I look for in different parts? Like what should I look for in a souncard etc..

I wanna build a comp, and I want to know what should I look for in different parts? Like what should I look for in a souncard etc..

Check out this post
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...her/new-production-what-you-need-know-366583/.
I could maybe help you with the soundcard. I can definitely advise you since I myself have had so many problems with one in particular. Recently I purchased a focusrite and that thing is just amazing to me. It's doing what it needs to be doing.

Check out this post
https://www.futureproducers.com/for...her/new-production-what-you-need-know-366583/.
I could maybe help you with the soundcard. I can definitely advise you since I myself have had so many problems with one in particular. Recently I purchased a focusrite and that thing is just amazing to me. It's doing what it needs to be doing.

Thanks that had some info, but still what should I look for? Like say for RAM when I'm looking at different companies RAM what should I look for in it? Some particular specs or anything?

Thanks that had some info, but still what should I look for? Like say for RAM when I'm looking at different companies RAM what should I look for in it? Some particular specs or anything?

I'm sorry I thought I had put that up on there already. Anyways. DDR3 is good. make sure you buy a motherboard what will support which will most likely be the case with the newer motherboards. Depending on the extent of your recording you maybe ok with 2gb or you might need to go up to 6 or higher. Also look at the different speeds. 1033, etc..

I built my 1st computer a few months ago and love it.

CASE: Cooler Master Elite 430 (updating to the Cooler Master Haf 922)

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHZ (Overclocked to 3.8GHZ)

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

HARDDRIVE: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache Sata 6.0Gb/s

CD/DVD DRIVE: Asus Drw 21B1st

MOTHERBOARD: Asus M4a88td-v Evo/Usb3

PSU: Antec TP 550 550w

VGA: MSI Radeon HD 5770 Hawk

RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series (4GBx2) 8GB DDR3 (1333mhz)

cost me about $850

Last edited:
Back