Akai MPC 4000 or Roland MV-8800

In all honesty the MV is overblown and has more stuff than I actually need. I was pretty much fine for the most part with the 2500, the MV adds a couple more nice convenient features that are very useful. But I can tell that there is a huge bulk of it that I will probably never use.

The main selling point was the price. I felt like I was being cheated as the MPC 2500 (and MPCs in general) are waaay overpriced. For the money I was paying, I felt as though I might as well save my money (as I actually ended up making money by selling my MPC and buying a used MV) and get the bigger machine with more features. I was also unhappy with Akai's support of the 2500. Their updates stink and they are cheating honest dedicated customers. The JJ OS was my only reason for even holding on to it for as long as I did. At least with the MV I can have a little more confidence that they will only add to the OS and strive to make their customers happy.

The most annoying thing about the MV tho is the midi situation. At first I thought I could probably live with 2 midi outs but now I realize that I am constantly wanting to build up my production set-up (yes I am afflicted with gear lust). But at the same time it is a hidden blessing as it just gives me another reason to not buy more gear that I will probably never get around to using.

That's kind of the way i feel about it. I know the MV has more options than the MPC, never argued that, but what I mainly needed was rock solid sequencing, and control of my gear without worrying about midi timing issues, latency, etc........and for that it does a great job. Sure the MV looks appealing and calls my name sometimes, but the MPC does what i need so no need to really sell it.

As I said, the MV looks like more of an all in one solution of being able to load sounds, bang pads, and burn a cd right there. I wish that the MPC had the VGA out, but it's not a big deal. I can do all my sequencing on the MPC and then record to cubase

Yo TohTruck, in regards to your comment about what I said...I can't argue with that one bit. My little temptation beat was definitely on that ...oh snap I gotta make a beat like Premier or Dre. I did that and after talking with folks like yourself and thinking what I want to accomplish personally my focus changed totally. That was the only sample based track I've done so far. I feel the same in that I may never use all the functions on the MV. The price for a 4K or 2500 just isn't worth it to me in terms of what the MV offers. Support is better for the MV and so if you base it on that alone.. support and price will get my dollar any day. I've used the MV for 3 months now, so yes I do find myself clarifying certain functions with the manual. Those that know me personally know that I'm in the Marine Corps.. 17 plus years and have no time to waste with bullcrap. In terms of a sound investment the MV still came out on top. Reading never hurt anyone and if I have to read something .....might as well be about the MV and making music. Respect to all and your choices for your gear. I chose my weapon and I will go to battle with this beast...hahahah

MPC 4000 hands down if money is not the factor. you pay for what you get. a lot of MV users wish they could afford the MPC 4k and therefore they try to justify their purchase of the MV. Use whatwhatever machine you can work with or with in your budget..atthe end of the day its your creativity that will make you great but it's important to inform people which machine is better without being bias.

bellow is just a comparison between effects and filters.

MPC 4000
Realtime control is provided by two note variation sliders and four Q-Link knobs. These can be separately assigned to allow flexible realtime performance control of a wide variety of selectable parameters including level, pan, filter cut-off and resonance, effect send, tuning and more.

Each assignable Q-Link knob can generate MIDI controller data so that all performance information can be recorded and played back from a within a sequence.

Not so much a MIDI Production Center as a MIDI Performance Center

New filtering is provided by way of 6-pole digital dynamic filters which allow realtime control of the cut-off frequency and resonance from the Q-Link knobs or via MIDI control change messages. The new filter design not only supports all filter designs available in the powerful S5000/S6000 and Z4/8 samplers but allows new variations such as the triple filter consisting of three independent 2-pole filter blocks.

Filter modulation is part of the APM (assignable program modulation) matrix which has more than 30 modulation items freely assignable as either source or destination. Furthermore one source can be assigned to multiple destinations and likewise multiple sources can be assigned to one destination just like on a vintage synth matrix patch board.

Filter Types: 36 resonant filter types (2/4/6-pole LP, BP, HP, notch, etc.)

Triple Filter: 2-pole multi-mode filters x 3 with resonance

Envelope Generators: 3 x Envelope generators (2 multi-stage)

LFO: 2 x Multi-wave with MIDI clock sync

Effects: 4-channel 24-bit/96kHz processor offering over 50 effects types including reverb, delay, chorus, flanging, phaser, pitch shift, rotary speaker, touch and autowah, compressor, noise gate and more.

MV-8800
Vintage & Modern Effects
An incredible lineup of modern and vintage effects is built into the MV-8800, including models of classic Roland SRV reverbs, SDD-320 Chorus, SBF-325 Flanger, Boss BF-2 and HF-2 pedals, and the legendary RE-201 Space Echo. The MV-8800’s multi-effects processor includes an Analog Modeling Bass that turns the MFX engine into a virtual SH-style bass synthesizer. All MFX knob tweaks can be automated as you mix.

Multi-effects (MFX) Libraries: 144 (Preset: 44, User: 100), Chorus Libraries: 52 (Preset: 2, User: 50), Reverb Libraries: 54 (Preset: 4, User: 50), Mastering Tool Kit Libraries: 76 (Preset: 26, User: 50),

bendiesel111 said:
MPC 4000 hands down if money is not the factor. you pay for what you get. a lot of MV users wish they could afford the MPC 4k and therefore they try to justify their purchase of the MV.

Are you serious? The MPC4k goes for exactly what the Mv8800 does. I could have bought either or and I chose the Mv. So to say that people chose the Mv over the MPC because they don't have the money is being extremely neive and a bit rash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Akai-MPC-4000-MPC4000-Music-Production-Drum-Sampler_W0QQitemZ280151168438QQihZ018QQcategoryZ38070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Akai-MPC-4000-PLUS-MPC4000-Blue-Music-Production_W0QQitemZ170147104612QQihZ007QQcategoryZ38070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/AKAI-MPC-4000-MPC4000-SAMPLER-DRUM-NEW-LCD-SCREEN-60GB_W0QQitemZ130150832675QQihZ003QQcategoryZ38069QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And the funny thing is, their not even selling at that price.

Do you need more proof? I think not.

Last edited:
I kind of don't even wanna touch Bendiesel's comment(s).

But I'll just say that Roland has a much better reputation in terms of effects. I cannot say from experience because i have not used the 4000. But If they are anything like the fx that came with the 2500, then the MV beats the hell out of the MPC AND steals its lunch money. I just can't imagine anyone buying an Akai product for their fantastic fx.

A dude I know use to work with a 4K. He thought it was a really great machine. I can certainly believe that it is very capable and robust. However, the MV is clearly the better investment (not just in terms of having a much lower MSRP) because it has the advantage of continued support and updates from Roland. The 4K is pretty cool because they are out of production, more midi ports, and you can also make the argument that you can get into much more complex and intricate sequencing and styles because of the higher PPQ/TPQN resolution (even then having such a high resolution will only be helpful if you are making some really crazy intricate music).

I have a question. How good is the EQ for each track on the 4000? I put a tiny bit of reverb on the MV tracks and use the EQ, but the changes are very subtle. It's something that i find annoying.

Last edited:
AudiosEnvy and Tohtruck I'll say this. You's two are just reinforcing the fact that I've made the right choice in purchasing this machine so I thank you's lol

...18 days but whos counting :monkey: lol

Oh yeh I managed to track one down for a very reasonable price of £550 (around $1,100) at Audiolines.com, but I'm abit skeptical as it seems just abit to low. So just wondered if any have had previous experiences with this site and whether it was reliable?

Well in all honesty I wasn't really trying to make the MV sound better than the MPC 4000. But I'm glad you feel confident about your MV purchase.

MV Nation is so ill because there's very little bs talk, everyone on there is serious and helpful.

In all honesty, part of me misses the MPC. I liked that it was so quick to pick up on. I feel like the MV is taking me a little longer to really learn but with all the added features, I expected that it would be a machine to invest a good amount of time to learn.

MPC good because its easy to pick up and learn quickly

MV good because theres so many features and many more options. I still wish there were more midi ports tho.

And the funny thing is, their not even selling at that price.

Do you need more proof? I think not.

AudiosEnvy,First allow me to apologized if I was perceived to be a bit rash and if I offended anyone.
Not sure what you meant by your qoute above? the ebay links you sent me was for a used MPC 4k. A brand new MPC 4k does not sell for about the same cost of a brand new MV. Both of the these machines, if sold used, will go down in its value. A used MV sells for about $1600 on ebay. That would still make the MPC about $400 more expensive.
Honest;y, I'm not here to argue about the the two. i just wanted to add to the thread and provide folk with information. As far which they decide to buy is up to them.

But I'll just say that Roland has a much better reputation in terms of effects. I cannot say from experience because i have not used the 4000. But If they are anything like the fx that came with the 2500, then the MV beats the hell out of the MPC AND steals its lunch money. I just can't imagine anyone buying an Akai product for their fantastic fx.

tohtruck,The 4k is nothing like the 2500.
hmm when it come to synth effect I agree that the MV has the upper hand but when it comes to tweaking your sample the MPC does have alot more options. you have a lot more options when it comes to filtering you samples (36 resonant filter types ..2/4/6-pole LP, BP, HP, notch, etc.) , 2 x Multi-wave with MIDI clock sync LFO envelopes with 4-channel 24-bit/96kHz processor, plus it also has the ADSR control like the MV.

Both machine have something that the other doesn't. THEY"RE BOTH GREAT!!
for example, I wish the 4k had split notes option and the synth bass and drums sounds that came with the MV. ehhh linear song mode... hmm maybe it might also be cool to have on the MPC 4k.

Dyce-Man said:
AudiosEnvy and Tohtruck I'll say this. You's two are just reinforcing the fact that I've made the right choice in purchasing this machine so I thank you's lol

...18 days but whos counting :monkey: lol

Oh yeh I managed to track one down for a very reasonable price of £550 (around $1,100) at Audiolines.com, but I'm abit skeptical as it seems just abit to low. So just wondered if any have had previous experiences with this site and whether it was reliable?

Call them and find out. If you have a decent judge of character you'll get a legit or not vibe from them. If it sounds the least bit fishy, then hang up and look elsewhere.

Dyce is that for a brand new MV???

THat does sound a bit fishy. For a used MV 8000 that sounds about right. But brand new I'm not too sure. I agree with Envy, call em up and speak to them and judge for yourself.

I managed to get my MV-8800 for about $1300 barely used. I got it off eBay and didn't expect to actually win it. I was suspicious about the auction so I called and talked to the seller one-on-one. It turned out to be some woman in Vegas who hadn't used eBay before so she didn't know about reserve prices. In the end I benefitted from that but was about to not pay for it had it not been for her contacting me over the phone.

I know yh, it does seem abit sketchy to me aswell :( lol I'll just have to keep looking for now. Thanks though Audiosenvy, I'll phone them an see what the deal is.

That's for an "Open Box" one Tohtruck, for a new one it would $1499. Lol doesn't seem worth it now you mentioned that story, wow $1300 though :O, that's a sweet deal man.

Thanks for all the advice though guys..I'll get one in the end! I'm too determined not to lol

youngjboy said:
I picked the MPC 2500 over the MV, but sometimes i wonder if it was the right choice. I like my MPC, but at the same time I do wish it had the MV's screen and monitor hook up. I think the MV integrates the feeling of using a DAW with the hands on of hardware. The only thing that swayed me to go MPC was the simpleness of the MPC line. I tried the MV at GC and I could barely figure out how to do anything without the manual there. MPC on the other hand........turned it on and was banging stuff out in a couple minutes. I watched Roland's MV demo and was like damn, i would have never figured out how to load my instruments and all that without the tutorials or manual.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful here (honestly), but that is what the manual is there for. I went into GC as well - and have played with both peices of gear. And I would have to say that you are right. Without having read the manual the MPC is easier to compose a beat. But I am a firm believer that anyone that is willing to put a little time in to learn how a machine was made to work will greatly benefit.

I would vote MV 8800 on this one. I think its feature list is stronger, and watching the vids on YouTube has made me a firm believer in its work flow.

Anyone can learn a new system. Just read the manual!

(personally, I'm planning on upgrading to a MacPro, from my g4 - then copping an MV8800)

hope this helps

TT

Tongue Tide said:
I'm not trying to be disrespectful here (honestly), but that is what the manual is there for. I went into GC as well - and have played with both peices of gear. And I would have to say that you are right. Without having read the manual the MPC is easier to compose a beat. But I am a firm believer that anyone that is willing to put a little time in to learn how a machine was made to work will greatly benefit.

I would vote MV 8800 on this one. I think its feature list is stronger, and watching the vids on YouTube has made me a firm believer in its work flow.

Anyone can learn a new system. Just read the manual!

(personally, I'm planning on upgrading to a MacPro, from my g4 - then copping an MV8800)

hope this helps

TT

No disrespect taken, but the bottom line is that I wanted something that works, but i didn't want another piece of gear that has a steep learning curve. I wanted instant gratification and that is what I got. With a Karma, MP-7, Fantom XR, Yamaha Drumset, MPC 2500, Cubase, Sonar, Ableton............are you really going to know all of them like the back of your hand. The point was that the fantom's sequencer is pretty easy to use, i figured it out in the store instantly. I have numerous sequencers, hardware and software and the MV had me scratching my head on how to use it. Sure I could have downloaded the manual and went in pre-educated, but i wanted a time saver, not waster. What I really needed as I have already stated is rock solid sequencing, sampling, and nice build(pads, buttons, etc). I wasn't worried about having 50 million features, but the ones i wanted are there and it does that very well. I wanted to be making music instead of taking a few months to study up to figure out how to turn it on:p

These are the same reason someone may want a Mac which costs more than a PC with more abilities. Some like to keep it simple.

Last edited:
youngjboy said:
I wanted to be making music instead of taking a few months to study up to figure out how to turn it on:p

Haha. I can hear that. And I guess the point that we could both agree on then is that everyone needs to make the decision based on their own personal situation - as to what peice of gear they should buy.

:cheers:

TT

Tongue Tide said:
Haha. I can hear that. And I guess the point that we could both agree on then is that everyone needs to make the decision based on their own personal situation - as to what peice of gear they should buy.

:cheers:

TT

Exactly, I have to buy what is right for me. The MV is very powerful, but not as user friendly. I wish the MPC had the same VGA out, but it's not a deal breaker. Just my Karma alone has so many possibilities with the Karma Generate Effects as far as programming as well as creating your own patches. The MV is a sick machine but so is the 2500. It's all personal preference.

I have an awsome dasiy chain going at my studio, and usng the MV 8000, mc 909, Fantom x6, and Motif es6 is a mighty army that can't be stop. Go with MV 8800 0R the MV 8000 you won't go wrong.

Back