Better quality timbre sound for hip hop? (FL Studio)

FluidSound

Alrighty, so, I know how to compose and whatnot with hip hop. It's not making the beats I have trouble with. I have trouble making the instruments/timbre sound high quality. Everything else is fine. The way the notes are constructed and such. But the instruments don't sound all that great, even if I mess with them using FL Studio Parametric and all that other stuff.

Can anyone tell me any VSTs they'd recommend or possibly advice on what else might work?

Oh, one last thing. I make everything from scratch.

Last edited:
let's step back a moment and have you tell us what synths/samples you are currently using

Oh. My bad. Well, I'm using a harp soundfont, VST One (It's an oscillator tool. A very good one too), squidfont (for strings), and some samples from old school rap artists for drums.

My Soundcloud is Fluidsound. Just to give you an idea of how I work things out. However, the instrument quality is rather poor.

Last edited:
Its very hard to make something that's not high quality into something that is high quality. You could layer sounds but the lower quality stuff could bring the higher quality stuff down if your not careful.

I strongly recommend starting with sounds that you are happy with - if this is not currently possible then use sounds that require a minimal amount of modification to sound good!

If that's the case, what do you recommend? Any VSTs? I do have money to buy good VSTs, but what would you say would be preferred for Hip Hop based beats? I've been looking around and there's stuff that's too expensive for my blood. When I say expensive, I refer to Native Instruments or some stuff like that. That stuff is definitely worth it, but not in my budget to get everything I want.

Last edited:
The main thing u want is a decent variety so you can consider things in a different light, it might not have been what you were initially after but by making the most of what you had you were able to come up with something even better!

Try vsti demos, - you really have to let your ears guide u (because you will listen in context), not me for example.

The following url contains the answer you really want but consider what I said previously as there are some vstis out there that get no mentions but can work really well. In terms of looking for hip hop specific stuff - hip hop has always allowed completely unique sounds so I dont think you should be limiting yourself to vsti's that claim to be hip hop.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=S4OlUqWKAoSfkQX15ICgBg

Try PSP MixSaturator or Sausage Fattener or Camel Phat. Not sure what you want, but if your instrumentals sound weak, you can fatten them up with these.

Just try to resist putting these vst's on every sound. Its tempting, but you usually end up with a muddy mess.

Try PSP MixSaturator or Sausage Fattener or Camel Phat. Not sure what you want, but if your instrumentals sound weak, you can fatten them up with these.

Just try to resist putting these vst's on every sound. Its tempting, but you usually end up with a muddy mess.

this is not the question asked - the op wants to know are there better vsti's to use in getting the classic sounds of hip-hop

you have suggested that he apply vstFX to his existing sound sources - that may compensate for a thin sound but will not address the underlying issue of having more or better sounds to choose from

Last edited:
In my experience Soundfonts never produce high quality sounds, I might be wrong but I have never heard one that didn't sound cheap.
I think you need to be more specific about what type of sounds/instruments you want. Are you after natural and acoustic type stuff or are you looking for synths.

Is this your Soundcloud? https://soundcloud.com/fluidsound if so you obviously have nexus going by your song names. Nexus is a really good VST but it is more tailored for EDM in my opinion.

I recently purchased Omnisphere and it is the best VST I have used as of yet, it has a huge variety of sounds and is perfect for any type of music but it is going to set you back $500. Spectrasonics - Products - Omnisphere - Power Synth

Same for NI's Komplete 9, I haven't used this VST myself but it has a huge range of sounds and will again suit any genre but it costs $500. The good thing about this though, is you can purchase each of it's features individually if there's some you don't want or need. Komplete : Bundles : Komplete 9 | Products

A good option for you might be Tone 2 Gladiator. I have this VST and it also has a good range of different sounds including a lot of natural instruments and all of the sounds are easy to tweak and shape how you like. Plus it only costs $200 though it has nothing on Omnisphere but you get what you pay for! Tone2, Synthesizer, Free, Download, The Best, Top10, Audiounit, Plugin, Effect, VST, AU , Audio, Sound, Music, Mp3, PC, Mac, Sound, Presets, Patches, Samples, Cubase, Steinberg

If I were you, I would save up for either Omnisphere or Komplete. I wish I didn't buy Nexus and Gladiator to be honest, they are both really good but if I had of spent my money on Omnisphere from the start I would never of had a need for Nexus or Gladiator.

Back