Asr-10 Vs Mpc

ASR or MPC?

• Total voters
If you go with the ARS 10, look at the other things U will need. sample storage for example.

My oldschool sampler only uses single sided double density floppys
You cant buy these any more. I had to special order then from radioshack and that was five years ago. I doubt they have any now.

I dont use floppy's anymore because my sampler supports scsi as does the ARS 10. Ie scsi harddrive to save your sounds on.
again research which ones will work.
Do new models work, or are they out of production?

I dont think this will be a problem as I recall my friend used a iomega scsi zip drive with his ARS 10. I believe that iomega is still in bussiness.

I bought his EPS and he bought a new ASR 10, Pimping Bastard.

Anyways just somethings to consider before you spend your hard earned cash

^^^You don't, because it takes waaaaaaaay too long..LOL..no joke..

True. It could take well over an hour to time stretch one sample, and there is no telling how good the quality will be when it's done.

I had very minimal results that were usable.

RockThaMP said:
Wow...This is stupid.

You're dead on homey...

Comparing a drum machine/sampler/seq to a keyboard/sampler/seq...
The definitive answer is: THEY ARE 2 DIFFERENT YET SIMILAR BEASTS...

Sampling wise, Asr-10 is def better because of its vast methods of sound manipulation....

Sequence/Workflow/TotalPackage wise... MPC packs more of a punch and i think gives you more for the money. You can sample, chop, and sequence in the tightest sequencer known to man.

So in the end, its not about whats better, but WHAT DO U NEED? U like keys better than pads? U more of a composer than a sampler? Do you like choppin up quick vinyl and droppin a dope beat? Are you more for the retro lo-fi sound of the asr or the bright/punchy sound of the mpc? Its really all relative... I've used both and I'll never ever.. ever ever... get rid of my MPC, even if it stops being the central brain of my studio...

Ait, thanks to all who replied and keep the discussion going if ya wish. It has been really interesting to read all this!

I had to respond to this. First of all, I use MPC, ASR-10 & ASRX-Pro. I am well versed in each machine. We all know MPC's sequencing is good. However, Let's not sleep on the 10. I'm surprised none of the true 10 users did not mention this about the song mode. You can make one basic sequence & break it down in song mode. ex. Let's say sequence one has 6 tracks used. instead of making 3 other sequences with different variations of those 6 tracks, you can just mute out the tracks in steps. I can't do that on my 2000. I have never really had a serious hiccuping problem with my 10 when it mattered (playback, recording to DAW). Furthermore we all know ASRs (both 10 & X) are far more superior in sound than MPCs. so what you can't see the wave when you chop, you are a producer/beatmaker, USE YOUR EARS!!! I love my MPC to death, I actually use it to keep my ASR song modes in check just in case ;) !! The X has nice features but yes the sequencer is crappy. I think if Creative wouldn't have pulled the plug on all things hardware, The Red Devil would have been right next to if not slightly ahead of our favorite Akai machines. That's just my opinion on this whole debate!!!!

im hearing so many mixed oppinions on the mpc that i have no idea of what to believe! i hear ppl say the mpc has punch! and then i also hear ppl say that they can't hear any difference between the mpc vs software..sooooo what is it? Are the kicks play on a mp packs any additional "punch" over softwares such as fruity loops or reason?!?!?!?!
lets get it str8 once and for all for the kats who can't find out for them selves whether the mpc ffers punchy sound since they dont have access to mpc. me personally haven't touched a mpc in my life. i only saw a mpc in personal twice!

I have an MPC 2500 and an ASR-10. They both have there benefits and downfalls. As standalone work stations the MPC is more user friendly and has a much better work flow. The ASR, however, has sophisticated editing options and a richer sound quality. Plus the ASR is more musical I prefer to chops my samples up into a whole bunch of keys and have everything in front of me. On the MPC if I have more than 16 slices I have to toggle between pad banks. Also with the ASR you have to train your ears to make your chops. On the MPC you get a visual editor which makes life easier and beat making faster. The downside of the ASR is that the sequencer is basic and you cant swing notes. The machine is old and slow and cant interface with the computer well. I run them together chopping and editing my samples on the ASR and sequencing my drums on the MPC. Using the MPC sequencer and then dumping to Protools for mixing. This has worked well for me so I think that they both have there individual strengths and weaknesses but when you combine them all together you get the best of everything.

mortan said:
So, I've been peeping at the ASR-10 since I only use MIDI-keys and Reason ( Eventhough I have a MPC 500 ). I think the keys are much better than pads. So, what do u have to say about the ASR? Any good? Big difference between pads and keys? SPit!!

- mortAn - aka Niclz

asr10.jpg
mpc2kxl_mcd.jpg
Depends how you produce. IMO the MPC is all around better for making a full producion on. Better for Midi, pattern creation and sequencing, but the ASR is way cooler for slicing samples and using alongside other stuff.

Alot of producers actually use the ASR10 alongside an MPC for that reason.

i think it depends on preference of pads or keys. they can both do the same thing it just depends on your preference. also you should take your learning curve into account, if want something that's generally more user friendly i would go with the mpc. it's a lot more straightforward, the asr is cool but it's a little harder to get used to.

Xabiton said:
I think had i got it now Id probabaly love it but I didnt like chopping without the graphic screen before but it does have a lot of dope features. Im curious what are the major differences between the Eps, ASR10, ASRX, ASRXPRO and EPS 16 outside of fx and sample time. And do any of them have time stretch? Im really curious and can't find much info on them via google.
EPS: http://www.vintagesynth.com/ensoniq/ens_eps.shtml
EPS16+: http://www.vintagesynth.com/ensoniq/ens_eps16.shtml

The EPS was 12 bit w/ variable smaple rates (6.25 - 52kHz)
16plus was 16 with variable sample rates (11.2 - 44.6 kHz)

doesn't say about the EPS but the EPS16+ has an 8 track sequencer.

ASR-10: http://www.vintagesynth.com/ensoniq/asr10.shtml
ASR X: http://www.vintagesynth.com/ensoniq/asrx.shtml
ASR X Pro: http://www.vintagesynth.com/ensoniq/asrxpro.shtml

the ASR's are really different (at least when u read those articles it seems that way)

go ahead and check out those links

o yeah, there was an ASR 88 too, i think it was just an 88 key version of the ASR10 tho

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to go with an mpc on this. Don't get me wrong, the asr 10 is dope. Chopping samples on this thing is great. Probably my favorite part of it. It sounds great too. I don't really go into the effects but i've tried them and they are dope.

However, i find the mpc to be a better all in one package. The ASR 10 just seems so slow in comparison. It's just so much more intensive than using a mpc. The mpc's sequencer is not just better but i think it's also far easier to sequence other gear as well. It's basically a thing where every thing i don't like about my asr, the mpc does it so well. And everything the mpc doesn't have that the asr has just isn't important to me. Don't get me wrong, asr's are dope, i hope to use one with an mpc in the future, but for have a single peice, i'll take an mpc.

For those who didn't know using the JJ OS 2, the MPC 1k and 25k can now also do non-destructive chopping like the ASR 10!

BigRyan said:
People who haven't used both shouldn't be voting. Then it just becomes a popularity contest.

Ha-ha! WORD!!!!!

I didn't vote only because I like my 2000XL for some things and my ASR for others. No Contest.

see you got the asr with the keys and effects and sample choppin, then you got the mpc with the pads, sequencer and midi capabilities-just a real nice combo-then add a motif or fantom module and wahlah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASR... I think mine is being delievered to day

i just got my asr today and i noticed the sound difference. its beautiful. i noticed it on a sampled old record and then i noticed the difference on a drum loop. i'm glad i picked this thang up.

Last edited:
Back