Akai MPC 4000 or Roland MV-8800

T

Tohtruck

I need help deciding which to get. Right now I've got my eyes set on the MV-8800 but then I started seriously considering the alternatives to the MV. I don't wanna be jumping from one piece to another. I just want one end all be all core piece of kit that will act as my staple.

One of the things I liked about the MV is the option of linear DAW sequencer type interface. I also liked the workflow on the MV. I find the linear look to be much more comfy in terms of arranging and visualizing (I know it kinda sounds weird since we're talking about an audio medium) a song. I'm not a big fan of Song mode on the MPC, it feels like I'm reading and arranging on a shopping list instead of a actually seing where each track and sequence is in relation to each other.

I currently use an MPC 2500 but I am not completely attached to the MPC interface and ways of doing things. There are things I like about it but then aspects about software and DAW programs that I like as well (yes in terms of pre-producting and beatmaking as well). So I felt real at home with the MV since it kinda felt like a melding of the two (like if the MPC and DAW software had sex and gave birth to an illegitimate son).

I also like that pretty much any editing and processing of samples can be done on the fly in real-time on the MV (nice for workflow).

Although I haven't tried the sampling options on the MV yet, I am intrigued by the option of being able to sample at varying bit depths and sampling rates.

But I am wondering if the 4000 has the same advantages and features that the 8800 has and/or if it has more features or a better way of working. I have no way of trying out the 4000 and this is why I am posting this on here. So if any users can offer any input, especially people who have owned and/or used both I would greatly appreciate it. But as of now I feel as though Im leaning more towards the 8800. If someone can convince me otherwise then I would like to hear your input as well.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

What's up man? I've had my MV8800 for about three weeks now. I decided to buy my MV based off of the forums for both Akai and Rolands MVNation forum. I also watched videos and then went out and tested what was available. Guitar center had the MV and only the MPC 2500 on down. No MPC 4k. Any way as you explain the workflow is what I felt comfortable with. With the MV you have the choice of picking what is best for you. I have about three beats and I barely have gotten into this thing. There are tons of videos on Youtube and Roland has some as well. I think if you go with a MV you can't go wrong. Research and read. Check each forum and then decide. I'm sure I will see you at MVNation.com. I'm basically still a newbie their. Doesn't matter I still feel this is the best piece of equipment for the price.

THanks for the input. Yeah that's all I've been doing the past two weeks: reading up and finding out more about the MV-8800 and watching videos. Yeah I been reading the posts on MV Nation. Likewise all the members are happy with their MV's (tons of MPC converts too I noticed). I was basically set on the MV and never even really considered the 4000 for some reason. But then I stumbled across a comparison thread on the Akai forum comparing the MV and the 4000. Plus I realized that I never really looked into the 4000 and just assumed that it was an overblown MPC with unhappy users because Numark decided to abandon the unit once they took over Akai. But the Higher resolution in the sequencer had me wondering. Again, if anyone knows anything about swing/shuffle options and quantizing features on the 4000 post up the 411.

Yeah I feel you on the workflow. I like the workflow on the 2500 as well. I can work quick and easy on the 2500 but I felt just as quick and easy on the MV but with the added benefit of being able to visualize the arrangement of the patterns. Plus the sample editing and real-time non-destructive editing on the MV kills what the MPC has to offer (even with the JJ OS, which was my only saving grace in keeping the overpriced 2500 to begin with: even tho I decided to give up my 2500 I still think JJ is the man and Numark owes their a$$es to the man).

wattup tohtruck... First off.. I'm new as hell to the game... I've done tons of research and had alot of "what if" thoughts about trying to produce in the past... but it got to the point where I had to make a move.. so I stunted and bought the 8800...(I go hard! lol) Now I can't say anything about any other product cause I've never had a try at em... but It's a good feeling knowing that I invested into something that can do it all... so they say.... anyways, just bought it two days ago... I'm looking mad forward to learning this beast and so far it's been pretty easy to mess with.... I don't think you'll regret it.. plus.. I got mine on credit.. 17 months, no payments no interest.. not bad right.. sam ash! but yeah let me know what you decide...

i'd go with the mv-8800 cuz that's what the rza is rockin out on....naw just playin but for real if i was to get something else that would be it to me it just screams workflow...

Mv8800. I don't know how I could work without it now. I'd feel so lost. Now, my DAW is used for only tracking and mixing. My entire creation process is done with the Mv sequencing all my synths. I just can't speak good enough about it.

One thing THEY NEED. A global patch edit. Once that is in place, the Mv is the be-all end-all of hardware sequencers and samplers. Also, MVnation is one of the best communities on the net .

Last edited:
AudiosEnvy said:
Mv8800. I don't know how I could work without it now. I'd feel so lost. Now, my DAW is used for only tracking and mixing. My entire creation process is done with the Mv sequencing all my synths. I just can't speak good enough about it.

One thing THEY NEED. A global patch edit. Once that is in place, the Mv is the be-all end-all of hardware sequencers and samplers. Also, MVnation is one of the best communities on the net .

I feel you on that fam. I don't even own one but having extensively read up on that forum, MVnation has already made me feel at home and sway my decision in purchasing one regardless of the flashiness of the machine. Should be purchasing the 8000 model in about 3 weeks. :cool:

Dyce-Man said:
I feel you on that fam. I don't even own one but having extensively read up on that forum, MVnation has already made me feel at home and sway my decision in purchasing one regardless of the flashiness of the machine. Should be purchasing the 8000 model in about 3 weeks. :cool:

Congrats man, you'll love the thing. It's a frigg'n BEAST. I'm sure you recognize me from the nation then huh? :monkey:

I just got the MV8800 4 days ago.....got it on a open box deal for 2G's.....let me tell you that I love this thing...and this is coming from an absolute newbie...I mean I had the demo of FL 3 for like a year back in the day and I messed around wit my friends MPC 1000, but I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to making beats....but after peeping some youtube vids, the MVnation forums, and reading like half the manuel..i've already banged out a beat and this is coming from someone who is not to savy with equipment, I cant even hook a DVD player up to a TV....I mean its going to be a LONG LONG LONG process for me because this is a totally new world for me but I wouldn't buy any other equipment...softs are cool...the MPC series is classic but just a little dated to me....the MV is like having a MPC, Protools, a wave editor, a mixer, effects, and a DAW all in one machine plus it has TONS of ill instruments that come stock....the keyboard syths alone are worth the money...and if you have a keyboard controller MIDIed out its a wrap.....I recomend this to anyone looking to make music...its worth the money...it comepetes wit the MPC4000 and its 2G's cheaper....Roland is Chuck Liddell-en Akai wit this machine

up untill about a 2 weeks ago I was strickly an emcee and knew nothing about making beats and the MV got me making pretty decent music after 4 days..FAR FAR from good...but decent

AudiosEnvy said:
Congrats man, you'll love the thing. It's a frigg'n BEAST. I'm sure you recognize me from the nation then huh? :monkey:

Thanks man :D . I know, seriously can not wait to get it just waiting for my wage slip to come through from last month.

Where would you say is the best place to buy one though? Disregarding the obvious choice of a retail store. I've been monitoring Ebay & Sound on Sound for a good month now to see if any new deals have came up, none so far. Prepared to pay around £900-£1000.

Yeh, I recognise you very well. Haven't signed up so far but the second I buy one I definately will. Keep up the good work though, you an alot of others like Damadman an Mesaone are the dudes what keep that forum alive!

G-rime said:
I just got the MV8800 4 days ago.....got it on a open box deal for 2G's.....let me tell you that I love this thing...and this is coming from an absolute newbie...I mean I had the demo of FL 3 for like a year back in the day and I messed around wit my friends MPC 1000, but I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to making beats....but after peeping some youtube vids, the MVnation forums, and reading like half the manuel..i've already banged out a beat and this is coming from someone who is not to savy with equipment, I cant even hook a DVD player up to a TV....I mean its going to be a LONG LONG LONG process for me because this is a totally new world for me but I wouldn't buy any other equipment...softs are cool...the MPC series is classic but just a little dated to me....the MV is like having a MPC, Protools, a wave editor, a mixer, effects, and a DAW all in one machine plus it has TONS of ill instruments that come stock....the keyboard syths alone are worth the money...and if you have a keyboard controller MIDIed out its a wrap.....I recomend this to anyone looking to make music...its worth the money...it comepetes wit the MPC4000 and its 2G's cheaper....Roland is Chuck Liddell-en Akai wit this machine

up untill about a 2 weeks ago I was strickly an emcee and knew nothing about making beats and the MV got me making pretty decent music after 4 days..FAR FAR from good...but decent

Congrats on the purchase man..I'll be shortly following! :monkey:

Last edited:
Dyce-Man said:
Thanks man :D . I know, seriously can not wait to get it just waiting for my wage slip to come through from last month.

Where would you say is the best place to buy one though? Disregarding the obvious choice of a retail store. I've been monitoring Ebay & Sound on Sound for a good month now to see if any new deals have came up, none so far. Prepared to pay around £900-£1000.

Yeh, I recognise you very well. Haven't signed up so far but the second I buy one I definately will. Keep up the good work though, you an alot of others like Damadman an Mesaone are the dudes what keep that forum alive!

Your in the UK so it's hard for me to say as I don't know that market well at all. All I can say is you are paying out the ass for it if you have to drop 900 - 1000 UK pounds on it. If you convert that to US dollars this is what you get [as per www.XE.com]:

<TABLE class=XEtbl_sub cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=XEenlarge align=right width="45%">900.00 GBP

</TD><TD id=XEenlarge vAlign=top align=middle>=

</TD><TD id=XEenlarge align=left width="45%">1,814.94 USD

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=XEtbl_sub cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=XEenlarge align=right width="45%">1,000.00 GBP

</TD><TD id=XEenlarge vAlign=top align=middle>=

</TD><TD id=XEenlarge align=left width="45%">2,016.60 USD

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Dude, I paid that for my 8800! You may want to look into just buying from the US since the 8000 is EVERYWHERE here second hand and just having it shipped to the UK. You'll save cash dude.

Lol very true! Thanks for the heads up dude :D , I might just do that. I prefer to shop online safely rather than an ad service anyway.

Can not wait to get this MONSTER of a machine! :bigeyes:

I picked the MPC 2500 over the MV, but sometimes i wonder if it was the right choice. I like my MPC, but at the same time I do wish it had the MV's screen and monitor hook up. I think the MV integrates the feeling of using a DAW with the hands on of hardware. The only thing that swayed me to go MPC was the simpleness of the MPC line. I tried the MV at GC and I could barely figure out how to do anything without the manual there. MPC on the other hand........turned it on and was banging stuff out in a couple minutes. I watched Roland's MV demo and was like damn, i would have never figured out how to load my instruments and all that without the tutorials or manual.

Your saying you decided to buy the MPC based off the fact you couldn't figure everything out when you demoed the thing....that's crazy. You have crazy sampling possibilities with the MV. My first beat was from a Temptations sample I ripped on the MV from cd. I just ripped, assigned to like 8 pads and made a nice beat. People need to stop making decisions based off if they can figure out a demo model. I read the manual when I first got my MV and still need to refer to it for certain functions. Be different... everyone is trying to do the same thing and sound the same. Not me...... I'm sticking to the MV and I will continue to develope MY SOUND... Not lil Jons, Manny Fresh, Timbo, or Dre.....

Tigersharc1 said:
Your saying you decided to buy the MPC based off the fact you couldn't figure everything out when you demoed the thing....that's crazy. You have crazy sampling possibilities with the MV. My first beat was from a Temptations sample I ripped on the MV from cd. I just ripped, assigned to like 8 pads and made a nice beat. People need to stop making decisions based off if they can figure out a demo model. I read the manual when I first got my MV and still need to refer to it for certain functions. Be different... everyone is trying to do the same thing and sound the same. Not me...... I'm sticking to the MV and I will continue to develope MY SOUND... Not lil Jons, Manny Fresh, Timbo, or Dre.....

No one said I was trying to have anyone's "SOUND". What I said is that from my initial experiences, it was not easy to just get going on it and the MPC was. I weighed my options and made a decision. I feel the same way about the Motif, it has great sounds and a difficult confusing interface. People buy what works for them and to me, the MPC was easier to get moving on, just like my MP-7 command station. Having to do multiple takes and go through multiple steps to start can kill my ideas. I like Roland.............own a Fantom XR, I just wish the MV was easier to operate. I have plenty of gear and like i said, the MV was a little difficult to figure how to get a sequence going. I mean, literally after watching the Roland demos, it was like click file, create folder, select sounds, do this do that, now we can start.........MPC......scroll to empty sequence, press record, bang pads.....viola.

Last edited:
Tigersharc1 said:

Yeah I kind of agree with you. YOu can't really judge a piece of gear off of just going to a store and trying it out. You really have to spend quite a bit of time first.

But its kind of funny that you're advocating being different when you mention that you sampled the Temptations to make a beat. If you constantly have to refer to the manual when working the unit then that kind of suggests that it is not that easy to operate.

I kinda feel JBoy on this one. I owned a 2500 for a few months but then switched it to the MV. One of the main things that I liked about the 2500 and made me reluctant to give it up is that it is very easy and quick to pick up on. I figured out all the essentials and basics the first couple of days I had it. One of the key selling point about the MPC line is that they are very intuitive and require very little steps and dilly dally to do things.

THe MV is kinda the same, just like the MPC the steps to accomplish different processes, edits, and sequencing techniques are very sequential. But there are alot of little hidden easter eggs and things you wouldn't really know unless you really read through the manuals.

I have to honestly say that although it is a monster and it will be worth it in the long run, it is kind of a pain in the ass to figure out (especially when you are just learning it). Not everything is intuitive (but that's also because it can do much more than most of the MPCs). For people who have alot of time to fiddle with their gear it can be a good investment.

But if you are someone who does not have alot of time in the day to play with your gear then it almost seems like a very bad choice and a quick re-sell or return. If you work a full-time job, go to school, or have other things to do in your life, you don't really wanna spend hours reading through manuals and blindly clicking around and pushing buttons to figure things out. THe MPC definitely leans more toward the instant gratification concept. Whereas the MV seems more catered to people who have alot of time on their hands who can invest their time to gain alot of functions and techniques in the long run.

With that said it is kind of funny when you have an piece of technology worth nearly $2,000 that has a "DO IT" button. lol But that just shows how the MPC tends to satisfy those who want to do things quickly and easily.

I'm not knocking either machine. When I had the 2500 I kept dreaming about all the possibilites with the MV (which is generally priced nearly the same), now that I have the MV part of me is happy to have such a big complex machine but part of me also misses the intuitiveness simplicity and slightly faster workflow of the MPC. But I made the decision that I'm not in a rush to learn everything and become a master over night so I went with the MV (which I know will probably take me a couple years to really master inside and out).

Just my 2 cents

Yo man MV-8800 all the way , hands down , MPC's overall really have nothing over on the MV series that constitute the MPC being better for overall production.

MV-8800 is mad heat and ive used ALL MPC's and would NEVER go back.

Tohtruck said:
Yeah I kind of agree with you. YOu can't really judge a piece of gear off of just going to a store and trying it out. You really have to spend quite a bit of time first.

But its kind of funny that you're advocating being different when you mention that you sampled the Temptations to make a beat. If you constantly have to refer to the manual when working the unit then that kind of suggests that it is not that easy to operate.

I kinda feel JBoy on this one. I owned a 2500 for a few months but then switched it to the MV. One of the main things that I liked about the 2500 and made me reluctant to give it up is that it is very easy and quick to pick up on. I figured out all the essentials and basics the first couple of days I had it. One of the key selling point about the MPC line is that they are very intuitive and require very little steps and dilly dally to do things.

THe MV is kinda the same, just like the MPC the steps to accomplish different processes, edits, and sequencing techniques are very sequential. But there are alot of little hidden easter eggs and things you wouldn't really know unless you really read through the manuals.

I have to honestly say that although it is a monster and it will be worth it in the long run, it is kind of a pain in the ass to figure out (especially when you are just learning it). Not everything is intuitive (but that's also because it can do much more than most of the MPCs). For people who have alot of time to fiddle with their gear it can be a good investment.

But if you are someone who does not have alot of time in the day to play with your gear then it almost seems like a very bad choice and a quick re-sell or return. If you work a full-time job, go to school, or have other things to do in your life, you don't really wanna spend hours reading through manuals and blindly clicking around and pushing buttons to figure things out. THe MPC definitely leans more toward the instant gratification concept. Whereas the MV seems more catered to people who have alot of time on their hands who can invest their time to gain alot of functions and techniques in the long run.

With that said it is kind of funny when you have an piece of technology worth nearly $2,000 that has a "DO IT" button. lol But that just shows how the MPC tends to satisfy those who want to do things quickly and easily.

I'm not knocking either machine. When I had the 2500 I kept dreaming about all the possibilites with the MV (which is generally priced nearly the same), now that I have the MV part of me is happy to have such a big complex machine but part of me also misses the intuitiveness simplicity and slightly faster workflow of the MPC. But I made the decision that I'm not in a rush to learn everything and become a master over night so I went with the MV (which I know will probably take me a couple years to really master inside and out).

Just my 2 cents

This is great, almost exactly how i feel about it too. I almost feel the gear lust coming on, but with my Korg Karma, MP-7, Fantom XR, MPC 2500, and all the software(cubase, sonar, ableton), i don't have time to be trying to learn something complex like that. I have watched Mike Acosta make that thing sing, but I want to do work, and the MPC gets it done. I would never argue that the MPC can do more than the MV, but it does what I need it to do. I think the MV is a do it all machine and would be great if that was all i used, and maybe 1 workstation with it.....it would then be just 2 pieces to mess with, and I could do it all on there, but with 4 midi outs and everything in 1 window, the MPC makes it easier for me to work.

What kind of boggles my mind is how easy the Fantom X sequencers are to use, and then how you need the manual with the MV, Roland may have made it a little more difficult than it had to be. I have played the Fantom boards many times and it was real easy.......press record.....everthing on 1 screen.......set metronome, count in, go to work.

Back