Best way to isolate a studio?

Akee

Starting producer & DJ
Hey, I'm a beginner DJ and producer and I have a little room at my house were I put all my stuff. I have quite some big speakers which generate a lot of sound. That's why I'm searching for a good way to isolate the room so other people in my house and my neighbours will hear less of the loud sounds. I found a lot about isolating a studio for recording and for producing music, but my goal isn't to improve the sound in my room, but to lower the noises outside of my room. Could anyone give me some useful information?
Akee

same deal applies whether you are creating a tracking room or a listening room that you want isolated:

you need to build structure within structure: that is, you need to build a room inside the existing room, that is mechanically isolated from the existing room structure.

See Recording Drums for ideas on how to begin implementing such a project

click on all the tabs across the top, as the first page is not the first tab

Hey, I'm a beginner DJ and producer and I have a little room at my house were I put all my stuff. I have quite some big speakers which generate a lot of sound. That's why I'm searching for a good way to isolate the room so other people in my house and my neighbours will hear less of the loud sounds. I found a lot about isolating a studio for recording and for producing music, but my goal isn't to improve the sound in my room, but to lower the noises outside of my room. Could anyone give me some useful information?
Akee

Hi Akee,
It seems you have some terms a bit mixed up which is likely where the confusion is coming from.
"Soundproofing" is a term used to describe "isolation" - meaning preventing noises from leaving your room and preventing them from entering as well. There is a lot of info about isolation online but a lot of it is misleading so be very careful with what you read. As Bandcoach noted above, it usually involves constructing a new room.
However, often times you'll end up finding "soundproofing" or "isolating" foam - which actually is not a soundproofing or isolating piece at all, and instead, treats the room to sound better. This is called acoustic treatment, but often the terms soundproofing and isolation are used as marketing tools incorrectly.
Confusing, I know!
To sum up: Bass Traps, Acoustic Panels, Foam, etc are all types of acoustic treatments to improve the sound in the room.
Isolation (what you want) requires construction - and is exactly the same in any type of room whether it's a home theater or a music studio.

Back