Are the Beats Pro by Dre headphones as good as they claim to be???

great thread... alot of helpful advices... so, in ur opinion, whats the best headphones i can get for a 250-300 dollars range?

---------- Post added 07-05-2011 at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-02-2011 at 08:46 AM ----------

is that akg q701 accurate enough for mixing?

I have a set of the ATH-M50 (mentioned above) and I think that they are better than the Beats. If you buy the beats you are paying for a name. The beats are decent headphones for listening (as said above) but they are over the top when it comes to bass, it seems as if they drown out the rest of the ranges. The overall build of the M50's is great in comparison to the beats. $300 is a lot for not much. If money is not a problem then you might want to check out some Grados and skip the overpriced beats. I bought the M50's for $160 and they are much less than that now, I dont really sweat it because I feel as if I still got my moneys worth. Just my $.02 worth.

well anyone that says the dre beats sound bad have obviously not used them ha but there shiiit for mixing cause the mix is super lacking in bass since the beats make the bass so much louder and BETTER :) There amazing for listening too all hip hop and im sure dubstep techno other heavy bass genres, but im only a hip hop guy so w.e

SO the answer is if your mixing buy monitors or phones that are true with no pre amps built in so you make the mix on those then the mix sounds amazing in the club or where ever its played I recommend the Maudio BX8A they are 400 and excellent quality or a pair of sony headphones.

DON'T get them for mixing. The bass is too loud, and because of that you will turn in the bass in your productions down which will make your beats sound weak on other headphones/speakers. I'm pretty sure you could get more accurate headphones for less than 200.

I'd say get some Yamaha HS80 monitors, they're very accurate. They go for about 480 euro's in Holland, I don't know what that is in dollars

You've clearly never heard any decent pair of headphones.

They are definitely NOT good for mixing. They won't even run without batteries, which is used in the pre-amp to over compensate the low frequency and bass.

In case you forgot, you want accurate reproduction in mixing, not exaggeration.

Even just for casual listening I find these headphones aren't good unless you only listen to rap music. Any other genre and it will sound too bassy.

LOL exactly

Beats by Dre just have boosted bass and are very overpriced. If you want quality for your money, go get AKG headphones. High prices but amazing headphones.

Their a fashion statement more then anything.... Go with a good pair of SENNHEISERS for reference I use the HD380 pros.... Not as trendy but the mix will come out far better for 70 percent of the price.

lol? you can mix on whatever you want as long as you are used to it. ive been producing on headphones and i get a cleaner master than my krk 8" rokits

lol? you can mix on whatever you want as long as you are used to it. ive been producing on headphones and i get a cleaner master than my krk 8" rokits
maybe your rooms need lil sound treatment then headphones are useful for listening for noises/click/pops that some speakers don't pick up it may sound good on your system but im pretty sure it wot sound as good on other systems because you hear it different on phones then monitors

Don't buy headphones to mix on. The left and right channels will sound more separated than they actually are. Get a pair of decent monitors and maybe a pair of Sennheiser hadphones as another source to listen to and check your mix.

Actually, mixing on headphones works like a charm. I´m personally mixing on Sennheiser HD 800 cans and they beat my Genelec monitors by far. You will still need monitors to crossreference, but the clairity of the HD 800 and the fact that they don´t need room treatment makes them great for me to mix on. You must have some extremely prices monitors and a top notch treated studio room if you are to beat the Sennheiser HD 800s in mixing. Furthermore, you can mix everywhere on cans. As mentioned, you will need studio monitors or otherwise for cross reference, but I can holeheartedly recommend mixing on HD 800. The separation is really wild, making me able to produce and mix better than what my Genelecs offer.

Last edited:
I've tried numerous headphones and the only ones I thought were worth the money were the Sennheisers I'm wearing as I type right now. Dre headphones are really bass heavy and they would no doubt mess you up for your mix.

Back