arsenio cancelled

H

hammrough

I am very disappointed that the arsenio hall show was cancelled. He brought diversity to late night; he always featured people that Appealed to the black community. There reason was it didn't draw in the demographic they wanted (white). We should not stand for this and speak up. We can do this by signing this petition
http://www.change.org/petitions/cbs...&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

You can also tweet #bringbackarsenio

Another way is to send this email to this list of people
Dear CBS,
I am a fan of the Arsenio Hall show. I was disturbed to find out that the show was cancelled; despite being renewed for a second season. I enjoyed the diversity on the show and late night is now all white. I will not watch CBS until he is brought back and will post on facebook, twitter, and forums to spread the boycott.

cender@cbs.com,sljacobs@cbs.com,vernon.cheek@cbs.com,diane.ekeblad@cbs.com,demarcus@cbs.com,sienna.sanders@cbs.com,rwinsor@cbs.com,dlmcclintock@cbs.com,ed.harrison@cbs.com,tiffany.smith@cbs.com

Thanks for any Support

you sure it wasnt the fact that no one knew it was on.... the viewing time... and the fact that they barely had an online buzz??/ hell I didnt even know it was back until last month.. the promotion was terrible.... it should never be that way for a show thats on a prime time network...

you sure it wasnt the fact that no one knew it was on.... the viewing time... and the fact that they barely had an online buzz??/ hell I didnt even know it was back until last month.. the promotion was terrible.... it should never be that way for a show thats on a prime time network...

He's right, the show wasn't producing. I don't think it's a black/white thing, it's a money thing, cause the show was successful it's first run with pretty much the same format. The second run probably didn't meet some executive expectations.

I'm not so sure about it not being known about - I know who and what and I live on the other side of the world (some 14-17 hours ahead of you guys which might explain it :) )

maybe the wrong sort of advertising and a lack of understanding about social media (though I doubt that one) could explain it, but as with most things in the 24-7 cycle of news and celebrity you have to be constantly churning your name and image into the public mind or you get forgotten

I'm surprised, I thought it was picked up for a second season. I think his commentary may have been a little to edgy for the powers that be at times, plus if you look at utube views he was in the 100s and low 1000s, not the millions or hundred thousands that you usually see with popular shows that also put there content on utube.

sadly jimmy fallon is much entertaining than Arsenio Hall imo.... that show does everything right... I just watched a few episodes of the hall show online and it was boring as hell were compared to its old show.......boring guess.... this guy had kid and play on one of the episodes with tyler the creator? gross combo.... his PR should be shot in the face for that one

I thought Arsenio was only putting his stuff out as a webcast show not actually on the air.

That just goes to show the promotion of the show was complete crap.

ya i don't think i saw a single advertisement for the show on tv or even online, i mostly just watch espn and local sports channels though.

I'm surprised, I thought it was picked up for a second season. I think his commentary may have been a little to edgy for the powers that be at times, plus if you look at utube views he was in the 100s and low 1000s, not the millions or hundred thousands that you usually see with popular shows that also put there content on utube.

Unfortunately today it's a entirely different ballgame. Corporations have more power than ever. You can have a loyal audience, good ratings and still get axed.

I remember seeing advertising about the show and even seen some of the music performances on youtube. I think the problem that the show had marketing wise is that they advertised just him coming back to late night. Forgetting that his show had been off for about 20 years and in the meantime hadn't really been relevant during that time either

He can go online, setup shop and do his own thing. He already has a built in audience and he can take control of his own destiny. This is not 1994...

I kept telling people this wasn't going to work.

The people who brought Arsenio back didn't understand the reason why his show was so popular in the first place. And it's because of the reasons why it was so popular in the first place, that it would NEVER work in 2013/2014.

Back in the early 90's, Arsenio was the country's introduction to fresh, new music. He was the continuation of the traditions of people like Ed Sullivan and Dick Clark. Arsenio exposed the country to artists that they wouldn't otherwise be exposed to.

Arsenio was the Gatekeeper of New Music.

So why didn't his show work in 2014?

BECAUSE THAT ROLE IS NOW FILLED BY YOUTUBE

That's the reason Arsenio's show didn't last. Because there was no need for him on terrestrial TV, in the same capacity that he served before.. He had no way of differentiating himself from the major network's leaders, The Tonight Show and The Late Show. (Fallon and Letterman).

In 2014, he was just another guy with just another talk show...with C list guests.

But like LD said, if his people were smart, they'd take his show ONLINE...and make the Ad Revenue from it.

He could indeed become the AUTHORITY on fresh new music again...he could be the FIRST piece of national exposure that these bubbling regional artists get, and his show could be on youtube.

Imagine if a young Kendrick Lamar, fresh off of Section.80 were interviewed by Arsenio and performed on his internet show? With the ARSENIO brand behind him, and the accessibility of YouTube, Kendrick would have been exposed to millions and millions...INSTANTLY.

That's what Arsenio needs to do. And after becoming the KING of New Music on YouTube, the majors will be BEGGING him to come back....shit, and he may even land on one of the major networks.

Arsenio...the Aggregator of New Artists.

I swear...somebody needs to start paying me for these ideas. I just created a whole new lane for Arsenio

Last edited:
He can go online, setup shop and do his own thing. He already has a built in audience and he can take control of his own destiny. This is not 1994...

very true.... and what J.Troups said was very true as well..... however his music guess arent really whats popping... or he catches them too late...... Jimmy Fallon catches artist ASAP not to mention he will keep you dying laughing which Arsenio still does for me but now we are in a very "racial sensitive" place now....... corporate appearance kind of wins more than the edgy thing..... besides that, being black isnt "hip" no more as being corporate and "black"...... not to mention black people are afraid to be themselves because of the backlash (see dr. dre celebration video... many blacks and white were calling him a "coon" or a "thug" for being happy he made it)

crazy how you can get the earth pulled from under you for being yourself and not being racially offense yet those who really got the money (see justin bieber and donald sterling) can act like idiots and disrespectful and get passes (more money)

makes me not wanna be rich ever if I have to sacrifice my comfort zone as a black man to gain exposure.. I dont secretly hate somebody and then smile in they face.... I know I got a little off topic but Im starting to see a pattern

very true.... and what J.Troups said was very true as well..... however his music guess arent really whats popping... or he catches them too late...... Jimmy Fallon catches artist ASAP not to mention he will keep you dying laughing which Arsenio still does for me but now we are in a very "racial sensitive" place now....... corporate appearance kind of wins more than the edgy thing..... besides that, being black isnt "hip" no more as being corporate and "black"...... not to mention black people are afraid to be themselves because of the backlash (see dr. dre celebration video... many blacks and white were calling him a "coon" or a "thug" for being happy he made it)

crazy how you can get the earth pulled from under you for being yourself and not being racially offense yet those who really got the money (see justin bieber and donald sterling) can act like idiots and disrespectful and get passes (more money)

makes me not wanna be rich ever if I have to sacrifice my comfort zone as a black man to gain exposure.. I dont secretly hate somebody and then smile in they face.... I know I got a little off topic but Im starting to see a pattern
The guest thing is not really accurate. He's had A-list rappers like KDOT, 2chainz and others, and he mixed it in with legends like Prince and EWF. The main problem I think was that he show only appealed to black folk (mainly over 30), which I guess CBS said wasn't good enough.

@ Troup & LD he still needs major capital, because no one is really doing a big show like that on utube. To do a real show you need netflix or amazon money.

The guest thing is not really accurate. He's had A-list rappers like KDOT, 2chainz and others, and he mixed it in with legends like Prince and EWF. The main problem I think was that he show only appealed to black folk (mainly over 30), which I guess CBS said wasn't good enough.

@ Troup & LD he still needs major capital, because no one is really doing a big show like that on utube. To do a real show you need netflix or amazon money.

it does take alot of money to do youtube brother....... there literally some terrible and poorly produced channels on youtube making decent money with more subs........ are you assuming he is broke or something?

Arsenio can raise the funding. He can do a show with 1/4 the scale of his current show. He doesn't need a live audience. Doesn't need the big fancy stage/set, etc.

His brand alone will bring the traffic.

Fallon is only concerned with artists that already have a major push behind them. That's how they got on the show in the first place. Fallon isn't about DISCOVERY.

Arsenio can be about DISCOVERY. Those artists that are polished, that are making noise in their area, that have the songs, etc. The semi-pro artists.

And i'm not just talking about BLACK artists.

Imagine how huge it would have been for Arsenio, if his youtube show had been the first one to debut LORDE to the US talk show audience...

Think of how huge it would have been if Arsenio had been the first one to bring PSY (Gangnam Style) to audiences in the US.

Hell, there's an artist, Sam Smith that's bubbling. Young white soul singer. And what about Boyce Ave? Their covers be KILLING youtube, but still a lot of people don't know about them.

Most times, with new music/artists, they have to be SHARED by people that we trust, in order for us to even pay attention to them.

Arsenio already has a TRUSTED brand.

His people just need to revamp the strategy. He needs to stop trying to compete in a lane that doesn't exist for him anymore, and create a new lane based on WHAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT.

it does take alot of money to do youtube brother....... there literally some terrible and poorly produced channels on youtube making decent money with more subs........ are you assuming he is broke or something?
Ya I'm familiar with the utube game, and no I don't think he's broke. I just don't know of any utube channels/show that finance a production team big enough to do a night show five times a week employing that many people. I could be wrong. To my knowledge he wasn't following the Oprah/Tyler model where u own all the production company (that's what CBS was doing). I think he has options, but he's going to need to people to finance the next step.

I kept telling people this wasn't going to work.

The people who brought Arsenio back didn't understand the reason why his show was so popular in the first place. And it's because of the reasons why it was so popular in the first place, that it would NEVER work in 2013/2014.

Back in the early 90's, Arsenio was the country's introduction to fresh, new music. He was the continuation of the traditions of people like Ed Sullivan and Dick Clark. Arsenio exposed the country to artists that they wouldn't otherwise be exposed to.

Arsenio was the Gatekeeper of New Music.

So why didn't his show work in 2014?

BECAUSE THAT ROLE IS NOW FILLED BY YOUTUBE

That's the reason Arsenio's show didn't last. Because there was no need for him on terrestrial TV, in the same capacity that he served before.. He had no way of differentiating himself from the major network's leaders, The Tonight Show and The Late Show. (Fallon and Letterman).

In 2014, he was just another guy with just another talk show...with C list guests.

But like LD said, if his people were smart, they'd take his show ONLINE...and make the Ad Revenue from it.

He could indeed become the AUTHORITY on fresh new music again...he could be the FIRST piece of national exposure that these bubbling regional artists get, and his show could be on youtube.

Imagine if a young Kendrick Lamar, fresh off of Section.80 were interviewed by Arsenio and performed on his internet show? With the ARSENIO brand behind him, and the accessibility of YouTube, Kendrick would have been exposed to millions and millions...INSTANTLY.

That's what Arsenio needs to do. And after becoming the KING of New Music on YouTube, the majors will be BEGGING him to come back....shit, and he may even land on one of the major networks.

Arsenio...the Aggregator of New Artists.

I swear...somebody needs to start paying me for these ideas. I just created a whole new lane for Arsenio

It's easy to be an armchair quarterback. It's a whole lot harder finding financial backing and venture capitalists to bring those ideas to fruition.

Back