Akai MPC 4000 or Roland MV-8800

Man after doing a little research I think I'm about ready to make a switch to the MV. I've been a little fustraded and feel like I've hit a celing with the MPC 1000 (even with the JJ OS). I am a mostly sample based producer and although the mpc started aout as an intuitive machine for me I think I may have outgrown it. Time for a new challange!

From what i've checked on at the store though you're really only doing something different than the MPC if you go with the 8800.

What can the MV do that Logic ore even Fruity Loops can't do? I'm a melody-based hip hop producer who doen't rely AT ALL on sampling. What the heck can the MV do for the piano man? With the MV, I'd still need to use my DAW for instruments and for recording enough vocals!
:D:D:D:D

Well mr piano man , then you pretty much answered your own question , so it seems pretty stupid to ask it in the first place. Ive been an avid Logic user since Logic 6 and let me tell you the creative & compostional process between Logic and the MV is night and day. The sequencer in the MV is pretty flexible and FAST in terms of laying down ideas and using different types of quantize in REAL-TIME over all 128 midi tracks. It really lets you massage your tracks into the feel you want. Logic does have some extensive quantizing options but it does NOT react and behave the way the MV does. Overall the writing process for me and use of samples in the MV is way faster and more inspiring , then after i have some good solid ideas down and drum tracks i track them into Logic and finish the composition there with the added plugs & virtual instruments. Can you do some of the crazy sample choppping and other cool sample features the MV does in Logic ? yes but you have initiate a bunch of plug-ins and set it all up first which takes time. The MV is very quick and to the point and my drums sound way better tracking them out of the MV into Logic rather than loading the same exact samples into the EXS24 or Kontakt BY FAR !!
In the end its all about whatever workflow suites you best.

I'm Reassured

I was waiting for this answer! Thank you TechHouseGruv. I'm looking forward to purchasing the MV 8800 because i'm sick with creating my music on my computer. As you said, the computer is great for dumping your ideas onto it and enhansing songs, but not for inspiring you to make music. Even for myself it is so much easier for me to come up with hit music concepts on my silly casio piano than "in the box." My only problem is that I need something to actually record the layers of music I have racing in my head on the spot. I heared some people say that the workflow was nice on the MV 8800, so I just wanted somebody out there to further assert this claim. Now I will be saving all my money for the "MPC killa," sounds for it, and a good 88 -weighted key piano controller. Later on I'm thinking about upgrading to sound modules, but all I need to make good music now is what I already have: a passion, an ear, and a piano. Peace, TechHouseGruv.
:cheers:

TechHouseGruv said:
Yo man MV-8800 all the way , hands down , MPC's overall really have nothing over on the MV series that constitute the MPC being better for overall production.

MV-8800 is mad heat and ive used ALL MPC's and would NEVER go back.

Exact same thoughts over here, can't go wrong with 'em, although I must say I like my 4000s as well.

The MV is a dope macine and does beat the MPC spec wise. I personally just like the MPC's workflow better. I do wish the MPC had a VGA out and daw like main screen.

youngjboy said:
I personally just like the MPC's workflow better.

People that say this often haven't really given the MV a real chance. It's workflow is actually very much similar as you can use it just like an MPC for the most part. It basically is a choice of which type of sequencing you decide to go for.

Bananasass said:
People that say this often haven't really given the MV a real chance. It's workflow is actually very much similar as you can use it just like an MPC for the most part. It basically is a choice of which type of sequencing you decide to go for.

Well, I haven't really had a lot of hands on time with the MV. When I demo'd it in the store and then demo'd the MPC 2500, the 2500 was much easier for me to get a sequence going....even with no manual available. The MV's flow seemed much more computer DAW like to a certain degree which also has advantages. I watched the getting started videos with Mike Acosta and it pretty much confirmed my beliefs. I ended up getting the 2500 in the end. I know the MV can do more, but I like the easy sequencing of the 2500. And as I always say, both are dope in their own right and I have no bias against Roland.....got a fantom XR sitting in the rack.

Nah, but I don't blame you... whatever floats your boat. Take it from me though, half of the work flow comes from knowing your machine. They ain't the same, but I totally think the MV is as easy to get into as the 2500. It's just more complex having more features.

Cop that....

Yo, you cannot go wrong with the MV-8800 or even MV-8000. 8800 even dropped in price since it first came out. I myself have never used the MPC but went str8 for the MV. I will say that u are at an advantage because ur familiar with the MPC, so it will not be hard to make the conversion. The MV is very user friendly, and the more u use it, the more u learn. It's like a constant light bulb going off in ur heard and it keeps the creativity flowing. Far as quantizing, u can choose to quantize the tracks individually, or as a whole. It has has all the inputs by default that you'll need in the back of the unit to connect all ur other equipment. If u also choose to pick a midi keyboard to go along with it, I'd recommend the Fantom S, X, or G series. They both play together perfectly like two kids on a playground. Plus it comes default with 30 GB hard drive, and plenty of pre-loadd sounds to keep u bumpin for days. Not mention roland offers several drum and analog kits free of charge, all u gotta do is go the Roland website and download. I chose the MV cause it was the latest piece in the game and the MPC just didn't impress me. The best way for u to get familiar with it is with a buddy that already has it, and the Utube tutorial videos. It also come with a quick start CD-ROM. I learned it without the screen at first then put a screen on it, and the workflow just got even easier once I learned what icons where which. In ur mind, u already have the MV, u just gotta walk the walk. I promise u wont be disappointed, plus what other workstation/beat machine has several websites dedicated to it for further learning(MV-Nation)?!! COP THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Bananass, what ever platform u get, u need to learn it to realize it's full capabilities as well as ur own. I think it boils down to what ever the user feels most comfortable with.

Tohtruck said:
In all honesty the MV is overblown and has more stuff than I actually need. I was pretty much fine for the most part with the 2500, the MV adds a couple more nice convenient features that are very useful. But I can tell that there is a huge bulk of it that I will probably never use.

The main selling point was the price. I felt like I was being cheated as the MPC 2500 (and MPCs in general) are waaay overpriced. For the money I was paying, I felt as though I might as well save my money (as I actually ended up making money by selling my MPC and buying a used MV) and get the bigger machine with more features. I was also unhappy with Akai's support of the 2500. Their updates stink and they are cheating honest dedicated customers. The JJ OS was my only reason for even holding on to it for as long as I did. At least with the MV I can have a little more confidence that they will only add to the OS and strive to make their customers happy.

The most annoying thing about the MV tho is the midi situation. At first I thought I could probably live with 2 midi outs but now I realize that I am constantly wanting to build up my production set-up (yes I am afflicted with gear lust). But at the same time it is a hidden blessing as it just gives me another reason to not buy more gear Dawg, now u talkin reckless. How can a piece of equipment be overblown by having to many feature and capabilities?? If u wanna be stuck back in time and limit ur possibilities, get a set of turn tables and call it a day. Realize the music industry is forever evolving and it's up to the artist/producer/engineer to step their game up and get in where they fit in. There's a reason why the MV is packed with features, so u have room to grow in your sound. Why else does Akai multiple MPC's and Roland just two MV's(basically the same)?? Akai had to put out numerous models to stay in the race with the MV. The MV shut the game down the same way OpenLabs Meko/Neko took over workstation all-in-one platforms. Check out the RZA on YouTube talking about the MV verses other platforms to include the differences of software. But once again, it all depends on what the user feels most comfy with, plus what ever u get, u need to learn it thoroughly.

Last edited:
My name is the quezzt and im a master at mpc but im havin a real problem tryin to use my mpc tricks on the roland the quantize doesn't seem to catch the way i need it it seems off and when i look at the screen it says quantize off could that be the problem ??????

My name is the quezzt and im a master at mpc but im havin a real problem tryin to use my mpc tricks on the roland the quantize doesn't seem to catch the way i need it it seems off and when i look at the screen it says quantize off could that be the problem ??????

Dude are you serious?! If it says Quantize off, this obviously means quantize ís off, doh.

No wonder you guys are having 'timing issues'. You people don't ever take the time to look through a manual and learn your gear. In fact, use some common sense and forget your MPC habits and it's easy as riding a bicycle or driving a car.

I swear you guys are weird. I've been using MPCs my whole life and used MVs the moment they got released as well and both MVs do not have any kind of timing issues. If anything, it's you.

Explain to me why lots of people on MVNation (and frankly all over the world) make beats with the MV all the time, even record it on video, as can be seen on YouTube and never ever run into those odd 'timing' issues.

Anyways, as for your issue. Yes, of course you need to switch quantize ON if you want to use it. But remember there's two kinds of quantize, input quantize and non-destructive quantize you can set for each track separately.

Do some reading up on this in your manual. It's only like 5 lines explaining it all. It makes perfect sense, but people should really stop thinking there's something wrong with their gear, when in fact they just don't understand it at all.

I'm a 4000 user. Didn't get into the MV because of all the menus. I guess it's a cool unit. But don't sleep on the MPC 4000. It's what Nemark has been trying to perfect. The 5000 is a flop. But if you are new to MPC's, you might like it. I come from an era of the MPC 3000, own the 60II, 3000, and 4000.
Just research both units. You should be happy with either one. Good Luck.

I bet you changed your mind looking at some YouTube movies or what?

In fact, the MV8800 doesn't even have loads of menus. I'm thinking you never touched one.

Started making beats about 6 years ago got the privilege to start off with an MPC 4000.
After I sold it bought an MPC 1000 but it wasn’t the same saved up for anther MPC 4000 nothing compared but could afford the 1400$ so I sold it again. Hey I need the money….
Ok now I wanted to make music / beats again.. but no way I have 1400$ for a mpc4000 and I don’t recommend the 1000……

SO after reading a bunch of reviews …I found a MV 8000 for 375$ had to buy it .. 1000$ less then the 4000 …….how is it???????
<O:p></O:p>
I love it took me about 1month to learn and made a few beats already I posted one on my my space so yall can compare it the MPC4000 I also have MPC beats…the mV8000 makes it real easy to sample but I sampled from the TV and it’s a bit static ie but the MV 800sounds good.to me will post more beats as I make them… don’t believe the bad post on MVs ……….1000$ cheaper is way worth it..

go to myspace dot com / d1anonlyproductions

Back