8 tips for Improving Lyricism

• Thread starter TestamentRapper
  • Start date
I keep a note on my phone of random phrases and ideas i like. Thanks!1!

Thanks for giving tips on lyricism. It is gonna help me in improving my lyrics.

Thanks a lot man for taking your time to write this really helpful guideline!

Big up from Brazil!

No problem. On a personal note doing all of these daily really helps. I have advanced a lot in the past month by practicing freestyling and writing spoken word poetry.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

No problem. I wrote it for others, but also for myself. My message is extremely important, and so I have to be the absolute best that I can be. This was a reminder. God bless you.

Great post

I found freestyle games are the best..

Like rhyming games... Focus on the word to rhyme not the filler so much.
Exercise that vocab!

These tips were great. They hit every nail on the board perfectly. I would also like to add also that reading is fundamental. When you read, you open your mind up to more words, events, and people to use in writing your lyrics. You can't call yourself a lyricists and rap the same thing over and over.

I'd say something that has gone unnoticed would be going beyond freestyling with words but rather even freestyle melodies. Be it when I'm rapping or singing, I'm constantly freestyling and recording potential melodies to use, despite not knowing the words yet as it may dictate the vibe of the story you wish to convey as well. Overall, good list though.

thanks for the tip this also helps when your producing music your flow can give you some direction towards which way you want the beat to go if you don't have a rapper around

Not to be a downer but those tips are just going to keep you on a basic level with 99% of the other writers on planet earth.
Half of that stuff most people will do even the garbage kids will do that stuff.

I would also like to mention that rap is not about stories.
You do not HAVE to fit your verses into stories in fact half my verses are not fitted into stories.
They go with the general topic but I am not making stories out of all my raps.

You can simply see songs from cassidy or even eminem where they spit nothing but bars and its not even on topic WITH ANYTHING.

The only reason why I am even bringing this up is because some of these people legit think they are going to become lyrical with just those tips.
I had to write for 8 years to get on the level I am on and most people put in so much time and they will tell you those tips alone won't even put you near 8% as more lyrical.

There is just way to much to learn to become more lyrical and it cannot be expressed on one page or 10 minutes or even 10 hours.

You simply have to put in your work and I put in 8 years of work.

Now people are legit thinking that 10 minutes can recreate the work of great famous artist or get them somewhat on their level.

All I have to say is telling them TO RHYME 2 WORDS on the end rhymes is a way better tip that actually improves their lyrics and how it flows/sounds. That tip alone will put them on a higher lyrical scale than 60% of rappers who rap.

WHy because I still see garbage kids who are rhyming only one word.

Sorry for anyone that gets offended I'm just telling you whats up, if you still rhyme one word per bar you are pretty garbage and should never claim your lyrical.

I'm not saying you can't make a hit song with being garbage lyrically but the topic is lyrical and one word rhyming is something a baby fetus could do.

People don't get your hopes up you still have 5 or more years to actually see what you are truely capable of.
The question is will you put in that many years of work just to find out like some of us did?
I sense many of you will literally not even make 5 offical songs this year.
Why because everyone wants to be a rapper until they have to put in time/effort and work.

Back