808's compressed or no?

I never use compression. Definitely not on 808's. If I want to make an 808 hit harder and stand out in the mix, I boost the low-end and turn everything else down in the mix. Really simple.

Saturation?

Distortion?

Why a compressor?

Why is the sky blue?

Why do fools fall in love?

Why ask why?

Why not bounce the beat and bounce the 808 solo and blend to taste?

Why use plug ins that are crap on an 808 sample recorded with the real hardware shit?

Why not use a fake 808 from a drum machine other than 808?

And when all else fails.........just grab the limiter pkug in. Done!!!!!! Because I'm sleepy, and ready to get this over with now. Don't even like the beat no more....I did but now......what was I thinking....limiter on 20 tracks it is then..Fuuck it!!!

all the others are rhetorical questions framed as sarcastic responses to each piece of advice given in this thread, that do not need answering

but the sky is blue because it is the colour that white light separates into when sunlight hits the atmosphere and is deflected/refracted by all the dust particles in the sky, the same thing also occurs when we get red skies - think prisms and how they refract light into the rainbow spectrum (dark side of the moon cover is a depiction of this phenomenon) (same action occurs in a rainbow in fact: the water droplets cause the light to refract (bend) into the component colours of white light)

of all the answers offered , I'd trust deranged's answer most......

Compression is only really good for 808s if you want the note to be more sustained. Most of the 808s I have are not suitable as sustained or having a long tail. I don't use compression at all for making it hit hard I am confident in my samples as they are in that regard.

yagi

Most newer 808 samples you find today have already been overcompressed. I still use kits from stuff like FL(vintage kit) and Battery that are dated for just that reason.

In 2013, you shouldn't have to look hard for a good hitting 808. Kick in general. Compression shouldn't be appearing in you mix channels much while making a BEAT.

Not sure who created the rumor that it makes things "hit harder". It levels things, but not needed much in the world of digital production with the quality of samples available today.

Hell, even when compressing drums was in, guys I knew were using it to mash different drum samples together and make them bleed in a natural way...not to 'make drums knock".

EQ is more of that dept, and EQ on a master track can make things "knock" jst as easily as adding it to just 1 kick if you have a multiband EQ and understand frequencies.

I've said this since 2004 though.

I think it was one of your old posts that had me doing this. Normally I Low pass my 808's. because I don't need all the top end. Apply a lil boost around 150hz. Cut Below 30. Cut all of my instruments that aren't bassy below 200hz. Do a lil panning on the other instruments and it gives the 808 plenty of room to breathe and boom. The rest is just volume control. Turn some of the other instruments down a lil

Back