Are hip hop producers really musicians?

what i meant was a beat and no rap is generally not a song unless it's that dj shadow/madlib/flying lotus donuts high level shit.

Yeah I get your meaning. I agree.
Im just saying that technically, like dictionary wise, a "song" has to be able to be "sung".

Yeah I agree though.
Without some real arrangement, and some melody, a beat doesnt become a full on 'track' or 'composition' or whatever.

Although I guess a melody could be sung, technically...

(from your links)
: poetical composition

a : a short musical composition of words and music
b : a collection of such compositions

3. poetical composition; poetry.

And by God am I not going to waste my fingers on the esteemed academy of answers.yahoo.com
20 More Of The DUMBEST Yahoo Answers! Questions | SMOSH

A dictionary definition of the word "song" is a simplified explanation for a layman to understand the basic essence of the word... it is not the bible of defining what a "song" is for musical purposes... it is so when someone says to themselves "I've heard this word 'song' before but what is it? ahhh, it is one of those music things you sing."

But the fact is, there are instrumental "songs"... there are ambient "songs"... blah, blah, blah...

it would be silly to even try to claim, for instance, that any of these songs on this list of Spin Magazine's "The 30 Greatest Instrumental Songs Ever" ane not, in fact, "songs".

Playlist: The 30 Greatest Instrumental Songs Ever | SPIN | Best of SPIN | All Time

song has a wider meaning of of poetic composition otherwise we should expect the songs of Solomon to have music accompanying them when they are purely presented as words

the Greek dramatical concept of the chorus was not that of a group of singers but a group of reciters who would intone words in response to other players parts

i.e. the word song has been adapted over centuries and millenia to mean more and more things without jettisoning any of its prior meanings and yes noise merchants are always interested in what is this music thing.....

Last edited:
Im convinced that half the mods here are just trolls, for fun.

But do you understand what he has said?

Its pretty hard for me to take that serious.
Does anyone think that anyone doesnt "understand" the common usage of the word?

But, yes, I do understand. I read Spin.
I thought that I implied my understanding, and the technicality that I was speaking on, here;

Yeah I get your meaning. I agree.
Im just saying that technically, like dictionary wise...

So, do you understand how this looks, to me?
Looks like some illiterate contrarians decided to vehemently disagree with the fakking dictionary...

a dictionary is generally a snapshot of current meanings of a word - the meaning that the original Websters had will be at odds with what we see today.

the Oxford English Dictionary regularly adds 1000 or more words each year and adds to existing word definitions over the entire dictionary - i.e. a dictionary is never a static thing.

If you then reference an abridged or essential dictionary, you may not get all of the meanings associated with that word as they are generally edited to reflect "modern" usage only

ps on your troll point - ever thought that this whole thread and most of those started by markenneth jr and others who are pushing racist and controversial topics are also trolling for live bait?????

ps on your troll point - ever thought that this whole thread and most of those started by markenneth jr and others who are pushing racist and controversial topics are also trolling for live bait?????

Oh he most definitely trolling a bit but it makes for some interesting arguments as they progress.

Most definitely

Some producers put in more work than people that just play instruments, as far as composing, arranging the melodies into your own patterns. Always Good To make your own style of music.

Is it really fair to try to assess such a diverse group of people in such a way? I know a couple of producers that exclusively write hip-hop stuff, and I remember them being in many a band class. (Not all of 'em percussionists, either. :P)

Back