Beat Makers>>>>>Producers

i kinda stopped givin a **** what people labeled me a while back just let the music speak for itself and let dope artist speak through my tunes and pay me for it im happy

you can call me Tiny Tim for all i care long as i got satisfactory results from what i create and enough to provide for me and my fam im good

tho if i tell the truth it did used to bother me but then i realized some people have to try and use whatever means they can to put you down in an attempt to elevate themselves and when they see you dont caare they still unhappy so its w/e with me now

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

You got 5,000 plays in 2 days on Soundcloud and 1 download. Really? Really?

i notice that ****ery alot

but ppl be desperate i dont even say nothing i just keep workin hard at my craft and let em be

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

I figured out a way to rig soundcloud just like I do on my soundclick and myspace plays!! You got me!! Have your music up on more blogs you'll get there!

lol really? blogs work huh?.....ok then

Last edited:
This entire convo always boils down to people using labels to put themselves in a higher cast system. If the only thing that separates you from everyone else is a self-proclaimed title....you're in the wrong business.

If the industry thinks Mike Will is the best beatmaker around right now, and you think you do more than him because he just makes beats and you "produce", he'll still be "the #1 producer in the game right now" while you're still on forums trying to convince us you're what a "real producer is"...or isn't.

Last time I'll ever say it, because it falls on deaf ears. You'll never see a CD insert that says "beat made by".

This entire convo always boils down to people using labels to put themselves in a higher cast system. If the only thing that separates you from everyone else is a self-proclaimed title....you're in the wrong business.

If the industry thinks Mike Will is the best beatmaker around right now, and you think you do more than him because he just makes beats and you "produce", he'll still be "the #1 producer in the game right now" while you're still on forums trying to convince us you're what a "real producer is"...or isn't.

Last time I'll ever say it, because it falls on deaf ears. You'll never see a CD insert that says "beat made by".

i hear you loud and clear and i agree with you 100%

thats why i let others decide what they wanna call me i just make music you can label that if you want to as well matters not to me anymore too much energy wasted to even try and convince someone who has their mind made up about you already anyway

to me at least but i guess ppl like titles for some reason to validate themselves or distinguish themselves to set up some kind of peckin order so heres a title for those guys not that it means anything just sound good : urban composer...huh yall like that? lol

Why limit yourself?

Just because someone produces, doesn't mean they can't or don't make beats. It's all about your skill level.

Know this; everyone in the studio follows the producer's lead. He/she is calling the shots. If the producer isn't feelling it, then it doesn't go on the record. End of story.

If a person has the skill level to produce, then he is a producer. And they get paid well to do it. There is a reason cats like Puffy got paid so well in the 90's; he had the ears. He could produce. Everyone else in the studio worked for him.

Why did they work for him when,they clearly could write, play, sing, make beats waaaaaayyyyyyyy better than him? Because they didn't know how to put it all together like him. They could not produce like he could.

Or, there are guys like Timbaland who make beats and knows how to produce. Which do you think he gets paid the most for? He knows what a song is suppossed to sound/feel like and how to get it there.

Lastly, there are mofos like Prince. He's the Jackie Chan of music. He does all his own stunts. From beatmaking to producing and everything in between.

Point I'm making here is there are different styles of producing. You do what works for your style of working. But, by all means, learn to produce.

You can go to any hood that has electricity and find cats making dope beats. By em' 3 beats for $100. Get beats for free if you're a rapper or singer with a little a name. The beatmaking game is cheap and almost anyone with a little talent and some software can make some decent beats. But knowing how to make take a beat and make it into a hit song is where the gold is.

Eff, what you heard. Learn to really, really produce. Not only will you be able to make more money, but your beat making , in general, will be better.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Why limit yourself?

Just because someone produces, doesn't mean they can't or don't make beats. It's all about your skill level.

Know this; everyone in the studio follows the producer's lead. He/she is calling the shots. If the producer isn't feelling it, then it doesn't go on the record. End of story.

If a person has the skill level to produce, then he is a producer. And they get paid well to do it. There is a reason cats like Puffy got paid so well in the 90's; he had the ears. He could produce. Everyone else in the studio worked for him.

Why did they work for him when,they clearly could write, play, sing, make beats waaaaaayyyyyyyy better than him? Because they didn't know how to put it all together like him. They could not produce like he could.

Or, there are guys like Timbaland who make beats and knows how to produce. Which do you think he gets paid the most for? He knows what a song is suppossed to sound/feel like and how to get it there.

Lastly, there are mofos like Prince. He's the Jackie Chan of music. He does all his own stunts. From beatmaking to producing and everything in between.

Point I'm making here is there are different styles of producing. You do what works for your style of working. But, by all means, learn to produce.

You can go to any hood that has electricity and find cats making dope beats. By em' 3 beats for $100. Get beats for free if you're a rapper or singer with a little a name. The beatmaking game is cheap and almost anyone with a little talent and some software can make some decent beats. But knowing how to make take a beat and make it into a hit song is where the gold is.

Eff, what you heard. Learn to really, really produce. Not only will you be able to make more money, but your beat making , in general, will be better.

Ok so say you a rapper that don't make beats just in the studio going thru beats,get a nice beat,record the song,put it out and it ends up being a top 10 hit.Are you then consindered a producer

seeing that you did the entire song by yourself?

I just hate the "you're not a producer you're a beat maker" line like we(beat makers)suppose to take offense to it.Hell yea im a beat maker which means i produced the beat not the song so

technically i am a producer even if i wasn't in the studio telling the artist do this and do that that's why beside the song title you see produced by beat maker.So called producers try to act like

they're more important than the person who makes the beat and that's the problem.The beat means everything notice how many songs there is where you can say the lyrics not that hot but that

beat is bangin compared to how many songs you can say that beat wack but the song is hot.

Last edited:
One can call themselves what ever they choose. Hell, one could call himself a turnip if he wants to as long as he can get the job done. And, if that job is making sure a song sounds like it's ready to be a hit then he is producing.

But, if all he is doing is making the beat then all he is doing is beat making. Not full fledged production. Sure, he might get a co-production credit. But he ain't getting productiom money. And, when he has a chance to do a real production, with a real artist, in a real studio, with a real budget, he's going to feel real deflated cause his project doesn't sound as good as he thought it would and he has no idea why. That's how you end up with a song where the beat is dope but the rest of it is garbage. He was a beat maker who called himself a producer.

Making sure a song is rapped correctly, sung on key, the hook is hot, the verses are hot (cause most artists need instruction to sound thier best), the song fits the artist's style and abilities and last but not least making sure the whole thing is banging enough to crush everything else out there. That's what being a producer does.

A hot beat is just a starting point. It's not a whole song.

People put too much and too little into the word producer and the same with beat maker. Not much needed to produce a rapper. He needs a beat, he records the rap to the beat......he doesn't even have to write his shit because he so good. If a rapper needed you as a "producer" to be a vocal coach while he is in the booth....it would hurt his boo boo....because Snoop didn't need one.....why should he....he feels he is next so he must run the show like the Lil Wayne recording footage.....HE must be the one to say "RUN IT BACK" not you.....because HE NEXT....and that's what a person who is NEXT feels like how shit suppose to go... so when he gets an interview he can feel comfortable talking big shit about himself.....he has more important stuff to think about besides you telling him "say it this way".....this man has a football team to own and move it to his city.....you a producer...you cost too much....fuuck out of here....I'm a budget.

People have to realize why they feel producers are important. Most got started in the big producer craze that was going on.....where actual "chart topping artist" were also the producer. When Lil Jon could yell "YEAH" on the same 808s and synths on every song and it go atleast close to gold. When Pharrell would sing "I'm A HUSTLA BABY"...........bam.....you slipped up and heard he made $100k for producing the record.......and that confusion lead you to wanting to make beats. Because you felt the hits were made because of the producer......and back then it was only half true..you believed it to be whole truth.

All the same shit. Sometimes all that is needed is the beat and everything else falls into place.

BUT........the never ending question. Since you sent a beat...which made you a songwriter...and the rapper recorded the vocals he wrote....which makes him a songwriter....then who really "produced the song"? Things that make you go "hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm". But most artist don't give a damn about being the producer......you can have it since you made the beat....he owns the "song"...lol.........you may not own no part of it at all. So when Trojan wants to use the song you produced for that artist.....you might get NOTHING....all you get is credit.....dude paid you your $300 for the exclusive. Trojan didn't ask for the beat....they didn't give a fuuck about the beat....they wanted the part of the song where the rapper kept saying

Soooo........play it smart. Be both....got dammit. Quit worrying so much about a name or your importance and focus on what IS important. Which is your real roles in the project, along with your role outside of the project. Because your beat.....could now be the actual music for trojan outside of the "what you have no rights to"....or that "small as cut you put on the contract which allows you to have only 5% of endorsements or whatever.

Quit focusing on that little shit.

Last edited:
Publishing company is also an option. Being your own publish company is cool when you know how to get down. But if you don't.....don't let the words "publishing company" be a cuss word in your mind. $$$$$$ verse fronting like you don't need one because they will own a percentage of your future classics.

Sometimes swallowing your pride and putting your career ahead of your beats is the answer to everything. Maybe the beats themselves are holding you back. Just a thought.

Last edited:
F%ck it give me the beat maker label that's what i do and what i do best make great f%cking beats.I don't have to be in no studio with no artists ever.Make beats email them out get a placement and get a check and go back to making more beats i can't be in the studio all day everyday i got sh%t to do.Producers are like engineers to rappers.Rappers lay they raps down,leave the studio and let the engineer work his magic with mixing the track and get it to sound right.Beat makers drop the beats off and let the so-called producers work their magic with the artist.Let these so-called producers do all the other sh%t they can have it but i bet a so-called producer can never make a great beat like me(a beat maker).

these so-called producers do all the other sh%t they can have it but i bet a so-called producer can never make a great beat like me(a beat maker).
tumblr_m7us2z0OlP1r60v6do1_500.gif

Last edited:
I would say a beatmaker does this for fun. A producer does this for a career. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.lol!

Beat Maker = Some random nobody giving away cheap beats they made by clicking shit into the Fruity Loops piano roll.

Producer = Same guy with a higher opinion of himself.

Back